Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389116 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5805 on: October 05, 2016, 03:51:22 pm »

This could explain why Tim Kaine, who is supposed to be a human sweatervest, came across like an internet flame warrior last night.  Maybe it was a deliberate strategy but it wasn't aimed at Pence, it was aimed at Trump.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: October 05, 2016, 03:57:09 pm »

So word around the Twitblogoball is that Trump is not happy with Pence not coming to his defense last night, and even MORE unhappy that he upstaged him by not shitting the proverbial bed onstage.

Anyone else think Pence is already thinking ahead to Pence '20?
Definitely been seeing a lot of speculation that he is, at least. Consensus seems to be that pence kinda' threw trump under the bus during that debate, heh, and trying to gather cred for a later run is one of the more obvious motivations for doing so.

And yeah, that's basically been the conclusion folks're reaching, m. Pence was debating for himself (and maybe the republicans), Kane was doing one to take shots at trump. Pence manages a slim win for the debate but Kane does it for the campaign itself. Iirc the clinton web folks already have ads out, at least one with pence saying trump didn't say X on one side and trump saying said X on the other, if my memory's working right and I didn't hallucinate that tweet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: October 05, 2016, 04:05:12 pm »

I dont really see how that is a strategy that builds the Pence brand.  Maybe it distances him from a sinking ship but it doesn't actually make him look good like he would if he aggressively advocated for the Republican party line.  He could have tried to establish himself like Paul Ryan as the ideas guy who stands out from the GOP mob.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: October 05, 2016, 04:14:15 pm »

*waggles hand* He did sorta' advocate for the republican party line, at least from what I glanced over of the transcript. He just didn't advocate for trump.

Though from what I can tell being an "ideas guy" would actually be fairly antithetical to pence's brand. Doesn't really seem to be what he's been running on.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:15:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: October 05, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

Uuuuuuugh fucking Pence.  Don't even joke about Pence 2020.  This is the guy that put Indiana on a global spotlight for being one of the most backwards places in the country, so badly that major businesses threatened to boycott the state.  The guy that brags about Indiana having a $210 million budget surplus, because he cut funding to every infrastructure and program he could get away with, just so the government could pointlessly sit on the money.  The guy that's presided over such a sharp spike in crime rates, that Indianapolis police have sought counseling from Detroit law enforcement to help cope.

My feelings about this are similar to Frumple's on Jeb Bush.  I was only able to watch a few minutes of the VP debate, because watching Pence successfully portray himself as the more reasonable personality was so   horrifying to me.  Pence 2020 would be the most regressive theocratic threat in Federal government I've seen in my adult life.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: October 05, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »

Uuuuuuugh fucking Pence.  Don't even joke about Pence 2020.  This is the guy that put Indiana on a global spotlight for being one of the most backwards places in the country, so badly that major businesses threatened to boycott the state.  The guy that brags about Indiana having a $210 million budget surplus, because he cut funding to every infrastructure and program he could get away with, just so the government could pointlessly sit on the money.  The guy that's presided over such a sharp spike in crime rates, that Indianapolis police have sought counseling from Detroit law enforcement to help cope.

My feelings about this are similar to Frumple's on Jeb Bush.  I was only able to watch a few minutes of the VP debate, because watching Pence successfully portray himself as the more reasonable personality was so   horrifying to me.  Pence 2020 would be the most regressive theocratic threat in Federal government I've seen in my adult life.
As opposed to Pat McCrory, who has put a global spotlight on North Carolina for being one of the most backwards places in the country, so badly that major businesses have boycotted the state.

So yeah, I grok you. If Trump had tapped McCrory and ol' Coalash Pat was up there trying to seem Presidential, I'd be needing a new TV/monitor/whatever.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: October 05, 2016, 05:03:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: October 05, 2016, 05:04:14 pm »

So many years of effort, and now every West Cost liberal and smug Euro associates "North Carolina" with "Bathroom Nazis". Fucking madness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: October 05, 2016, 05:09:42 pm »

Though yeah, re: pence, I've half thought the guy was chosen specifically so people would be afraid to assassinate or impeach trump for fear of the VP taking over, since I had any idea who the thing was. It's difficult to find someone you could conceivably less like to have in a position of national power than trump, but the GOP managed it.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: October 05, 2016, 05:11:13 pm »

So many years of effort, and now every West Cost liberal and smug Euro associates "North Carolina" with "Bathroom Nazis". Fucking madness.
Shit, even Hurricane Matthew is cancelling its visit to NC. You know you've hit rock bottom when forces of nature are boycotting you.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: October 05, 2016, 05:16:11 pm »

Eh, people always say the Veep pick is to discourage idealist assassins. Which isn't to say that it might not be standard practice...
Shit, even Hurricane Matthew is cancelling its visit to NC. You know you've hit rock bottom when forces of nature are boycotting you.
The future Night of the Vampire Squid is looking more and more necessary every day.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: October 05, 2016, 05:29:33 pm »

There was a poll that had a hypothetical Pence clinton matchup and clinton was only one point ahead. The same poll had clinton beating trump by 10 so it was probably a Democratic leaning sample. Seems Pence has done a good job rebranding himself nationwide.

But I think he will face the same problem as Santorum. A lot of people vying for the niche and the target evengelical voters have the loyalty of an amnesiac prostitute. Any supporters he has now will either leave for establishment Republicans because they fit that ideology better or will be up for grabs in a crowded field with much more attention grabbing competition.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: October 05, 2016, 05:39:57 pm »

So, if the two candidates were replaced by those two squid aliens from the Simpsons, how improved is the election?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: October 05, 2016, 05:40:39 pm »

At least people would actually fight alien invaders.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: October 05, 2016, 05:41:11 pm »

Well, I think we're legally allowed to hit invading aliens with nail boards, so...by about 1000%?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 1249