Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389497 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5580 on: October 04, 2016, 04:01:19 am »

I'm all for some Trump-bashing. But that statement is just a normal horrors of war / PTSD statement. Some people do handle the things they see better than others. That's reality even if it's "PC" to pretend everyone is the same. Some people get PTSD and other don't from the exact same stimuli. You can't tell me that it's "PC" to pretend there's no difference there.
I meant this part: "folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it" but included the rest because it was part of the quote. I'm no fan of political correctness, in case I hadn't made that clear in the past.

Just the bit where it sure sounds like he's saying "if you got PTSD it's cause you're not strong" since he tends to do that sort of "I'm saying something, now I wouldn't say this directly, but you know what I mean" weasel words crap, there's no inherent assumption that "well maybe he didn't mean to insult everybody with PTSD for being wussies" here.
It's still a mistake to bash Trump over this, since there are like 5 other scandals that sprung in recent 4 days, and all of them are far more damning than this "can be potentially interpreted as hostile". Media needs to stop treating Trump as a conventional candidate, for which one such misstep is a big deal.

Trump takes refugee in audacity, his crimes are so numerous that they will blur into background noise if you just list them all. What media needs to do is to keep their focus on one-two most unambiguously bad issues and just repeatedly bash on them. That will do much more damage to Trump, because it will be much more easily memorized and convertible-to-anti-Trump-chants.

Just look at anti-Hillary campaign to see how that works.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: October 04, 2016, 04:04:09 am »

Trump's making people jumpy, now they're jumping at shadows.

Methinks the enraged pundits have PTSD: President Trump Sensitivity Disorder.

Basically, if anyone except Trump made that comment, e.g. if Obama made that PTSD disorder comment to a room full of veterans, and Rush Limbaugh was the one turning around and saying Obama was implying veterans are weak, we'd be attacking Limbaugh for being a douchebag who reads too much into a sentence.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:06:45 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: October 04, 2016, 04:05:49 am »

I dunno, I guess if I look at it and pretend it was someone else saying that I could see what you're talking about, but like I said, there's no inherent assumption of good intent with him, especially as he's not exactly shy about going after vets.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: October 04, 2016, 04:09:47 am »

Trump is now bragging that his exploitation of tax laws makes him a genius, and that he intends to 'fix' the tax laws so that they cannot be exploited in the future.

My question, why is he only saying these things after his tax information got leaked? If his exploits really are the mark of genius, why hasn't he been bragging about them since he was first questioned about his taxes? If he is planning major tax reform that is going to affect tons of people, why didn't he think we deserved to know about it sooner?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: October 04, 2016, 04:34:07 am »

Trump is now bragging that his exploitation of tax laws makes him a genius, and that he intends to 'fix' the tax laws so that they cannot be exploited in the future.

My question, why is he only saying these things after his tax information got leaked? If his exploits really are the mark of genius, why hasn't he been bragging about them since he was first questioned about his taxes? If he is planning major tax reform that is going to affect tons of people, why didn't he think we deserved to know about it sooner?
That assumes that you don't already believe Trump on his word when he says that he's a "great businessman with winning attitude". Trump does not target people who need facts. He targets people with emotions, because he's a con-man. A bad con-man, since he's easily provoked when called out, as seen by Hillary toreador-ing the shit out of him during the first debate, but a con-man nonetheless.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: October 04, 2016, 04:40:29 am »

To be fair, even if he didn't go into details, he did say something like "I know how to exploit the system, so I can fix it" for a long time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: October 04, 2016, 07:34:42 am »

To be fair, even if he didn't go into details, he did say something like "I know how to exploit the system, so I can fix it" for a long time.

So, when he says "Make America great again." what he means is, clean up the broken tax system now that he's done getting rich by abusing loopholes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: October 04, 2016, 07:39:17 am »

That kind of parallels the rich countries complaining about developing countries using coal or oil to industrialize. Some countries got really rich via fossil fuels which polluted the planet, now it's a problem so they want to close that route to everyone. But they still want to hoard the wealth they made. If it's unethical to use fossil fuels to enrich yourself, then the correct ethical thing to do is for those who already benefited to use some of that ill-gotten gains to help provide alternatives for everyone else.

Though I couldn't imagine a situation in which Trump actually made good on any "closing tax loopholes" rhetoric.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:51:22 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: October 04, 2016, 07:48:26 am »

That kind of parallels the rich countries complaining about developing countries using coal or oil to industrialize.

Some countries got really rich via fossil fuels which polluted the planet, now it's a problem so they want to close that route to everyone. But they still want to hoard the wealth they made.

Or using protectionism.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: October 04, 2016, 07:53:01 am »

I'd be particularly surprised if soldiers, of all people, fall for the 'Hey look, if we twist these words around we can make them into something that could possibly be insensitive!' shtick.

Regardless, it seems fairly obvious to me that his intent is sympathy toward those who are suffering from PTSD rather than any kind of disparagement.
You'd think, and if you were talking about a person with much of that whole "basic decency" thing it wouldn't be a question, but this is the guy that's spent a chunk of this campaign cycle attacking vets and/or their families. That among all the other stuff that's shown his character is not exactly stellar, to pretty drastically understate things.

It would be entirely in line with previous behavior if he was in fact taking a moment to shit on vets that come back with PTSD, which is most of the reason folks are looking at the statement in question with askance. The context would make you think otherwise, but trump being trump it's still entirely too much of a possibility.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: October 04, 2016, 07:56:40 am »

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/03/trump-has-not-tried-to-close-loopholes-that-help-him-nyt-columnist-says.html

No surprise, but none of the tax loopholes Trump has suggested fixing are in industries related to him. So his insider knowledge is worth squat. e.g. he's attacked hedge fund managers and the like. Which is a whole area he's not even involved in.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: October 04, 2016, 08:02:19 am »

The single issue does not appear to have made Hillary as unpopular as the shotgun has made Trump:

That kind of parallels the rich countries complaining about developing countries using coal or oil to industrialize. Some countries got really rich via fossil fuels which polluted the planet, now it's a problem so they want to close that route to everyone. But they still want to hoard the wealth they made. If it's unethical to use fossil fuels to enrich yourself, then the correct ethical thing to do is for those who already benefited to use some of that ill-gotten gains to help provide alternatives for everyone else.

Since it's my job to be the neo-liberal shill I'm going to point out that the approach towards poor countries is a little bit more then to thumb our nose at them and say I got mine.  First and foremost the period of time when rich countries were enriching themselves with carbon emissions also saw rapid technological improvement.  With those technologies it's possible for less developed countries to rapidly modernize even as they limit their carbon emissions.  India and Angola are a lot better off being in a world where they can use Haber process fertilizers and dwarf wheat while limiting carbon emissions then a world where they can emit freely but dont have the Haber process and the green revolution.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: October 04, 2016, 08:27:18 am »

The single issue does not appear to have made Hillary as unpopular as the shotgun has made Trump:

Well, at least one of major Trump drops in popularity on that graph correspond to the time when media was coherently pushing one scandal (i.e. his comments on Khans). The aftermath recovery period saw just as many potential scandals as before or after, but because there wasn't a clear focus, his popularity has started to go up again.

Again, Clinton is only slightly more popular than Trump, despite having infinitely lesser amount of dirt than him. And it's all because media have been pushing Clinton's scandals in a far more memorable manner, one scandal at a time - if only simply because she doesn't have much scandal-worth material.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: October 04, 2016, 09:08:54 am »

... man, does anyone have any idea what's going on with wikileaks besides them/assawhatever being a loon? There's something about a major release, then there's not, then it's the next day, now it's apparently a misquote and book shill?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: October 04, 2016, 09:23:50 am »

... man, does anyone have any idea what's going on with wikileaks besides them/assawhatever being a loon? There's something about a major release, then there's not, then it's the next day, now it's apparently a misquote and book shill?

\/O\/

Shame on the Republicans though if they were depending on a not-set-in-stone wikileaks release to 'destroy' clinton.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1249