Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389511 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5565 on: October 04, 2016, 01:44:33 am »

Are we sure that florida isn't just a giant brain parasite that attached itself to america in 2016 and has just altered all our memories to make us think it was there all along.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: October 04, 2016, 01:48:18 am »

Well, how could america be such a massive dick if it didn't have that giant schlong?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: October 04, 2016, 01:55:15 am »

Plenty of states could be schlongs. And america was jerks before we had a florida anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: October 04, 2016, 02:10:56 am »

*Texas looks around and quietly slips out the door whistling*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: October 04, 2016, 02:12:45 am »

Plenty of states could be schlongs. And america was jerks before we had a florida anyway.

Florida is what happens when you click those "enlarge your penis" ad.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: October 04, 2016, 02:16:33 am »

Guys

I just wanna say

We can get bad sometimes but thank god we aren't other forums bad.

Like seriously it feels like our spats are two nobles slapping each other with a glove taken off in comparison sometimes.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: October 04, 2016, 02:24:13 am »

Well, compared to florida, sure it is. Not a high bar to pass.

Could actually swear I remember the fatality rate vis a vis death via animal is either roughly on par or higher in florida than australia, too. Theoretically it's not saying that much since the actual death rate in either isn't high when it comes to the reality of things, but... yeah. Yeah.

The animal threat in Australia is massively overstated.
http://www.bobinoz.com/migration-advice/australias-killer-creatures-the-truth-about-deaths/
Basically this person tallied and averaged all the deaths from crocodiles, spiders, snakes, sharks, jellyfish, octupus etc. Works out at 5 per year (actually, spiders, which everyone seems the most worried about haven't killed anyone in 40 years). Then you have the real killers. 20 people die from horse riding accidents per year. 10 people are stung to death by European honey bees.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:31:01 am by Reelya »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: October 04, 2016, 02:29:54 am »

Well yeah, Reelya, when you grow up in the land of Death of course you become tough as spider-nails.

They're like normal nails, but poisoned. Because Australia.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: October 04, 2016, 02:35:20 am »

Well, compared to florida, sure it is. Not a high bar to pass.

Could actually swear I remember the fatality rate vis a vis death via animal is either roughly on par or higher in florida than australia, too. Theoretically it's not saying that much since the actual death rate in either isn't high when it comes to the reality of things, but... yeah. Yeah.

The animal threat in Australia is massively overstated. Two of the most likely animal causes are horse-riding accidents or being stung by regular European honey bees.

For comparison, all those deadly spiders we have? Someone died of a spiderbite back in the 1970s.

You'd have to want to get bitten/stung for quite a few things. Don't stick your finger in a spider web, wear gloves and long pants when moving logs that have sat for a while. Even then, antidotes exist for pretty much everything poisonous and I don't think there's anything poisonous that would kill you fast enough you couldn't get medical help before hand.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: October 04, 2016, 02:41:18 am »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-veterans-ptsd-not-strong-229050

“When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat — and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” Trump said. “And they see horror stories. They see events that you couldn’t see in a movie. Nobody would believe it.”

Ever seen Uncle Joe pissed off?

Now ya have.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: October 04, 2016, 02:52:39 am »

You'd have to want to get bitten/stung for quite a few things. Don't stick your finger in a spider web, wear gloves and long pants when moving logs that have sat for a while. Even then, antidotes exist for pretty much everything poisonous and I don't think there's anything poisonous that would kill you fast enough you couldn't get medical help before hand.

I'd be more worried about the Americans now that indiscriminate shotgunning of everything that rattles has caused the evolution of silent rattle snakes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: October 04, 2016, 02:56:17 am »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-veterans-ptsd-not-strong-229050

“When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat — and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” Trump said. “And they see horror stories. They see events that you couldn’t see in a movie. Nobody would believe it.”

Ever seen Uncle Joe pissed off?

Now ya have.

I'm all for some Trump-bashing. But that statement is just a normal horrors of war / PTSD statement. Some people do handle the things they see better than others. That's reality even if it's "PC" to pretend everyone is the same. Some people get PTSD and other don't from the exact same stimuli. You can't tell me that it's "PC" to pretend there's no difference there.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:08:09 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: October 04, 2016, 03:01:26 am »

Oh, come on, like you don't know the Australian Tourism Bureau suppress the animal deaths. Why do you think "gun death" went down so much since 1996 when more effective anti-venoms became available? Everyone knows gun control doesn't work.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: October 04, 2016, 03:04:22 am »

They're suppressing the existence of drop bears actually. 1996 was the year they got a grip on culling the little flying monstrosities, and guns weren't needed as much.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:08:32 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: October 04, 2016, 03:32:28 am »

I'm all for some Trump-bashing. But that statement is just a normal horrors of war / PTSD statement. Some people do handle the things they see better than others. That's reality even if it's "PC" to pretend everyone is the same. Some people get PTSD and other don't from the exact same stimuli. You can't tell me that it's "PC" to pretend there's no difference there.
I meant this part: "folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it" but included the rest because it was part of the quote. I'm no fan of political correctness, in case I hadn't made that clear in the past.

Just the bit where it sure sounds like he's saying "if you got PTSD it's cause you're not strong" since he tends to do that sort of "I'm saying something, now I wouldn't say this directly, but you know what I mean" weasel words crap, there's no inherent assumption that "well maybe he didn't mean to insult everybody with PTSD for being wussies" here.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1249