Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390996 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5325 on: September 30, 2016, 07:32:33 pm »

I think you all are taking my suggestion far more seriously than it was intended.

However, you're also assuming that the Federal government would vanish overnight, when what I said was "devolve". Meaning a more orderly transition of power, something akin to what happened with USSR->CIS->Russia and a bunch of other new countries.

I would see it as a transition to a weak confederation of all 50 states, which would then transition to regional supragovernments that the states would form and join of their own design. You'd probably see CA, WA and OR form one; NY and the New England states form one, the upper Midwest form one, the South form one (and yes, it would probably be some half-assed attempt to reform the Confederacy), etc.

I've come to believe that democracy has both a minimum and maximum optimal size. Three people doesn't make for a good democracy. Neither does three billion. Honestly, I think even America's ~318 million has surpassed the optimal maximum. If we continue to grow, we're either going to move towards a more authoritarian central government like China, or a hopelessly broken decentralized democracy like India. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the optimal maximum is 200-250 million, though cultural factors will change that. A heterogenous population is going to have a lower effective max than a homogenous one.

Breaking the US up into smaller, more homogenous chunks potentially means better, more responsive governance for everyone. Not that I expect to see it in my lifetime (unless it's done the quick and ugly way, which I'd rather not see) but I think long-term the US is unsustainable in its current form.
So, to compensate for the failure of the EU, you want t beak up the US?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:49 pm »

I think you all are taking my suggestion far more seriously than it was intended.

However, you're also assuming that the Federal government would vanish overnight, when what I said was "devolve". Meaning a more orderly transition of power, something akin to what happened with USSR->CIS->Russia and a bunch of other new countries.

I would see it as a transition to a weak confederation of all 50 states, which would then transition to regional supragovernments that the states would form and join of their own design. You'd probably see CA, WA and OR form one; NY and the New England states form one, the upper Midwest form one, the South form one (and yes, it would probably be some half-assed attempt to reform the Confederacy), etc.

I've come to believe that democracy has both a minimum and maximum optimal size. Three people doesn't make for a good democracy. Neither does three billion. Honestly, I think even America's ~318 million has surpassed the optimal maximum. If we continue to grow, we're either going to move towards a more authoritarian central government like China, or a hopelessly broken decentralized democracy like India. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the optimal maximum is 200-250 million, though cultural factors will change that. A heterogenous population is going to have a lower effective max than a homogenous one.

Breaking the US up into smaller, more homogenous chunks potentially means better, more responsive governance for everyone. Not that I expect to see it in my lifetime (unless it's done the quick and ugly way, which I'd rather not see) but I think long-term the US is unsustainable in its current form.
So, to compensate for the failure of the EU, you want t beak up the US?
Seems fair. Plus, yet another unintended consequence of Brexit -- who knew?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: September 30, 2016, 09:53:48 pm »

MNCs are already able to exploit tax differences between states. I get the feeling making them separate countries wouldn't help. At all. Whatsoever.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: September 30, 2016, 10:46:01 pm »

Trump reverses what he said in the debate and now says he might not accept the result if Clinton wins :P https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/30/trump-clinton-support-election-winner-debate-interview

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: September 30, 2016, 10:48:50 pm »

Domestic insurrection is so 2016, like totally.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: September 30, 2016, 10:59:35 pm »

Trump reverses what he said in the debate and now says he might not accept the result if Clinton wins :P https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/30/trump-clinton-support-election-winner-debate-interview
"He lied with Monica Lewinsky and paid a massive penalty"
I almost wonder if he was going for a pun, there?  Not that it quite works but still.
And of course he refused to talk about the affair he actually, himself had... yup.  Well except "I wasn't president".  I guess arguing that it was fine because he has no leadership experience :P

As for claiming election rigging and refusing to accept the result, didn't he do the same dang thing with the primary?  Absolutely promise to honor the result, then just back out of that promise due to supposed cheating.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: September 30, 2016, 11:06:00 pm »

It'll be a great putsch, really classy. Generals, admirals, these guys love me, veterans too, they all know I'm a great leader, a great commander-in-chief. What are they gonna do?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: September 30, 2016, 11:07:19 pm »

"He lied with Monica Lewinsky and paid a massive penalty"
I almost wonder if he was going for a pun, there?  Not that it quite works but still.
And of course he refused to talk about the affair he actually, himself had... yup.  Well except "I wasn't president".  I guess arguing that it was fine because he has no leadership experience :P

As for claiming election rigging and refusing to accept the result, didn't he do the same dang thing with the primary?  Absolutely promise to honor the result, then just back out of that promise due to supposed cheating.

That was more 'promising not to bolt and run as an independent'. He really didn't contest any of the primary states he lost. There were a couple contentious spots, but nothing that wouldn't normally come up.  Given how many places are so close, like margin of error close, there very well could be some contested states.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: September 30, 2016, 11:10:59 pm »

I remember back when we were speculating if Donald Trump would or could split the Republican vote by going indie after he lost the primary, back months ago in those halcyon days when the world still made sense.

But then. 2016.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: September 30, 2016, 11:21:49 pm »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-supporters-audio-leak-228997

"Leaked audio of a conversation between Hillary Clinton and donors during a February fundraising event shows the Democrat nominee describing Bernie Sanders supporters as "children of the Great Recession" who are "living in their parents’ basement.""

Bite thy ass, Hillary.

The dumb remark aside, she seemed to sorta get it, but not all Sanders supporters are that young.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:17 pm »

Hillary Clinton is a sneering elitist, news at 11. Heh, I have to appreciate how much of a mirror this is to Mittens' 48% comment.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: September 30, 2016, 11:38:52 pm »

Hillary Clinton is a sneering elitist, news at 11. Heh, I have to appreciate how much of a mirror this is to Mittens' 48% comment.

The Romney campaign was essentially dead in the water by that point anyway. I'm curious to see whether or not this actually affects her numbers, though if I was a betting man I'd call it at "no."
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: September 30, 2016, 11:40:05 pm »

That really sums things up perfectly.  Understands my political perspective just enough to feel sorry for it.  Great way to make me feel represented.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: October 01, 2016, 06:56:25 am »

That 'children of the Great Recession' bit is not far off the mark though. Sanders-style populism is only possible due to the crisis we had.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:23 am »

The dumb remark aside, she seemed to sorta get it, but not all Sanders supporters are that young.
... consider reading the whole statement in question, smj. She didn't say they were. Some is a qualifier that exists. It denotes a portion smaller than the entirety, and usually smaller than at-most a plurality.

Maybe the tone paints a different picture, but just reading what was said it's... the same thing I've heard come out of the generation in question (and some surrounding it) talking about themselves. Right down to the wording, since "living in their parents basement" is one of the things us general lot use as shorthand for all the shit surrounding many of us having to fall back on family support now that the older generations and vagrancies of economy and whatnot have screwed us into not having as many advantages as they did. Can tell it's going to be fucked out of context and into the circus tentpole of distortion in short order, but if she said something out of line a metric ton of the people she was talking about are about as off :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 1249