Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391559 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5280 on: September 30, 2016, 09:52:54 am »

I'm sure anybody will actually get around to reducing the nuclear arsenal. That ain't happening until everyone in the club is willing to sit down for another SALT treaty.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: September 30, 2016, 10:24:15 am »

The last nuclear weapons reduction treaty was in 2011.

The entire club isn't really a problem either.  Russia and the US have most of the weapons.  It's true that China is building up and may eventually rival Russia and the US but it the two of them can keep reducing arsenals, China will have less motivation to build up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:26:24 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: September 30, 2016, 10:30:31 am »

I think of it as more of a practicality thing. If major players aren't included it opens the door for objections of unfairness, and after that you might as well just close negotiations and wait five years. Russia and America are still the only real big dogs, but we're nearing a point where they are not overwhelmingly above every other nuclear power, so the others will start to matter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: September 30, 2016, 10:51:54 am »

Getting a real kick out of lawmakers now trying to backpedal out of responsibility for JASTA. "Maybe we can come up with something to protect our troops...."

#1. The time to do that was before you passed the bill, fuckwit.

#2. It must be some magical power we have where we can hold other nations accountable for the actions of their state actors but somehow we think we can make ourselves immune from it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:13:08 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: September 30, 2016, 10:58:00 am »

I think of it as more of a practicality thing. If major players aren't included it opens the door for objections of unfairness, and after that you might as well just close negotiations and wait five years. Russia and America are still the only real big dogs, but we're nearing a point where they are not overwhelmingly above every other nuclear power, so the others will start to matter.

Russia and the US have more then 20 times the number of warheads as France (the third place).  The two of them have 90% of the world's warheads.  Each of them has over four times as much as the rest of the world combined.
http://www.icanw.org/the-facts/nuclear-arsenals/

I dont see why anyone would complain about unfairness.  If Russia and the US agree to retire 1000 warheads each that imposes no obligations on China or France.  If we get to the point where Russia and the US have under 1000 warheads each then multi-lateral talks start being important to move forward.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: September 30, 2016, 11:23:03 am »

Russia and the US have more then 20 times the number of warheads as France (the third place)
Those dastardly French, being in third place.

The good news is that they're only topped off with wheels of brie. The bad news is that they're unripe bries, as befits their extreme contempt for their enemies! (They have also developed the "a merely passable merlot" grenade, extending their offences against the Geneva Convention down to the level of the battlefield front line.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:02 am »

It was to be expected after that Scrabble guy managed to win a championship there without actually knowing the language, causing France to lose at French of all things.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: September 30, 2016, 11:35:01 am »

How and why would you sue a terrorist in any case.

Or a government for having them in their borders.

That's like suing the Oregon State Government because Ryan Bundy decided he was gonna go secessionist for the weekend.

Goddamnit democracy, stop your weird bullshit right now, or no charismatic leaders for you
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: September 30, 2016, 11:39:57 am »

Clearly someone told it that a year ago, hence this election.
Trump's got plenty of Charisma. It's Wis he's lacking. Int he's above average but not stupendous on. Hillary's the one with low Charisma, for a politician. High Int and very decent Wis, but they're only just making up for her lower ability bonus to the Diplomacy (Cha) skill. She is good enough to have very nice Sense Motive, Perception, and Gather Information skills, though, at least.

Meanwhile Donald could Bluff his way into a Beholder den, simply by force of will, apparently.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: September 30, 2016, 11:45:00 am »

Trump is obviously a legendary rogue who has been making rolls to dodge reality for years.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5290 on: September 30, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »

“I think it was just a ball dropped,” McConnell said. “I wish the president — I hate to blame everything on him and I don’t — but it would have been helpful had he, we, had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.”

This is insane. I think the last shred of respect I had for the US government is entirely gone. Burn it down, start from scratch. Or don't. I don't care. I'm moving to Iceland.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:38 pm »

Oh, I'unno about insane. Impeccably spineless, maybe. Incredibly incompetent, definitely. Shorter sighted than a shitfaced sailor, sure. Almost certain there's a better word for when someone does something grossly stupid and then blames their incompetence on someone else, but I can't remember it at the moment.

I think the most apt thing that could be done here is have everyone that voted yes fund the legal damages that hit the U.S. because of it. Probably not the best, due to the legal precedents and whatnot involved, but goddamn if you don't want to take these folks by the face and jam their head in the dump they just took on the carpet.

And hey, if it bankrupts each and every one of the idiots, all the better.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:43 pm »

“I think it was just a ball dropped,” McConnell said. “I wish the president — I hate to blame everything on him and I don’t — but it would have been helpful had he, we, had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.”

This is insane. I think the last shred of respect I had for the US government is entirely gone. Burn it down, start from scratch. Or don't. I don't care. I'm moving to Iceland.
That is a case of holy fuck, you didn't take any fucking time to think this through. 
And now your fucking lemmings overrode the veto and you are trying to say its not your fault at all cause you needed someone to spoonfeed you on why the bill you pushed through is dumb as fuck.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: September 30, 2016, 12:52:53 pm »

Obama for weeks: "This is a really incredibly bad idea."
McConnell now: "Wait this bill might have unintended consequences. Wtf Obama, why didn't you say something?"
Obama: "...you kidding me right now?"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: September 30, 2016, 01:02:11 pm »

Before we castigate our Republican friends too much, let's remember the veto override passed 97-1. Reid was the only one with enough of a spine to vote no. Plenty of other democrats also just went "America, FUCK YEAH, now re-elect me." That includes Pelosi. Although for Reid, maybe the fact he's retiring is what actually allowed him to vote for reality instead of re-election.

But I guess the rest figured "why agree with the sitting president and head of the party when he's going to be out of a job in the next three months. Welp, guess I'll just dig deeper on that America First, Fuck Everyone Else stance."

Sometimes it feels like the business of governance gets as much forethought as voting for America's Next Top Model.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:07:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1249