Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391562 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5265 on: September 29, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »

Look at the way I reacted when people objected to the idea that Jill Stein was not a respectable figure, I acknowledge that it was a unusual freaking idea and offered some unusual freaking evidence to provide it.

Umm... if you're referring to me a few pages back when we were doing the LoTR thing, then RedKing's not the only one guilty of exaggerating points.  You were comparing parties to LoTR factions, not candidates.  You labeled the Green Party as Saruman.  There was hardly any objection raised to your personification of Jill Stein herself.

Spoiler: The Post in Question (click to show/hide)

Considering every other comparison you made was directed at the party in general (except for Putin who you listed by name when comparing to Smaug), that's how I took this one, also.

So when I asked if Hillary was Denethor, you called it uncharitable.  I said this was more charitable than calling the Green Party "trying to help the forces of darkness in order to be on the winning team" (especially since Denethor wasn't really a bad character).  You then went on to explain your "No, really, Jill Stein's insane" stuff, completely missing that what bothered me was your implication that anyone on the left that doesn't trust and vote for an establishment Democrat is "trying to help the forces of darkness."  I mean, you can argue why you believe in your candidate or the importance of strategic voting all you want, and I'll grant you the validity of your perspective.  But I told you that the way you deliver your message drives should-be allies away from your party, because your stuff reads like you're literally calling people who share your goals evil, if they don't also share your placement of trust or strategies.

The best thing the Democrats could possibly do to strengthen their party is to stop shaming and alienating people on the left who have doubts that the party represents them as much as it claims to.  Democrats could run around screaming "You're all evil for not trusting us, and the apocalypse will be your fault!!", and that would summarize the experience of every election season for people on the left who are more like myself.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: September 29, 2016, 07:59:43 pm »

completely missing that what bothered me was your implication that anyone on the left that doesn't trust and vote for an establishment Democrat is "trying to help the forces of darkness."

The statement "everyone who votes left and isn't a democrat wants to help the forces of darkness" is not appropriate.

The statement "Jill Stein, her running mate and the green party establishment that supports her are trying to help the forces of darkness" is appropriate although it contains one heck of an oxymoron.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: September 29, 2016, 08:18:17 pm »

Stein likes to put the "oxy" in "oxymoron" too: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/jill-stein-gary-johnson-foreign-leaders-228899

Summary: Johnson was asked to name a foreign leader he admired, goes blank, says he was having an Aleppo moment, Stein tries to troll him over it by naming three people she respects, somehow fails to notice none of them are actually the leaders of their respective nations.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: September 29, 2016, 08:41:51 pm »

So maybe less Saruman the White and more Radagast's evil cousin Jillstein the Green.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: September 29, 2016, 09:17:05 pm »

What the fuck, how are you this brilliant and not leading the Illuminati?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: September 29, 2016, 09:50:00 pm »

So anyway.  Congress, amirite?

Quote from: Mitch McConnell
I told the president the other day that this is an example of an issue that we should have talked about much earlier.

Translation: Sure Obama vetoed it and we override his veto but it's still his fault for not stopping us!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:51:06 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: September 29, 2016, 11:12:57 pm »

The best quote I saw was "Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line."
[snip]
There's a whole lot of stuff being backed up into my lap there which makes it look like it was a response to me, or disagreeing somehow? People loved Bernie enough to support him, and be heartbroken when he said to support Hillary like the ones who love her. I could swear the never Trump crowd has been dwindling with a sigh of "ok fine, Trump" hasn't it?

@RedKing, the Trump camp would have ended up being fine with whoever won a long time before now, the fall in love/line quote didn't come out of nowhere.
Sorry, only first line was response to you, and more to the quote than you personally. I was just annoyed in general. Didn't mean to make it seem like it was aimed at you. :/
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: September 30, 2016, 12:04:13 am »

Ah, no prob, was just kinda confused if I had triggered a trap card or something.

Bit more substance in the post: former Bernie Bro has change of heart after seeing a qualified candidate standing next to a buffoon, always nice when one can admit they were wrong. Thankfully we don't have to worry about Trump ever doing that. He has the biggest judgement, the most bigly judgement even!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:50:51 am by Max™ »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: September 30, 2016, 08:17:21 am »

So anyway.  Congress, amirite?

Quote from: Mitch McConnell
I told the president the other day that this is an example of an issue that we should have talked about much earlier.

Translation: Sure Obama vetoed it and we override his veto but it's still his fault for not stopping us!

At least they're coming around to reality. And we don't know how much Obama actually engaged with congress (in all fairness, I wouldn't blame him if he completely gave up) on this, so maybe it's legit criticism.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: September 30, 2016, 08:22:42 am »

At least they're coming around to reality. And we don't know how much Obama actually engaged with congress (in all fairness, I wouldn't blame him if he completely gave up) on this, so maybe it's legit criticism.

I dont see how it is legit criticism even if Obama didn't say a single word.  They are a strong independent black woman and dont need no man branch of government.

In other news, the only investigative reporter left in politics has uncovered more dirt: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-foundation-lacks-the-certification-required-for-charities-that-solicit-money/2016/09/29/7dac6a68-8658-11e6-ac72-a29979381495_story.html
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: September 30, 2016, 08:27:08 am »

I dont see how it is legit criticism even if Obama didn't say a single word.  They are a strong independent black woman and dont need no man branch of government.

In other news, the only investigative reporter left in politics has uncovered more dirt: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-foundation-lacks-the-certification-required-for-charities-that-solicit-money/2016/09/29/7dac6a68-8658-11e6-ac72-a29979381495_story.html

Point is that Obama could have communicated with them more if that really is the case. They are a strong independent institution, yes, but Obama would still have had to make his case for why they shouldn't un-veto it.

It's rather obvious though that it was meant as a middle finger to Obama and that they knew they could do it during the lame duck session when they wouldn't have to worry about the election or anything.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:29:42 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:18 am »

You seriously think he didn't? Like, he just veto and when asked why was "Naaaah, I'm sure you can figure it on your own?"

Nah, the truth is that no one in Congress wanted to be branded as "the man that wants to denies 9/11 families the right to sue terrorist". And now they're trying to find a way to wash their hands from the consequence.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: September 30, 2016, 08:30:24 am »

Nah, the truth is that no one in Congress wanted to be branded as "the man that wants to denies 9/11 families the right to sue terrorist".

Some of them did change their votes after the veto, to their credit.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: September 30, 2016, 08:34:37 am »

You seriously think he didn't? Like, he just veto and when asked why was "Naaaah, I'm sure you can figure it on your own?"

No of course not, maybe Congress just needed more persuading. But yeah, that's a good point on the 9/11 families.

At least they're going to take a second look at it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:50 am »

Putin just changed his mind and is now endorsing Clinton: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/us/politics/hillary-clinton-obama-nuclear-policy.html
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1249