Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392199 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5115 on: September 28, 2016, 06:40:45 am »

You didn't just comment about shitpost, you said that ALL information was tainted. Do you really think it's not a fact that DT is a climate change denier?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: September 28, 2016, 07:21:51 am »

With Trump you don't even need to trust the media to pick up how often he lies either. Just look for live interviews of him talking, it won't take you too long to find him blatantly denying he said something that he is clearly on the record as saying. Unless Trump is also in on the conspiracy of course.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:00:00 am by wobbly »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: September 28, 2016, 07:51:34 am »

So I'm hearing Trump came up with a brilliant plan so he wouldn't have to do another debate without losing face?

Something about a stand-in, but the guy has to be really goo-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh fuck, he might just pull this off.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: September 28, 2016, 08:38:53 am »

To put a short, succinct answer to the criticisms leveled at my approach: I don't believe there can be such a thing as a "informed voter" in our society. Literally every piece of information we have access to is tainted by someone, somewhere putting their dick in it. Basically, I've given up on all logical methods of determining an outcome here. I don't treat this as a game, so much as a show because I sure as hell can't offer any significant effect one way or the other.
My recent questioning was aimed to see what people thought of the debate if they disregarded facts the way I do. This was done for comparison, nothing more and nothing less.
I don't consider myself to be evenhanded, I am no authority on anything at all. I'm not impartial, what I am is DISCONNECTED.

As for misko, no I don't trust any of the things you brought up. Including my own senses. Or thoughts. #paranoihilism?
Problem is, you can reduce that to "am I just a brain in a jar, and all this is fabricated for my amusement?" levels. In which case, we all need to ask our keepers to change the channel, because this show jumped the shark ages ago.

Thing is, as wobbly said, you don't even have to rely on other media. Just watch footage of Trump (unless you think it's all been subtly altered by the Powers That Be to fit their narrative, in which case, no amount of advice or tinfoil is going to help) and it doesn't take long to find him contradicting himself. Sometimes in the same goddamn speech. Or even the same paragraph.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: September 28, 2016, 09:04:57 am »

I might need to rewatch the debate. I missed parts of it towards the middle because someone who needed my attention distracted me and I feel like I missed some of the stuff that people have focused on. Does anyone know where I might find a recording? As much as I don't want to subject myself to that twice, I kinda should.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: September 28, 2016, 09:07:31 am »

Could see if google gives anything like splitscreen_wacky_waving_tubeman_vs_uncanny_valley_robot.mp4 probably, I saw most of it on youtube but the videos are hit and miss on the quality and whether they're getting copybot killed or not.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: September 28, 2016, 09:22:06 am »

Does anyone know where I might find a recording?

LMGTFY
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: September 28, 2016, 09:28:16 am »

I just realised, from perusing a debate transcript, that when Hills announced that she had a live Fact Checker on her website1, Don then immediately responded to say that so did he.

I've checked, albeit after the fact when neither would be live, and he doesn't have anything of the kind. So he either didn't think it worth keeping or... he lied about it.

1 Not the best thing to do, it can only be partisan, and the people who truly care would go elsewhere.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: September 28, 2016, 09:31:46 am »

LMGTFY
Noted.

Also reading the Politico playback enlightened me to this fact:
41 DAYS until Election Day. SIX days until the vice presidential debate in Farmville, Virginia. REMINDER: The government shuts down the day after tomorrow -- Friday -- and neither the House nor the Senate has passed a stopgap funding bill.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: September 28, 2016, 09:40:01 am »

LMGTFY
Noted.

Also reading the Politico playback enlightened me to this fact:
41 DAYS until Election Day. SIX days until the vice presidential debate in Farmville, Virginia. REMINDER: The government shuts down the day after tomorrow -- Friday -- and neither the House nor the Senate has passed a stopgap funding bill.

Huh, you'd think that would garner more attention. I've seen some stuff on Politico about Congress working to avoid a shutdown, but didn't see (or read them) when that would be. If the government does go into a shutdown, however brief, that'll be a massive, thing, in the pocket of Trump because he'll say that it's proof that we need change (and we fucking do, just not by someone of the likes of Trump. Whether Clinton truly is the person to do it is still an open question) and that the establishment is blah blah blah.

I'm one of those undecideds who can't easily choose between the two, and the two third party candidates are a no-go, especially with how close it is. I might throw my vote to Clinton because she is all but absolutely guaranteed to win California (there is a very, very, low but non-zero chance she might lose California, only way I can see that she loses California is that a lot of dems stay home or something).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:43:06 am by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: September 28, 2016, 09:47:50 am »

2016: The year that was so fucked up that an imminent government shutdown became a footnote.

There's a pretty good write-up of what's triggering this one, from FOX News, of all places.

tldr: Dems want to fund cleanup efforts in Flint, MI. GOP doesn't. GOP wants to fund cleanup efforts from flooding in Louisiana. Dems have said "We're happy to fund both, but not just Louisiana. So it's either all or nothing."

Dems have the advantage because the longer they keep Congress in session, the more likely they are to pick off some vulnerable GOP seats in the Fall. Paul Ryan desperately wants to wrap things up, and he could attach Flint funding to the Congressional resolution to fund the government, and likely get it passed with Democratic and some GOP support. But, that's what John Boehner did last year in this situation that wound up costing him his job.

McConnell may go ahead and do that anyways, because GOP Senate control is far shakier than House control. Which leaves Ryan in the unenviable position of having to be the adult in the room and follow Boehner's lead and "sell out" to bipartisanship, or take an ideological stand and be responsible for a government shutdown.

And the GOP triggering a government shutdown (over refusing to help clean up Flint's water supply) just a month before a general election could be political suicide.

Imma need more popcorn.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: September 28, 2016, 09:49:32 am »

I think we've reached the point where government shutdown has become the routine.

The fact that we keep hitting it because 1. they keep kicking the metaphorical canoilbarrel* down the road, and 2. The two sides just can't come up with a compromise and are barely able to until the last minute, and 3. They aren't doing whatever the fuck it is that they need to do so that they DON'T HAVE TO keep kicking the oilbarrel down the road, has become fucking routine, yes**.....

*Subsituted an oilbarrel for a can because a can implies it's a minor thing, which it isn't.

**I probably sound like a Trump supporter here, lol.....

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: September 28, 2016, 09:52:24 am »

Thankfully, the last time that this all went down seems to demonstrate that Obama is good at keeping everybody well informed that the budget shutdowns are not the responsibility of the Presidency, as I'm sure the GOP will try to claim. Again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: September 28, 2016, 09:54:40 am »

@redking: Wha? THAT's what they're triggered over? We need to find a way to keep Congress from using shit like that to hold the government itself hostage and go for a shutdown. We had our credit rating downgraded over shit like this for bleeping sakes. Although we did become like 'Actually, AA rating isn't that bad...' after a while of moaning over the rating drop.

@MSH: I'm still convinced that a president Ted Cruz would put the country in default the first chance he gets. What Trump would do though, no idea, though according to him, he'd negotiate the debt somehow.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: September 28, 2016, 09:57:55 am »

I think it's become a routine thing because the word "compromise' became a four-letter word with the rise of the Tea Party. Sure, politicians had always talked a good firebrand game (especially conservatives) but generally once they got in office, they found that you have to compromise to get anything done. Horse trading is just part of how politics works.

But to the voters, that seemed like a sell-out. So they voted in a bunch of people who really aren't politicians, and are quite willing to let the whole place burn around them, being willing to shut down the entire government over something like "making sure Planned Parenthood doesn't get any money to help with birth control as part of Zika response".  ::)

So every year at crunch time, we have what is essentially a power struggle in the GOP between the zealot wing and the establishment wing over who has more control. To be fair, the Democrats are quite aware of this dynamic and are happy to use it to their advantage, which doesn't help matters.

EDIT:
@smjjames: Easy, Trump would just treat the rest of the world like he does his creditors and contractors. (i.e. not pay them and force them to sue in court)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:59:55 am by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 1249