Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392697 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5100 on: September 27, 2016, 08:47:53 pm »

The only deity involved in this election is Coyote.
Man, I wish. Then we could have the birth of the dongtoad grace the lands, and that would be wonderful.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: September 27, 2016, 08:51:50 pm »

Man, I wish. Then we could have the birth of the dongtoad grace the lands, and that would be wonderful.

Do you really want to see Donald Trump get naked on stage during the inaugural address to make it actually happen, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: September 27, 2016, 08:55:24 pm »

I'm... pretty sure that would have nothing to do with dongtoads. Coyote, maybe, but not the venerable phallophibus genus.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:51 pm »

Horny toad, horned toad, dongtoad, get it?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: September 27, 2016, 09:08:39 pm »

Horny toad, horned toad, dongtoad, get it?

Actually a lizard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_lizard, but yes I get it...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: September 27, 2016, 09:09:17 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: September 27, 2016, 10:59:47 pm »

Noice
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: September 27, 2016, 11:57:00 pm »

the current establishment WANTS to win

Okay, let's start with this part.

Remember how ridiculous it sounded when islamicists said "America wants a Zionist crusade!" or Russian nationalists said "America wants to conquer Russia!"  It sounded ridiculous because you knew that America just doesn't work like that.  There is a huge range of views in America and people dont walk in lockstep.  If America wanted these things people would be talking about them!  Remember how much people talked about the Iraq war?  If crazy shit is going down people are going to talk about it and get into details.  Details like "those aluminum tubes aren't strong enough to refine uranium" or "Valarie Plame was exposed deliberately after she produced intel that yellow cake purchases weren't going down".

When people say "The government" wants something or "China" wants something or "the Media" wants something or even "Iceland" wants something you need to take a step back and realize that they are talking about between tens of thousands and hundreds of millions of people who aren't a freaking hivemind.  "The government" doesn't want something and then magically transmit directives towards millions of people any more then "China" wants an artificial island so every chinese citizen picks up a rock and throws it in the ocean at once.

Yes sometimes certain members of the government want something and we are just using a lazy shorthand.  For instance Obama clearly does not want Donald Trump to be president.  But House Majority Leader Ryan and Senate Majority Leader McConnell do want Donald Trump to be president, just to name a couple.  Keep that in mind.  So Obama wants Clinton to be president but that doesn't mean he has a mind control ray to make federal employees start to rig the election.  All he can do is things like make speeches endorsing Clinton or call Donald Trump a dangerous man.  And meanwhile Ryan and McConnell are giving Trump endorsements and calling Clinton a dangerous woman.

There is a simple mental process to avoid falling into conspiracy theories.  Whenever someone talks about an extremely vague definition and attributes motives towards it you need to say "Which specific people do they mean?  What specific powers do they exert?"  If you cant answer these questions it is at best idle speculation and at worst a conspiracy theory.  For example when people said "Russia" wanted to "invade Ukraine" you can make that more specific.  Putin wanted Russian troops to occupy parts of Crimea.  Putin is capable of giving orders to Russian generals to send troops on covert missions.  This would accomplish the goal of occupying Crimea.
Well, there's that, but incentive structures are a very real thing(they are, in fact, how capitalism functions at all), and usually when I hear 'the Media wants X' or 'Wall Street wants X', it's about that. And usually as a rule it's a given that 'organization' or 'party' wants to win or gain more power, because power is generally useful for accomplishing all other goals. Doesn't need to be a hivemind. Just anthropomorphization of a process that does involve humans but isn't actually organized per se. When someone says a country wants something it usually means it's part of their policy agenda, hidden or otherwise.

See, I'll semantics all day. I enjoy semantics. They're an interesting part of language. They're also often not related to the meat of what someone is talking about, although helping people communicate more clearly is almost always a nice thing to do.

@BFEL: Unfortunately, until you can find a source you believe you can actually trust to be factually correct (understandably difficult), it's hard to fact-check anything when everyone's telling you something different. If you can, I'd say do research into specific claims and see what the majority of it says (NOT SINGLE STUDIES). Unfortunately, that takes metric shittons of times. So look for metastudies, or reviews of metastudies by people who know what they're talking about, if you can. As for the debates, though, from the sounds of it, Trump lost not because he lied (probably did but I usually think of him as 'wrong' rather than lying *Shrug*
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5108 on: September 27, 2016, 11:58:48 pm »

Let's start with the basics.

In the debate, Trump said he did not call Global Warming a hoax. He repeated it several times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If your mom can't accept the fact that Trump lied openly and blatantly in at least this one specific regard, she quite simply is not a reliable cognitive role-model.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: September 28, 2016, 12:02:20 am »

So the helpful minions aren't coordinating with the Donald?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: September 28, 2016, 12:51:32 am »

Let's start with the basics.

In the debate, Trump said he did not call Global Warming a hoax. He repeated it several times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If your mom can't accept the fact that Trump lied openly and blatantly in at least this one specific regard, she quite simply is not a reliable cognitive role-model.
To be fair, all those tweets said global warming was a hoax, not climate change. Maybe The Donald is convinced of global cooling, and is doing his part to help out with all the hot air he's releasing on a daily basis.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: September 28, 2016, 01:09:11 am »

I've got 20 pages of this thread to read (left the thread alone until I eventually got to see the debate myself), but here are the notes that I just made for myself.

1) Hillary starts off by going over to greet Donald, an obvious play, and continued to be more graceful in discussion than her opponent (certainly less butting in and over-talking, though not totally devoid).
2) Counted one possible Hillary cough, two mild stutters that might have been coughy. Donald sniffed a lot at times, even at times he wasn't speaking, but less annoying than his strange hand gestures where his hands are in rigor-mortis when his arms are moving, in periods of obvious stress.
3) Donald argued a lot with the moderator ("no, you're wrong"), but I don't know how capable of being neutral Leicester is. And he also continuously ran roughshod over stated limits, Hillary rarely so.  Some might not like Hillary being slick, but I found Donald being slack more off-putting, personally.
4) Sticking to the question was a problem with some.
5) Media blaming and blind insinuations. Natch.
6) Who do I trust, as a citizen of another country? As a friend of the US, Clinton. If as a non-friend of the US, not Trump. If I want anarchy and upheaval, Trump.
7) The early attempts of Donald to restrain and stick to the script definitely slipped by the time of the Rosie Macdonald comment.
8) She went more to him for the final handshake.
9) Nothing really went against Hillary, as expected. Donald was just thrashing for large parts, as expected. On handicap, that was probably a draw, with partisan observers free to call for their side.
...now to see what everybody else thinks, and possibly who ended up under the table, drunk.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: September 28, 2016, 06:13:24 am »

To put a short, succinct answer to the criticisms leveled at my approach: I don't believe there can be such a thing as a "informed voter" in our society. Literally every piece of information we have access to is tainted by someone, somewhere putting their dick in it. Basically, I've given up on all logical methods of determining an outcome here. I don't treat this as a game, so much as a show because I sure as hell can't offer any significant effect one way or the other.
My recent questioning was aimed to see what people thought of the debate if they disregarded facts the way I do. This was done for comparison, nothing more and nothing less.
I don't consider myself to be evenhanded, I am no authority on anything at all. I'm not impartial, what I am is DISCONNECTED.

As for misko, no I don't trust any of the things you brought up. Including my own senses. Or thoughts. #paranoihilism?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: September 28, 2016, 06:33:22 am »

So I assume you apply a similar level of existentialism to all things in your life?  Yeah the engineers say that it's safer to wear a seatbelt but it's not like they really know that for certain, they are just guessing and it's all tainted by their bias.  Sure the doctors say it's better to wash my hands but really they are just reflecting the received wisdom of other people and dont know that for sure.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: September 28, 2016, 06:37:08 am »

So I assume you apply a similar level of existentialism to all things in your life?  Yeah the engineers say that it's safer to wear a seatbelt but it's not like they really know that for certain, they are just guessing and it's all tainted by their bias.  Sure the doctors say it's better to wash my hands but really they are just reflecting the received wisdom of other people and dont know that for sure.
Well with those examples at least they had to spend years and years earning a degree certifying their expertise in such things, whereas literally anyone can shitpost about politics.
Still, touché
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1249