Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392759 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4995 on: September 26, 2016, 10:12:07 pm »

Are you guys really so confident that anything happened here that will effect the vote?  Or is this echo-chambering because Hillary's style appeals better to our collective lean?  Because I don't get the impression that Trump did anything that would jeopardize his conservative base.  His whole debate read like a typical conservative Facebook post to me.  Random guy in Indiana could post that junk and most of the state would enthusiastically like and re-share.  Just how much undecided, moderate vote is really out there these days that would be swayed one way or another vs whatever their lean was before the debate?
I share your concerns, but I think the post-debate spin seems to be leaning Clinton. Hard to say though, tomorrow is when you'll get the real start of it, so tomorrow night we'll know how it all spins out.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: September 26, 2016, 10:13:05 pm »

Trump whining about attack ads was hilarious.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: September 26, 2016, 10:14:24 pm »

Are you guys really so confident that anything happened here that will effect the vote?  Or is this echo-chambering because Hillary's style appeals better to our collective lean?  Because I don't get the impression that Trump did anything that would jeopardize his conservative base.  His whole debate read like a typical conservative Facebook post to me.  Random guy in Indiana could post that junk and most of the state would enthusiastically like and re-share.  Just how much undecided, moderate vote is really out there these days that would be swayed one way or another vs whatever their lean was before the debate?
Well, I think 'undecided moderates' are getting mixed together with 'Green/Libertarian voters' in the narrative. I get the feeling that a lot of folks (me included, a little!) are assuming that Johnson's 8% and Stein's 3% are largely protest votes that are gonna more or less dissolve towards the main two candidates closer to election day. And while Trump's showing tonight won't shock his base at all, he's not making any inroads with people who aren't his core supporters. He might have made some outroads, even. Though as polarized as we are, it'll probably be just a moderate bump for Clinton.

And rah-rah Hillary, rock this echo chamber, etc. It was entertaining!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:33 pm »

Not paying your income taxes... Makes you smart.

'Merica?
When in Rome?  :(

I know a lot of people who would eat this up.  On both sides, actually... People on the left talk about how their taxes fund wars and subsidies for corrupt businesses, and they'd rather not be contributing to that stuff.  There's less of those people who would approve of Trump's statement, but they're around.  People on the right talk about how taxes are fundamentally immoral, and applaud a captain of industry like Trump for going Galt.  That's... really a core platform on the right.  I know conservatives who hate Trump, but would agree with him and applaud his boldness on this point.  He could win over conservatives who are otherwise disgusted with his character on statements like that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4999 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:19 pm »

I like to think that the undecided crowd -- a lot of them who "hated both sides equally" saw Hillary as calm, sane, and at the same time witty and alacritous in the face of Trump's muddling, incomprehsibility, and outright lying and doubling-down on lies and open hostility.

This is a strong win for Hillary in those eyes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: September 26, 2016, 10:21:22 pm »

People on the left talk about how their taxes fund wars and subsidies for corrupt businesses,

Sure.  And they'll vote for the wifi-lady.

Meanwhile the white suburban and ex-urban men that Trump needs to turn out in unprecedented numbers have very different views from your typical college hipster.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: September 26, 2016, 10:29:50 pm »

Well, I think 'undecided moderates' are getting mixed together with 'Green/Libertarian voters' in the narrative. I get the feeling that a lot of folks (me included, a little!) are assuming that Johnson's 8% and Stein's 3% are largely protest votes that are gonna more or less dissolve towards the main two candidates closer to election day. And while Trump's showing tonight won't shock his base at all, he's not making any inroads with people who aren't his core supporters. He might have made some outroads, even. Though as polarized as we are, it'll probably be just a moderate bump for Clinton.

And rah-rah Hillary, rock this echo chamber, etc. It was entertaining!
I like to think that the undecided crowd -- a lot of them who "hated both sides equally" saw Hillary as calm, sane, and at the same time witty and alacritous in the face of Trump's muddling, incomprehsibility, and outright lying and doubling-down on lies and open hostility.

This is a strong win for Hillary in those eyes.
One day you will get to choose between Stalin and Hitler....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: September 26, 2016, 10:33:55 pm »

Where do you get that?  I don't think anyone's implied any similarity between the two.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: September 26, 2016, 10:35:10 pm »

One day you will get to choose between Stalin and Hitler....
And that day will be a glorious day for SCIENCE, for we will have conquered both death and the vagrancies of time travel. Presumably we would be making bets for the week's latest episode of Fantasy POTUS Deathmatch, where we massively abuse the laws of nature for our gruesome amusement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: September 26, 2016, 10:36:11 pm »

I'm just going to change the subject and say that we should all vote for Clinton because she has spent her entire adult life fighting ISIS.  She is basically an action movie hero.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: September 26, 2016, 10:36:24 pm »

I see we're back at the "Clinton is just a different flavor of Trump" point of our political discourse again.

That depends on who you're talking to because really, neither of them are great candidates, just that both are underwater on popularity and Hillary has a cargoplane load of metaphorical political baggage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: September 26, 2016, 10:38:01 pm »

I'm just going to change the subject and say that we should all vote for Clinton because she has spent her entire adult life fighting ISIS.  She is basically an action movie hero.

Idk, she's pretty mature for a two year old, but I'm still not sure if I'm ready for an infant president.

Insert joke about infant hand size here.

Also I guess adult life.

Okay, so like... a 20 year old. Whatever.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: September 26, 2016, 10:38:27 pm »

Clinton also apparently has a chronosphere, smj, as mainiac notes. I think that makes up for any political baggage, myself. Maybe if we donate enough we can get a free suit of tesla power armor?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:43 pm »

Where do you get that?  I don't think anyone's implied any similarity between the two.
No, they've just implied that they're equally-terrible choices. Which means that a Clinton saying things that Trump says is equivalent to a Trump saying things that Clinton says.

Though it does beg the question whether both are continuous, let alone differentiable.

Clinton has questionable aspects, yes, but they are completely different from Trumps. The only similarity is that they are both troubled by issues that would have potentionally sunk weaker candidates (or perhaps if this was a normal election year) and are both really unlikeable.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: September 26, 2016, 10:40:23 pm »

Idk, she's pretty mature for a two year old, but I'm still not sure if I'm ready for an infant president.

So that means Tony Rodham is Maud'dib!

both really unlikeable.

Plenty of people like both candidates.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1249