Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390443 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4650 on: September 23, 2016, 03:15:16 pm »

lefterly
If you are serious, just use it enough with a consistent meaning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: September 23, 2016, 03:15:33 pm »

And salty? Really? That's amusing coming from somebody whose handle should be Morton.

I'm salty?  Between the two of us I'm like 90% sure that I'm the one with the more left wing views but I am not the one saying I'm going to sit out an election out of spite.

Did you miss the anti-vaccine and anti-wifi stances?

He is a right winger.  His behavior is concern trolling.  It's like what Redking was just saying he would do in republican primaries but for a conversation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: September 23, 2016, 03:29:39 pm »

That might work if their primary issues were isolationism. As it stands, both of them center their ideology on fundamentally opposed concepts: that the government has an important role and needs to do more vs. The government is doing too much and needs to pull back. The most they have in common is being fringe elements. And as for the Donald Trump argument, Donald Trump took over an existing party using support no one knew existed. You are arguing for a new party to be formed out of elements with nothing in common and no institutional support. Does that sound like a recipe for success? What do you even want out of such a party in the first place?
New party?

I was talking about it in context as like if it weren't a two-party system.

And I'd probably want a party with something like this as their proposed changes.

And salty? Really? That's amusing coming from somebody whose handle should be Morton.

I'm salty?  Between the two of us I'm like 90% sure that I'm the one with the more left wing views but I am not the one saying I'm going to sit out an election out of spite.
Spite. Yes. Only reason for any sort of protest against the establishment. Obviously.

Did you miss the anti-vaccine and anti-wifi stances?

He is a right winger.  His behavior is concern trolling.  It's like what Redking was just saying he would do in republican primaries but for a conversation.

Mainiac, don't start accusing others of trolling when you're literally advocating 'Hey guise go sign up to this place with a fake zipcode and post some inconvenient questions for Trump, you have to guise, democracy is at stake!!!'.

People have differing viewpoints from you. Deal with it. Or is it 'trolling' that I think some of Jill Stein's positions are well-thought-out and agreeable (though, less agreeable than the MAGA President to-be), compared to your insinuations that she's some sort of Russian plant?
When you say 'she talks a lot of sense', it sure as hell looks like trolling when the woman is saying 'wi-fi causes cancer' or whatever shit. She's insane. Or at least pretends to be.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: September 23, 2016, 03:31:05 pm »

Hillary is quite salty about her ratings.

Don't despair, First Woman President™, even if every voter leaves you, you'll still have the loyal media, the establishment, the big business, and mainiac at your side! With allies like these, no one can ever stand against you! :P
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: September 23, 2016, 03:35:39 pm »

I'm with Ispil. If I got to vote in both primaries, I'd vote my conscience in the Dem primary and vote for the biggest shitmonger imaginable in the Republican primary. And I'm not even a Democrat -- I'm an independent that detests the modern Republican Party. I was actually planning to vote for McCain back in 2000, and would have voted Perot in 1992 (missed the age requirement by just a smidge). If I've gone fullbore leftist since then, it's more because the Republican Party has swung so far to the right.

Oh, it's not that I doubt that someone would vote for a shitmonger in the other group's primary. I just doubt it would be on a massive enough scale. If given the very real choice to pick John Kasich over Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, how many Democrats would opt for the latter? I've been reading this thread for a good while, and I do recall when some folks were expressing relative optimism at certain Republican candidates way back when. So while voting for shitmongers is a possibility, I'm not sure if it's statistically relevant. Especially given that they'd have the entire opposite party's base to contend with. Point is, you wouldn't reach everyone across the pond, but you could reach some people. And you'd normalize voting for the opposite camp to a certain degree, which might promote similar habits in the actual election. Mix it up a little!

Also a more centrist candidate isn't really better. There is a reason Democrats took one look at Jim Webb and Lincoln Chaffee and moved on.

Yeah, that'd probably be the main issue. You might have both candidates represent a middle-of-the-road choice, each implying a mild shift of policy to fit certain interests, but not too much so as to retain an appeal to the exact middle-of-the-road centrist that doesn't actually matter in an election. It's one of those solutions that would address the current problem (debatably, since having candidates people are not terribly enthused about kind of is the present problem), but likely introduce several others.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: September 23, 2016, 03:46:29 pm »

Spite. Yes. Only reason for any sort of protest against the establishment. Obviously.

Interestingly enough that's not what I said.

I would appreciate if someone wants to come along and translate what I've said because that seems to be the only way my points every get across.

Oh, it's not that I doubt that someone would vote for a shitmonger in the other group's primary. I just doubt it would be on a massive enough scale. If given the very real choice to pick John Kasich over Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, how many Democrats would opt for the latter?

1) The democrats could support someone like Chris Christie or the republicans support someone like Lincoln Chaffee.  Their ideology isn't scary and they aren't a formidable opponent.

2) It ignores the whole freaking point of primaries which is advocacy for an agenda.  The democrats wanted to pick a standard bearer for the agenda of liberalism.  They picked a mainstream liberal whom a lot of mainstream liberals admire.  The republicans normally would want to pick a standard bearer for the agenda of conservatism but they screwed up.*  Other then the current primary they pick a conservative standard bearer that a lot of conservatives admire.

The right to form parties is considered essential to democracy because people need to be allowed to support advocacy for agendas they want.  You are suggesting something that makes parties much less about this.  It's "advocacy for what you want... sort of... if the other people agree".

*Either they tried to be too cute with their primaries (Trump didn't get a majority after all) or conservativism as we knew it is gone.  I think it's probably the former because Trump didn't get a majority of the vote and they seem to be doing fine in downballot races where they have better nominees then Jeb Bush.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: September 23, 2016, 03:54:42 pm »

Hillary is quite salty about her ratings.

Knew what it'd be before I even opened the link, haha.

I swear, the woman has no charisma. She's like a screeching harpy. I watched that video with my partner last night and she pointed out that it looked like Hillary was reading a teleprompter with a huge font. I just think she looks like an owl.

On the other side of the barricades, Trump really knows how to work up the crowd and act on stage.
I'd say his skills are actually legendary - he won the primaries by trolling the shit out of opponents, without saying anything concrete about his own policies and political views (until early summer or so). No wonder the imageboards love him.
Even if he loses, he deserves a place near Huey Long in history books as an example of purest American populism.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:56:47 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: September 23, 2016, 04:00:25 pm »

1) The democrats could support someone like Chris Christie or the republicans support someone like Lincoln Chaffee.  Their ideology isn't scary and they aren't a formidable opponent.

2) It ignores the whole freaking point of primaries which is advocacy for an agenda.  The democrats wanted to pick a standard bearer for the agenda of liberalism.  They picked a mainstream liberal whom a lot of mainstream liberals admire.  The republicans normally would want to pick a standard bearer for the agenda of conservatism but they screwed up.*  Other then the current primary they pick a conservative standard bearer that a lot of conservatives admire.

The right to form parties is considered essential to democracy because people need to be allowed to support advocacy for agendas they want.  You are suggesting something that makes parties much less about this.  It's "advocacy for what you want... sort of... if the other people agree".

*Either they tried to be too cute with their primaries (Trump didn't get a majority after all) or conservativism as we knew it is gone.  I think it's probably the former because Trump didn't get a majority of the vote and they seem to be doing fine in downballot races where they have better nominees then Jeb Bush.

1) True, they could very well just be inoffensive and useless simultaneously. The milquetoast conundrum's logical extreme.

2) I'd say it's more like frontloading other people's agreement, which is normally saved for the actual election. But then again, that's kind of what the checks and balances system does already, making sure the two parties remain in each other's influence unless one of them fucks up hard, giving them a good incentive to try and do well. You can have an opposition president in power while the coalition retains Congress. And if you make people vote in a way that doesn't actually matter, well, that's just opinion polling, which they do already.

So yeah, probably far too damaging to the concept of a republic to be a practicable scheme in how to trick a Republican into voting Democrat.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: September 23, 2016, 04:14:02 pm »

snip

1) James Hacker 2016!

2) It's not an ideal system but I am unaware of any better system in a first past the post system.  Might as well just plan a reform around ditching first past the post.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: September 23, 2016, 04:38:56 pm »

And I'd probably want a party with something like this as their proposed changes.
I shit you not, as I read that, I grew a long white beard on top of my beard and sprouted a ushanka, I have no idea where it even came from.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: September 23, 2016, 04:45:56 pm »

The ratfucker Zodiac Killer Ted Cruz just endorsed Trump. I guess he got over Trump insulting his parents on Tweeter.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: September 23, 2016, 04:51:49 pm »

It's good to see our republican politicians are holding up to the standard of integrity they've been cultivating this campaign cycle, at least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: September 23, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »

The ratfucker Zodiac Killer Ted Cruz just endorsed Trump. I guess he got over Trump insulting his parents on Tweeter.
If anyone still doubts that there's a powerful normalization effect in the general election, here you go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: September 23, 2016, 05:01:20 pm »

I shit you not, as I read that, I grew a long white beard on top of my beard and sprouted a ushanka, I have no idea where it even came from.

Arrangement of blocks intensifies.

What happens for Ted Cruz now? Before this election cycle he had a pretty solid position, but his name's been pretty well dragged through the mud lately.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: September 23, 2016, 05:03:36 pm »

Nothing happens.  Normalization means that everything was a night in Vegas.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1249