Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390663 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4605 on: September 23, 2016, 04:02:54 am »

Yeah, that New Hampshire thing was pretty shady, mainiac.

We live in a world with gerrymandering and you are bitching about an online straw poll where I was advocating voting once and only once.  Our political discourse is regularly full of lies but god forbid someone suggest using a straw poll to encourage truth telling.  Also, quick question.  Back when people were stuffing every straw poll in site with Bernie Sanders votes, how many of you were saying "Hey guys, this is ruining America!"  As I recall it was a grand total of zero...

The reason why we can't have nice things is because Loud Whispers just embraced a freaking conspiracy theory rather then practice basic skepticism.  No I'm not going to argue against your conspiracy theory LW.  At some point you need to learn how to be an adult and not believe every ridiculous thing you hear that happens to agree with your beliefs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:19:28 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: September 23, 2016, 05:10:43 am »

Also, quick question.  Back when people were stuffing every straw poll in site with Bernie Sanders votes, how many of you were saying "Hey guys, this is ruining America!"  As I recall it was a grand total of zero...

Will research this. You are correct, it is a double standard.

Define skepticism. Does it mean rejecting an idea out of hand, or does it mean experiment, fact checking, and looking behind the curtain in general?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:14:01 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: September 23, 2016, 05:45:53 am »

I think that when you make an extraordinary claim you should be careful about vetting the evidence. When bad faith claims have been made in the past on the same topic you should be extra careful.

I think that my claim that Stein is antagonistic towards leftist causes is an extraordinary claim. As such it was understandable the first reaction was disbelief. But I could offer evidence of her doing a photo-op with Putin and making personal attacks on clinton which are extraordinary events if Stein was a normal green party candidate. And I am comfortable with asserting that you should investigate her activities and will see a similar pattern of behavior.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: September 23, 2016, 06:31:10 am »

I love how panicky and desperate mainiac has become in his attacks on other candidates now that the race is close.

Btw, a left candidate attacking a dishonest center-right candidate is not all that extraordinary. They're different parties, they aren't even close to each other on the political spectrum. After Bernie you made the case that the Democratic party should unify as one. That anyone being disruptive was not following the rules. As much as I disagree with that statement at least there was the veneer of "the party choosing Hillary". Now though you're suggesting that a candidate from a completely different party isn't allowed to argue against Hillary.

That's just plain undemocratic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: September 23, 2016, 06:34:27 am »

I no longer know what's going on in Ameripol Thread. It has become absorbed in the bulging, expanding biomass of 2016 that will soon consume all reality.

Morte es Vive, Morte es Vive...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: September 23, 2016, 06:46:44 am »

What is it with non-Democrats being pro-Putinistic shill-scum lately, anyway? It seems that literally all of them, Green, Libertarian, and, obviously, Republicans, have decided that supporting Russia, even when its actions and rhetoric is blatantly anti-American, is a cool and hip thing to do. I wonder why?
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: September 23, 2016, 06:49:45 am »

I think it might be like the inversion of how there was a period where a lot of people left-of-center in the 70's supported Mao and envisioned him as a democratic liberator from the shackles of global capitalism. All the stories about genocide are clearly just propaganda by the West because they want to exploit the intellectual and enlightened Chinese people.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: September 23, 2016, 07:03:42 am »

So, I take it for granted that there are a lot of people who speak spanish, I'm really rusty, but it is easy to pick back up when I'm around it more often. Such is life growing up in Texas.

Yet I feel like I should be surprised to learn Trump runs zero ads in spanish.

I'm not, and I guess you can't blame him for not wanting to try, he has a hard enough time keeping track of whether he wants to court or insult black voters, expecting him to toss another group into the mix is obviously a lost cause.

Still though, it feels like that should come as a surprise, doesn't it?
I think it might be like the inversion of how there was a period where a lot of people left-of-center in the 70's supported Mao and envisioned him as a democratic liberator from the shackles of global capitalism. All the stories about genocide are clearly just propaganda by the West because they want to exploit the intellectual and enlightened Chinese people.
...at least until our phones are just a screen and a superfast connection, right?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: September 23, 2016, 07:12:07 am »

Still though, it feels like that should come as a surprise, doesn't it?
No. Why would Trump run ads for people he will be kicking out if he becomes President? After all, only filthy illegal immigrants could know Spanish without knowing the proper American Language™.

(just in case of Poe's law, this is not my actual point of view)
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4614 on: September 23, 2016, 07:13:28 am »

I love how panicky and desperate mainiac has become in his attacks on other candidates now that the race is close.
You shouldn't take too much joy in it, it could be you one day panicking as your candidate gets systematically undone by their own mistakes

Btw, a left candidate attacking a dishonest center-right candidate is not all that extraordinary. They're different parties, they aren't even close to each other on the political spectrum. After Bernie you made the case that the Democratic party should unify as one. That anyone being disruptive was not following the rules. As much as I disagree with that statement at least there was the veneer of "the party choosing Hillary". Now though you're suggesting that a candidate from a completely different party isn't allowed to argue against Hillary.
That's just plain undemocratic.
Remember in mainiac's world voting for who you believe in is childish, you need to vote for who mainiac believes in

The reason why we can't have nice things is because Loud Whispers just embraced a freaking conspiracy theory rather then practice basic skepticism.  No I'm not going to argue against your conspiracy theory LW.  At some point you need to learn how to be an adult and not believe every ridiculous thing you hear that happens to agree with your beliefs.
Rofl, I just posted the evidence that Hillary Clinton outsourced her email stripping to social media
You keep posting the conspiracy theory that Jill Stein works for Russia to undermine Clinton without evidence at all
Evidence speaks for itself, but you don't practice basic skepticism, you want to smear every candidate that isn't Clinton with baseless slander and then turn Clinton into baby Jesus, saintly and free from blemish

I love this behaviour too, because you don't see how your efforts and the efforts of those like you are easily the best campaign for the likes of Jill

I no longer know what's going on in Ameripol Thread. It has become absorbed in the bulging, expanding biomass of 2016 that will soon consume all reality.
Morte es Vive, Morte es Vive...
2016 is best current year

What is it with non-Democrats being pro-Putinistic shill-scum lately, anyway? It seems that literally all of them, Green, Libertarian, and, obviously, Republicans, have decided that supporting Russia, even when its actions and rhetoric is blatantly anti-American, is a cool and hip thing to do. I wonder why?
The nucleus of this is the middle east
"The Obama Administration's obsession with toppling the government in Damascus is fundamentally inconsistent with winning the fight against ISIS," Stein asserted. "US pursuit of regime change in Libya, Iraq, and Syria created the chaos that promotes power grabs by extremist militias. Many of the weapons we are sending into Syria to arm anti-government militias are winding up in the hands of ISIS. This isn't a clever foreign policy - it's disastrous militarism."   
That's Jill Stein, Greens

"When you think about it, wouldn't it be nice if we got along with Russia?" Trump said. "Wouldn't it be nice if we got together with Russia and knocked the hell out of ISIS?" he added, using another name for Islamic State.
That's Donald Trump, Republicans

"What is Aleppo?"
That's Gary Johnson, Libertarians

So basically if you sit in the Kremlin and you are Putin, you see the USA - still has far superior military and economic capabilities versus you, and the next candidate is going to carry on the continuation of Russian containment/Destruction of the Syrian regime, whilst the Greens and Republican candidates have publicly stated they would much rather work with Russia to destroy ISIS than allow the geopolitical gridlock to continue
But you are Putin, you cannot overtly support any American candidate, that would be outrageous. So you pull a Facebook - it's not showing bias if you support no party, and only tank one party. You use 3rd party Russian 1337 haxors to hack DNC emails showing members of the DNC trading ideas for how to undercut the campaign of Senator Bernie Sanders, who proved a resilient adversary to Clinton in the Democratic primary. This undermines legitimacy of the Democrats and creates fathomless quantities of disillusioned liberals who were already suspicious that the playing field was not even. That's before Trump calls for your 1337 haxors to release all the lost emails to be rewarded "by the press". Putin has many mechanisms to support American candidates, without actually showing any support, plausible deniability and all that

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: September 23, 2016, 07:33:11 am »

Johnson isn't shilling just isolationist.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: September 23, 2016, 07:53:43 am »

Not surprised Trump isn't running Spanish-language ads. IIRC, his head of Latino outreach (and indeed almost all Hispanics in his campaign staff) resigned after his supposed "pivot" on immigration wound up evaporating.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: September 23, 2016, 07:55:56 am »

Amazing how that happened, by the way. There was a moment where I seriously thought reality would assert itself and Trump would turn into The Republican Candidate instead of remaining Trump, but then it just all fell back in going double time.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: September 23, 2016, 07:57:20 am »

Never mind stupid arguments about which conspiracy theory is less stupid, I just clicked that link about the Russia thing Stein tweeted and saw the reply "I can't hear you over the wi-fi" which is like, a thermonuclear burn.
Not surprised Trump isn't running Spanish-language ads. IIRC, his head of Latino outreach (and indeed almost all Hispanics in his campaign staff) resigned after his supposed "pivot" on immigration wound up evaporating.
Yeah, that was in the blurb I saw about him only running ads in the best, the very best, the most language of all.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: September 23, 2016, 08:44:59 am »

No wonder she wants to stop all nuclear power.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1249