Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391139 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4530 on: September 21, 2016, 04:35:03 pm »

The Dunedain are the Founding Fathers, remembered fondly but the myth is nicer than the reality.

So you are saying you expect Alexander Hamilton to return when hope seems lost, defeat Trump and become president?
I can think of worse possible candidates than Zombie Hamilton.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: September 21, 2016, 04:35:36 pm »

The Dunedain are the Founding Fathers, remembered fondly but the myth is nicer than the reality.

So you are saying you expect Alexander Hamilton to return when hope seems lost, defeat Trump and become president?
I can think of worse possible candidates than Zombie Hamilton.

I figured it'd be Adams, but we could do worse than Hamilton.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:38:47 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: September 21, 2016, 04:39:32 pm »

Hamilton's philosophy makes him the worst candidate, but he might also be the one one able to cope with the reality of the US going from agrarian republic to global hegemonic superpower.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: September 21, 2016, 04:39:36 pm »

Democrats: Gondor, the land on the edge of the darkness, if it falls the earth is doomed

Does this mean Hillary = Denethor?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: September 21, 2016, 04:41:39 pm »

Adams was already leader of the free peoples.  The Aragorn stand in needs to be a long lost scion.  Oooooh, maybe the lineage of Abraham Lincoln didn't actually die out.  There was another line carried on through a bastard.  A line that leads to Tim Kaine.

If we are uncharitable.  If we are feeling more charitable we might say that Denethor was dead before the great battle so Hillary is Faramir.  Or Boromir... :(
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: September 21, 2016, 04:44:07 pm »

So you admit she's a powerthirsty traitor at heart but will turn and sacrifice herself in mid-October in favor of...?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: September 21, 2016, 04:44:54 pm »

Democrats: Gondor, the land on the edge of the darkness, if it falls the earth is doomed

If we can't shoehorn her in as Éowyn, who then would be Dernhelm?

(Bernice Sanders?)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: September 21, 2016, 04:46:03 pm »

So you admit she's a powerthirsty traitor at heart but will turn and sacrifice herself in mid-October in favor of...?

Tim Kaine, the secret scion of the house Abraham.

(Bernice Sanders?)

He is a disney princess and the favorite of the fleabitten unwashed masses.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: September 21, 2016, 04:53:54 pm »

Ahem...

NERRRRDDDDDSSSSS

Also: the Nazgul are obviously the mainstream media outlets trying to remain relevant in a new age of internet news men.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: September 21, 2016, 04:54:40 pm »

Hey guys, do you guys want to do a little bit to fight the forces of darkness?

Yakov Strongen of Milan County, New Hampshire (03588) would like Mr. Trump to know he's doing a fine job, but expresses concern for the state of his motherland. Just the other day, he heard of a most alarming incident involving a micrometer...

Why New Hampshire? Close to the debate area, unusually important for polling data right now?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: September 21, 2016, 04:57:14 pm »

It's more charitable and a better analogy than labeling the green party as Saruman.... where your reasoning doesn't even make any sense ("wanting to be on the winning team?").

Denethor wasn't actually that bad.  More of a tragic character than anything.  His only fault was believing he could battle the enemy on its own terms (direct military force and battle of wills through the Palantir), and wasn't open to any other measures.  You champion Hillary as a shining example of someone who has wrestled with the establishment on its own terms for decades without becoming corrupted (while expressing disdain for those who are on your side but less informed or pragmatic).  Well Denethor was that guy.  His will proved stronger and more resistant to corruption than Saruman's.  In the end, he was never corrupted.  The (supposed) loss of Faramir just broke the fragile mental balance he had maintained for so long, and he became self-destructive.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:58:51 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: September 21, 2016, 05:00:55 pm »

Why New Hampshire? Close to the debate area, unusually important for polling data right now?

New Hampshire is the state where one vote matters the most due to it's small size and near tipping point polling.  The Trump campaign would love to cater to upstate New Hampshire voters right now but most likely there wont be too many votes in upstate New Hamshire because of the small population.

So vote!  Let the world know upstate New Hampshire cares about Russia and Ukraine!

It's more charitable and a better analogy than labeling the green party as Saruman.... where your reasoning doesn't even make any sense ("wanting to be on the winning team?").

Jill Stein literally is praising Vladamir Putin and attending functions with him.  She has never missed a chance to diss Hillary.  The Green Party strategy as near as I can tell is to try to make the democrats lose out of some delusional belief that will help them in 2020.  The Saruman analogy is perfect.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: September 21, 2016, 05:04:22 pm »

New Hampshire is the state where one vote matters the most due to it's small size and near tipping point polling.  The Trump campaign would love to cater to upstate New Hampshire voters right now but most likely there wont be too many votes in upstate New Hamshire because of the small population.

So vote!  Let the world know upstate New Hampshire cares about Russia and Ukraine!

Nobody likes an astroturfer.

Quote from: SalmonGod on Today at 04:57:14 pm
Jill Stein literally is praising Vladamir Putin and attending functions with him.  She has never missed a chance to diss Hillary.  The Green Party strategy as near as I can tell is to try to make the democrats lose out of some delusional belief that will help them in 2020.  The Saruman analogy is perfect.

I'm with mainiac on this one, though I think it diminishes the irrelevance and lack of scientific understanding that are the Green Party's defining traits. They could be Dunlendings, maybe.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: September 21, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »

Nobody likes an astroturfer.

But it would be a service to mankind to make him talk about Russia.  This isn't trying to deceive people, this is trying to make sure a substantive issue gets play.

I'm with mainiac on this one, though I think it diminishes the irrelevance and lack of scientific understanding that are the Green Party's defining traits. They could be Dunlendings, maybe.

The Dunlendings have a long term allegiance.  The Green Party's decision to support the hard right is sudden and frankly pretty bizarre.  Nadar didn't want to screw over the democrats it was just a screwup.  And that also kinda fits with how Saruman made horrible strategic choices when he was fighting for the good guys.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:27 pm »

Jill Stein literally is praising Vladamir Putin and attending functions with him.  She has never missed a chance to diss Hillary.

That's cheap dirt to sling.  Hillary has praised or had smiling photos taken with all kinds of people most would find contemptible, including Trump himself.  If someone had taken the first shot at her with that kind of ammo, you'd be the first to make some sort of statement about how the complicated nature of politics invalidates whatever meaning people are reading into those things.

Whatever Jill Stein's doing this election season (I don't even know - paid zero attention) doesn't matter to me.  You're literally to the point of labeling people as evil (I assume your criticism is not just leveled at Jill Stein but at Green Party voters), because their idealism gets in the way of your strategy.

And this is the point where I pretend this thread doesn't exist for a while, or it will likely get locked again.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:12:03 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 1249