Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391668 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4500 on: September 21, 2016, 01:40:04 pm »

My experience with Trump voters who were in support of him from the beginning (some Texas and Southern folks) is that they have gotten real quiet, and really averse, to talking about politics within the last three months. The guys who would loudly crack Hilary jokes and give Obama some of the N-word treatment are now saying stuff like "Let's keep politics out of it" or going dead silent when politics comes up.

Perhaps they've been worn down by a constant stream of being called (or 'subtly' implied to be) idiots or racists because of their beliefs. Sure they can argue at first, but with no real effort made to understand their point of view they'll eventually get sick of condescending appeasements along the lines of them being 'too poorly educated to understand how illegal immigrants are actually great for the economy', or how 'Trump is actually lying, you're just too poor and desperate to realise it' so they'd rather hold back and make their voice heard on election day instead rather than speaking now and being drowned out by an echo chamber.

I mean, there's only so many times you can make your case about why you support Trump and hear back '... But... but he's racist!' before you start losing the will to live. It was certainly like that over here with the Brexit vote.
So I take it we should expect an uptick in racist violence and people just generally being dicks? Because that's how post-Brexit turned out. Which would seem to prove the assumption about the kind of people that voted.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: September 21, 2016, 01:49:09 pm »

This just in: american voters fall for the old "us vs them" thing, alienate eachother, get fucked after election regardless. More news at 11.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4502 on: September 21, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »

No, Covanant is right, we have to avoid triggering him. Start putting trigger warnings on your posts before you discuss how racist Trump is guys. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, especially not racists'.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: September 21, 2016, 01:55:13 pm »

No, Covanant is right, we have to avoid triggering him. Start putting trigger warnings on your posts before you discuss how racist Trump is guys. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, especially not racists'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

Of the people I know personally who are voting Trump (which is extremely few), it's mostly the same crowd that were That Ron Paul Guy back in 2008 and 2012. You know, the one who gets that religious fervor in their voice and won't shut the fuck up about it. And if they've stopped evangelizing me about Our Lord and Savior Donald Trump, it's mostly because they've given up on me as a heathen.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:03:11 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: September 21, 2016, 02:27:01 pm »

Its a very common western phenomena, though I honestly expected bay12 people to be more socially and politically adept than that weird old guy on the park that plays backgammon and ocasionaly shouts for no reason.

Seriously though, I'm not saying Trump is not a shitty person (or that hillary is anything more than an oligarchal lapdog mummy with a lot of dirty under those bandages), but the moment in which people are willing to dismiss their own fellow citizens as made up entirely of racists and idiots in favor of some political stance, is the moment said people already lost.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: September 21, 2016, 02:36:11 pm »

Then everyone lost decades ago, because the caricatures and whatnot coming from the right are at least as foul and pervasive. Usually moreso, from what I've seen living in conservative areas.

Though you're doing the same thing when you say it's a dismissal of their political counterpoints in entirety, by and large. Because, y'know. It's not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: September 21, 2016, 02:41:06 pm »

I don't think anyone has claimed that all, or even most of Trump's supporters are racists. I'm less sanguine about the idiot part.

So I take it we should expect an uptick in racist violence and people just generally being dicks? Because that's how post-Brexit turned out. Which would seem to prove the assumption about the kind of people that voted.

Whether you approve of the 'kind of people that voted' or not, it was a majority of us. Similarly, the polls in the upcoming election are close to 50/50, aren't they? It's surprising to me that you'd be so dismissive about half your countrymen. Though as TempAcc implied, it probably shouldn't be, especially as I just watched it happen here a few months ago.
Being a majority does not convey inherent "rightness" or abjure criticism. The Leave camp complained vociferously that they were unfairly tarred as xenophobes and white nationalists. Then in the days after the Brexit vote, you have people shouting at various nationalities that "we voted you out, why are you still here?", or throwing a crowbar through their car window, among other thing.

So yeah, if the jackboot fits, wear it m8.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: September 21, 2016, 02:43:19 pm »

Whether you approve of the 'kind of people that voted' or not, it was a majority of us.
A majority of those that voted, as you rightly say, but barely that. Not a majority of the electorate, even less a majority of the population.

(I've been hearing a lot of "an overwhelming majority of the population want...", recently, where it was neither overwhelming, a majority of the population nor necessarily actually demonstrable that what comes next (depending on the viewpoint being expressed) was what they want. Not that I ever expect any national consensus to satisfy such issues, but best not to claim them.)

So, let us hope that the 'majority' get us/you/whoever a result that the least number of people absolutely hate.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:45:33 pm by Starver »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: September 21, 2016, 02:47:12 pm »

'Trump is actually lying,

Because he is.  A lot.  And you dont care.

I mean it's okay with having a tolerance for policians lying.  Literally everyone (except Mister Rogers, RIP) lies sometimes.  But the extent to which he lies is truly amazing.  He just casually changes his story constantly.  When you claim that he isn't lying you are basically saying that there is no possible standard for dishonesty that will turn you off.

It's surprising to me that you'd be so dismissive about half your countrymen.

They are being judged by their convictions and being found lacking.  The man isn't even a conservative and he isn't even a good liar but the conservative base has still rallied around him just like any other republican candidate.  As far as I can tell the only thing he has going for him is that you guys hate democrats so blindly you will vote for freaking Trump.  I dont think you guys should be dismissed, I think you should be feared because it's fucking scary what you are doing.

I don't think anyone has claimed that all, or even most of Trump's supporters are racists. I'm less sanguine about the idiot part.

It's less a matter of "are they racist" and more a matter of "will they enable racist authoritarianism".  We can live with the former.  The latter not so much...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: September 21, 2016, 02:55:34 pm »

Then everyone lost decades ago, because the caricatures and whatnot coming from the right are at least as foul and pervasive. Usually moreso, from what I've seen living in conservative areas.

Though you're doing the same thing when you say it's a dismissal of their political counterpoints in entirety, by and large. Because, y'know. It's not.
Does this mean that the left is now becoming the new right? Because it certainly seems a lot more hilarious as of late.

Point is, caricatures have always been a thing, but when it gets to the point that you're treating real, living people you interact with as said caricatures, then you've pretty much thrown away your perception in favor of a political narrative. When this becomes a widespread thing among the majority, things  get rather hilarious.

Another good thing is realizing that the US is kind of fuckhuge, so your personal experience, no matter how geographically encompassing it may be, will never be able to paint a realistic picture of the entire thing. What I'm saying is, don't imediately dismiss people because they disagree with you, because thats kinda the point of modern society, because things got rather shitty when people did otherwise. There are really shitty people on both sides, but that doesnt mean either side is composed purely of shitty people. Attacking acceptable targets, according to your group's point of view is all fine and dandy, but what happens when your group becomes the acceptable target?

I assume I don't have to answer that, since you know quite well how that must be.

EDIT: fix'd, thank you, you strange possibly swedish person
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:03:29 pm by TempAcc »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:51 pm »

(While I'm here, just listening to some interviews of US voters of various stripes (and stars). Includes the assertion that "All government wants to do is control everything". I get the sentiment (whether or not I have sympathy with Leftpondians on their idea of 'everything', over there in the Land Of The Free*), but surely the clue is in the word 'government'...  ;))

* As in speech, not beer.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: September 21, 2016, 02:58:41 pm »

What I'm saying is, don't imediately dismiss people because they disagree with you,

You are dismissing me!  Cut it out!  No Fair!  No Fair!

All I want to do is build a wall and put all the Trump supporters on the other side!  Oh wait, no I dont!  I was being sarcastic!  HAHA!  Stop judging me!  Shut up and go away!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »

What I'm saying is, don't imediately dismiss people because they disagree with you,

You are dismissing me!  Cut it out!  No Fair!  No Fair!

All I want to do is build a wall and put all the Trump supporters on the other side!  Oh wait, no I dont!  I was being sarcastic!  HAHA!  Stop judging me!  Shut up and go away!
There's no point talking to dismissive people.  :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: September 21, 2016, 03:16:17 pm »

So just to summerize:
Judging the right just because it's made a radical fringe it's standard bearer = Haram
Judging the left because a radical fringe exists = Totes McCoy!

There's no point talking to dismissive people.  :P

Like I would care about your opinion.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: September 21, 2016, 03:19:47 pm »

The era of hyper-partisanship shall be an interesting one indeed.

Or a very boring one.  They elected goddamn Trump (Trump!  This is insane!) and the map looks basically like it did 4 years ago.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1249