Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391959 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4485 on: September 20, 2016, 07:09:08 pm »

I took a closer look and it seems that I've misunderstood or perhaps not fully informed myself on the whole scandal and misunderstanding pay for play, at least in this case. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-clinton-pay-for-play-foundation-226884 is the article that I was primarily remembering, but I took a closer look and aside from the fact that the donors were mainly ambassadors, diplomats, Nobel Prize winners, people she'd be meeting, there's no evidence that I can see that any favors were bought.

Whether or not she was playing favorites with donors or not, I don't know.

The whole thing with Trump and the Florida AG is definetly more egregious though.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: September 20, 2016, 07:44:28 pm »

Not your fault.  Whole fucking media has been assuming there was a smoking gun.  They wrote the story before they even knew the subject and were just filling in the blanks like a mad lib.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: September 20, 2016, 07:47:03 pm »

The whole thing with Trump and the Florida AG is definetly more egregious though.

And that's not even that half of it: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/20/trump-foundation-settlements-golf-course-mar-a-lago

He used his foundation to take other people's money and spend it on himself and his own business interests. Including to pay legal settlements. Which is to say, his own debts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: September 20, 2016, 08:08:00 pm »

And that's not even that half of it: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/20/trump-foundation-settlements-golf-course-mar-a-lago

He used his foundation to take other people's money and spend it on himself and his own business interests. Including to pay legal settlements. Which is to say, his own debts.

And before that, he seemed to have used it as his personal bank with Trump being the only donor.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:49 pm »

I took a closer look and it seems that I've misunderstood or perhaps not fully informed myself on the whole scandal and misunderstanding pay for play, at least in this case. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-clinton-pay-for-play-foundation-226884 is the article that I was primarily remembering, but I took a closer look and aside from the fact that the donors were mainly ambassadors, diplomats, Nobel Prize winners, people she'd be meeting, there's no evidence that I can see that any favors were bought.

Whether or not she was playing favorites with donors or not, I don't know.

I would like to point out how cool this was on your part, and give you kudos for doing it. Unfortunately humility has no place in a political discussion, so I'm gonna need you to leave.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: September 20, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »

Unfortunately humility has no place in a political discussion, so I'm gonna need you to leave.

+1

And before that, he seemed to have used it as his personal bank with Trump being the only donor.

I was under the impression that he had donated very little to his own "charity".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: September 20, 2016, 09:24:52 pm »

What bugs me about Americans vs. the election is not the fact they're being taken in; it's that they're being taken in by a guy who has put out no real effort to be good at what he does: lying.

As I said very early on in this election, I don't think people are taken in.  There's a dark hole in the soul of American culture that genuinely idolizes the loud, shameless, egotistical bully, and Trump is its manifestation.  No one who is part of this will admit to it in such a way, because to do so is to banish themselves from any company with a shred of decency.  This is why they keep up the facade of being taken in by lies.  But make no mistake.  His supporters find pleasure in being a part of what he stands for.  It appeals to their insecurities to band together in the name of aggressively excluding the vulnerable.  I grew up in a school system where the principal told the local newspaper that kids who were bullied were the real troublemakers, and would literally punish good-natured kids for being beaten up in front of a teacher.  The bullies and the teachers who participated (not all of them did) clearly derived pleasure from it, and the whole Trump phenomenon looks to me like that same experience taking place on a national scale.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: September 20, 2016, 09:40:48 pm »

What bugs me about Americans vs. the election is not the fact they're being taken in; it's that they're being taken in by a guy who has put out no real effort to be good at what he does: lying.

As I said very early on in this election, I don't think people are taken in.  There's a dark hole in the soul of American culture that genuinely idolizes the loud, shameless, egotistical bully, and Trump is its manifestation.  No one who is part of this will admit to it in such a way, because to do so is to banish themselves from any company with a shred of decency.  This is why they keep up the facade of being taken in by lies.  But make no mistake.  His supporters find pleasure in being a part of what he stands for.  It appeals to their insecurities to band together in the name of aggressively excluding the vulnerable.  I grew up in a school system where the principal told the local newspaper that kids who were bullied were the real troublemakers, and would literally punish good-natured kids for being beaten up in front of a teacher.  The bullies and the teachers who participated (not all of them did) clearly derived pleasure from it, and the whole Trump phenomenon looks to me like that same experience taking place on a national scale.

That's a pretty grimdark take on it, not that I necessarily am saying you're wrong. It's true he's attracted a lot of the.....oh what's that word people have been using lately.....assholes? of our country. But plenty of other folks too. I sort of have a hard time believing 40% of whoever decides to answer polls are complete sociopaths. I suppose a lot of "normal" folks got swept up in that thing over in Germany too....

But I guess I'm not quite ready to write off that much of the country, and opt for what I think is the more likely cause: people see in the Trump the fallacy of wealth. That wealth = wealth. That Trump's successes will mean their successes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: September 20, 2016, 10:27:58 pm »

He didn't start out that strong, did he?  Among the conservatives I know, his true supporters that have been with him from the very beginning haven't changed.  And of the ones he's gained, they're only jumping on board, because they think Hillary is the more corrupt.  I got to listen to a whole speech just yesterday by a co-worker in the breakroom when he glimpsed Hillary on TV about how "It's a sad state when Trump is the better option." 

But all of the true supporters of his that I know supported him from the beginning, and are people with latent aggression bubbling and building pressure under the surface of their persona, waiting for release.  My own boss is one of those people, and I think the reason she's a manager is because she absolutely gets some sick relief from verbally assaulting people.  There's something that burns constantly deep within her, and to mercilessly chew someone out or humiliate them is like a soothing balm to that pain.  Being the boss gives her the opportunity to do this on a regular basis with legitimacy.  When she's in a bad mood, she will skulk around the office just looking for somebody to give her something to pick on for that release.  This is a true Trump supporter.

People who are loud and proud about being of this nature are like beacons to their kindred.  They make each other feel validated for being who they are, and empower and embolden each other to more openly unleash their aggression on a broader range of others.  And when they band together like this under the right circumstances, they dominate their environment by cowering others into pretending to join in to avoid being on the receiving end.

I'm not saying that 40% of the U.S. is like this, but my opinion and personal experience (life in Indiana and observing what's glorified by our media) is that this type of persona enjoys a lot of success here.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: September 20, 2016, 10:40:02 pm »

My experience with Trump voters who were in support of him from the beginning (some Texas and Southern folks) is that they have gotten real quiet, and really averse, to talking about politics within the last three months. The guys who would loudly crack Hilary jokes and give Obama some of the N-word treatment are now saying stuff like "Let's keep politics out of it" or going dead silent when politics comes up. So I dunno. I think some people were drinking the billionaire (as likely millionaire since he won't release his taxes) koolaid and have begun to re-think that decision. I just don't see the zeal among them that I did a year ago.

That could just mean they have more sense than me for social graces and are just quietly going to ride this out to the ballot box...but I can kinda see the regret and maybe even shame there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:13 pm »

He didn't start out that strong, did he?  Among the conservatives I know, his true supporters that have been with him from the very beginning haven't changed.  And of the ones he's gained, they're only jumping on board, because they think Hillary is the more corrupt.  I got to listen to a whole speech just yesterday by a co-worker in the breakroom when he glimpsed Hillary on TV about how "It's a sad state when Trump is the better option." 

But all of the true supporters of his that I know supported him from the beginning, and are people with latent aggression bubbling and building pressure under the surface of their persona, waiting for release.  My own boss is one of those people, and I think the reason she's a manager is because she absolutely gets some sick relief from verbally assaulting people.  There's something that burns constantly deep within her, and to mercilessly chew someone out or humiliate them is like a soothing balm to that pain.  Being the boss gives her the opportunity to do this on a regular basis with legitimacy.  When she's in a bad mood, she will skulk around the office just looking for somebody to give her something to pick on for that release.  This is a true Trump supporter.

People who are loud and proud about being of this nature are like beacons to their kindred.  They make each other feel validated for being who they are, and empower and embolden each other to more openly unleash their aggression on a broader range of others.  And when they band together like this under the right circumstances, they dominate their environment by cowering others into pretending to join in to avoid being on the receiving end.

I'm not saying that 40% of the U.S. is like this, but my opinion and personal experience (life in Indiana and observing what's glorified by our media) is that this type of persona enjoys a lot of success here.
I believe the word you're looking for is "predator".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: September 20, 2016, 10:55:44 pm »

I believe the word you're looking for is "predator".

'Bully' sounds like a better fit.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: September 21, 2016, 04:45:39 am »

Unfortunately humility has no place in a political discussion, so I'm gonna need you to leave.

+1
Eww.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: September 21, 2016, 01:08:23 pm »

That vacant Supreme Court seat is starting to become an eyesore.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: September 21, 2016, 01:15:22 pm »

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 1249