Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391980 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4470 on: September 20, 2016, 02:25:56 pm »

Sure, they're willing to go along with Trump. Reality isn't. Trump is a con-man, and in four years time, when he is tainted by his failure it could taint the GOP beyong measure.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: September 20, 2016, 03:50:34 pm »

Trump is a con-man, and in four years time, when he is tainted by his failure it could taint the GOP beyong measure.

Eight years ago they said that electing Bush would make the democratic party wake up and elect a real liberal.  Instead Kerry lost and we finally got Obama who finally got around to doing things Gore wanted to do in 2000.

Six months ago they said that Trump was so extreme that if the republicans actually elected him there would be a mass revolt with tons of republicans endorsing Garry Johnson or even Hillary Clinton.  Instead we just had the RNC chairman say a couple days ago that republicans were going to remember people like Kasich and Cruz who endorse nobody the next time they are up for election.

We humans are REALLY bad at predicting these things.

I suppose there is an off chance that Trump soils himself on stage during the debates and people realize that the emperor has no clothes.  But at every step along the way Trump has become more and more normalized, more and more treated like a traditional candidate.  I dont think he is.  I dont think it's the slightest bit of exaggeration to say that he is far and away the most manifestly unqualified person ever to be seriously put forward for the office of president.  But 40% of voters clearly do not share my view and the fact that they haven't been convinced in the past informs my expectations about their future beliefs.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: September 20, 2016, 04:12:26 pm »

Actually, Clinton is at higher risk of having a bad debate or otherwise not looking like the clear winner because the expectations are so high for her.

So far though, she has shown that, unlike the other republican contenders, she is able to avoid stooping to Trump's level. Maybe a rung or two down from the high road, but yeah.

Also, in an article that I read yesterday that talks about the debate stuff, http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/15/opinions/presidential-debate-preparation-stanley/index.html , it's totally possible to overprepare. Though honestly, I'm not sure what that would would look like for Hillary, other than maybe looking more robotic than she usually does and getting stuck like Rubio did.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:14:46 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: September 20, 2016, 04:39:09 pm »

Step 1: Trump Wins

Step 2: DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHEAD

Step 3: Dems win 80 Senate seats in 2018, all according to kekaku.

Step 4: Being a Fucking White Male is made illegal.

Step 5: .......Profit....?

Step 6: We all die in the climate crisis.

Floating. Artificial. Independent. Island.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4474 on: September 20, 2016, 04:39:27 pm »

I dont think it's the slightest bit of exaggeration to say that he is far and away the most manifestly unqualified person ever to be seriously put forward for the office of president.  But 40% of voters clearly do not share my view and the fact that they haven't been convinced in the past informs my expectations about their future beliefs.

I agree. It makes me ashamed to be an American.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: September 20, 2016, 04:46:12 pm »

I dont think it's the slightest bit of exaggeration to say that he is far and away the most manifestly unqualified person ever to be seriously put forward for the office of president.  But 40% of voters clearly do not share my view and the fact that they haven't been convinced in the past informs my expectations about their future beliefs.

I agree. It makes me ashamed to be an American.

That's not a uniquely American thing. I love the America as a city on a hill ideal as much or more than the next person, but people are stupid, silly creatures.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4476 on: September 20, 2016, 04:59:07 pm »

It's not that I expect the USA to be the best, I just expect it to be better than this.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: September 20, 2016, 05:31:15 pm »

I wish he was a better con man, you know? What bugs me about Americans vs. the election is not the fact they're being taken in; it's that they're being taken in by a guy who has put out no real effort to be good at what he does: lying. His lies are specious on their face. His examples are constantly exaggerated. He drops lines like the worst, most superficial stereotype of a used car salesmen you've ever heard.

And yet people are buying it. Or perhaps maybe they're not buying "it" so much as just voting their anger and giving it to the candidate who most resemebles their unfocused, conspiracy theory-laden beliefs.

I just expected a little more out of Americans. Not that they'd be impervious to demagoguery, no nation is. Not that they'd "do the right thing" and not elect him based on the catastrophic stances he's taken on, well, mostly everything. No, I just expected American conservatives not to settle for literally the meanest bargain bin reality TV star they could get. Because you know what this means? If Trump can get elected, then pretty much anyone with money can. Bieber can get elected president as long as he can drum up enough popular support. Kanye can. Kardasshian can. Anyone can, as long as you can capture the popular imagination and have enough money to start with.

It'd be beautiful if it weren't in fact cheap and tawdry. I've always wanted an America where a commoner can actually get elected president just based on their beliefs and, in turn, popular support. But Trump isn't a commoner. He's just the next rich white guy ready to take a crack at exerting personal control over US politics and policy. And he's just simply fucking terrible at pitching to people. I don't know what sort of person listens to a Trump pitch and goes "You know what, this guy has it on the money. He's clued in." Maybe, MAYBE 1980s Donald Trump would meet my own personal expectation of the bare minimum skill a conservative Republican candidate would have to demonstrate to get elected. 2016 Donald Trump sounds like a sweaty drunk shouting into a mic and what he shouts about is just as solid.

Put another way. If Trump was actually Bill from Kansas with a retirement account and $60,000 in life savings, he'd have likely never even made the nomination. But because Americans are such well-trained consumers, the fact Trump is a name they've been seeing for years actually carries some capital with them. Never mind what that name was built on, or how it was built and managed. Poopooing Trump as much as I do, I still have to admit he has real insight on one fact: it's all about the brand. He's been cultivating that for decades and now it has the real chance to pay dividends. Granted, it probably wouldn't work as well if outrage, suspicion and frustration with "government" wasn't the order of the day. But in that, his timing for a move like this may prove to be pretty much flawless.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:34:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: September 20, 2016, 05:52:02 pm »

Actually, Clinton is at higher risk of having a bad debate or otherwise not looking like the clear winner because the expectations are so high for her.

I wouldn't disagree with that.  I'm just saying that there is a chance greater then zero that Trump just completely falls apart during the debate and we get a landslide afterall.  It will be his first one on one debate, it will be his first partisan debate and all the voters who haven't been paying attention until now will be tuning in.  I'm not saying I expect him to fall apart but he might.

I wish he was a better con man, you know?

If Dr. Sam Beckett from quantum leap body swapped with Trump and tried to sabotage Trumps campaign he couldn't.  There is nothing more to be done that Trump hasn't already done.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: September 20, 2016, 06:07:38 pm »

Dr. Sam Beckett would probably be repulsed by who he quantum jumped into.

He wouldn't be able to even if he tried because it would be in his future, and thus inaccessible.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: September 20, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »

Trump is officially corrupt, pure and simple.  It's not the appearance of corruption.  It's not possible corruption.  It's a smoking gun.  He spent charitable money to fund activities that enriched himself.  It clearly violates the letter and the spirit of the law.  And the man is such an idiot that he thought he could run for president and no one would investigate him.  And the sad thing is he got this far before anyone did.  And the saddest thing is it wont even matter.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: September 20, 2016, 06:36:54 pm »

I wonder if they investigated the Clinton Foundation any further than just the whole pay-to-play thing which may or may not have broken any laws, but definetly has the appearance of corruption. Harder to tell without knowing the whole picture and the full stories behind the activities.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: September 20, 2016, 06:41:01 pm »

but definetly has the appearance of corruption.

Gauntlet is thrown.  Name one person who gained access that was unjustified or name one favor that was granted.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: September 20, 2016, 06:45:01 pm »

but definetly has the appearance of corruption.

Gauntlet is thrown.  Name one person who gained access that was unjustified or name one favor that was granted.

I don't have a list of names, if that's what you're thinking because I don't.

I'll have to refresh my memory on the specifics of that.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: September 20, 2016, 06:48:30 pm »

Please do.  And please be very, very specific.  Specifics are where we separate the facts from the innuendo.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1249