Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392402 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4440 on: September 20, 2016, 02:10:52 am »

Still fairly sure Trump is only rather reckless and spiteful. Himself bigoted? I doubt it highly. He just plays the crowd. Showman, and all that. He's smart, but lacks self-control in the way people of such power often seen to.

On the bright side, America isn't the sole bastion of progress and innovation in the known world, unlike Rome, considering their contact at the time with China.

I dunno, I used to think he was just pretending for the crowd, but he's got that racist grandpa vibe from time to time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4441 on: September 20, 2016, 06:40:57 am »

'Wild rumor'? They've laid all the evidence out, and it seems rather compelling. I particularly enjoyed the part where Stonetear had apparently written an erotic BDSM story where the woman calls the protagonist 'Paul'. As in, Paul Combetta. That part in particular is not the smoking gun, obviously, but it's a rich tapestry.

Sad to know that the FBI's bloodhounds and general dirt-digging can't compete with pol's weaponized autism, though. But it does lead to an entertaining possible future where the intelligence agencies have given up in shame of being outdone, and terrorist attack prevention duties have shifted to an all-shitlord task force who constantly save the nation in between posting rare Pepes and accusing each other of flamboyant homosexuality.
Think tanks are all becoming obsolete
Versus the onward march of drums and neets
Posting rare pepes they do it for free
All they want is normies to FUCK OFF REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: September 20, 2016, 07:00:50 am »

¿Que?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: September 20, 2016, 08:19:58 am »

Still fairly sure Trump is only rather reckless and spiteful. Himself bigoted? I doubt it highly. He just plays the crowd. Showman, and all that. He's smart, but lacks self-control in the way people of such power often seen to.

He was doing racist shit long before he was going to run for office though.  It cant be a showman if he is putting on a show for nobody.

Late Rome did not look like bastion of progress or inovation.

Ever notice that all the legal and religious terms are in Latin?  There is a reason for that.  Even for centuries after the fall of the Roman empire in the west the Roman traditions lived on.  Latin was the language of scholarship and philosophy.  The Roman empire also lasted in the east until the mid 15th century.  Until it was sacked by the crusades there were able to maintain their civilized traditions and cities like Constantinople, Thessaloniki and Athens were bastions of stability that were much larger and more economically important then places like Rome, Paris or London.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:28:17 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nuoun

• Escaped Lunatic
  • NO SENSE MAKES SENSE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: September 20, 2016, 09:13:42 am »

Any George Carlin fans? (Probably NSFW and bonus trigger warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsQ7jJJcEA

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4445 on: September 20, 2016, 09:38:30 am »

Ever notice that all the legal and religious terms are in Latin?  There is a reason for that.  Even for centuries after the fall of the Roman empire in the west the Roman traditions lived on.  Latin was the language of scholarship and philosophy.  The Roman empire also lasted in the east until the mid 15th century.  Until it was sacked by the crusades there were able to maintain their civilized traditions and cities like Constantinople, Thessaloniki and Athens were bastions of stability that were much larger and more economically important then places like Rome, Paris or London.
Spoiler: not america (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:54 am »

Spoiler: not america (click to show/hide)

Fun fact: The Romance languages are themselves descended from Latin. Someday, English will itself spawn off it's own major radiative branch in the language tree, and the proccess is already underway. Though globalization slows that down somewhat, or perhaps might even accelerate it locally.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4447 on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:52 am »

Globalization may not stop that shit from happening, same way as how bring two people with two different dialects if they don't like each other closer together causes those dialects to become even more pronounced
In a way, English has done that already
The differences between the Anglosphere English is quite small (though as 'quite', shows, meanings have diverged a bit), creole languages though are much more obvious and with American culture and Anglo culture spilling over the world like an amazon drum of lube with the sides torn off shit like that's gonna happen more often

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: September 20, 2016, 10:26:01 am »

Any George Carlin fans?

Not me.  He thinks he knows a lot more then he does when in fact he is just a typical uninformed moron.  But people generally mistake cynicism for intelligence so they act like he's smart.  He's not.  He isn't even trying to be smart, he's a comedian.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4449 on: September 20, 2016, 10:31:02 am »

Not me.  He thinks he knows a lot more then he does when in fact he is just a typical uninformed moron.  But people generally mistake cynicism for intelligence so they act like he's smart.  He's not.  He isn't even trying to be smart, he's a comedian.
Reminds me of the saying on how you don't need to be a swimmer to know when someone's drowning

All the same, knowing how to spot someone drowning doesn't mean you know how to swim

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: September 20, 2016, 10:32:34 am »

Yeah, and besides, it's only been, what, 300 or 400 years since the British started spreading English all over the place and even something written in English 300 years ago is still perfectly readable. Even if the word use and slang is different.

Still, 300 years time is long enough to split American and British english from each other, even if in tiny ways.

Though I was thinking of the amount of time needed to split it into distinct languages. Also, as English is so fond of doing, it's actually hybridizing with other languages too, which is what a Creole language is actually I think.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:38:33 am by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: September 20, 2016, 10:37:03 am »

Spoiler: Rome (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:44:49 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: September 20, 2016, 10:40:18 am »

Wrong quote attribution there maniac (attributed to me by accident when it was LW), just letting you know. :)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: September 20, 2016, 10:44:55 am »

Strange.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4454 on: September 20, 2016, 11:54:09 am »

I wonder if Trump gets elected but the democrats sweep the congress, I wonder if they'll turn the SC filibuster around and start blocking everyone trump proposes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 1249