Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392372 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4410 on: September 19, 2016, 04:20:04 pm »

Particularly if we're talking about presidential candidates and trying to maximize positive reform.
Like I told my brother recently...  Sanders would have made a great enlightened dictator, at least for a 4 year term or two.  But in reality we have to elect a leader who will work along with congress to enact positive change.  A pragmatist.

Actually maybe I complain too much about the electoral college and power of the president.  The composition of Congress has always been far more important than our president.  Though nowadays we're seeing a lot of power being grabbed by the executive branch...  I think that's a bad sign, and a bad thing.  That's not what the office was supposed to be.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: September 19, 2016, 04:52:33 pm »

There isn't very much room to the left of Clinton, politically.
Well aware. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like it, though.

Also gods no, sanders would have been a terrifying prospect for an enlightened dictator even before all the shit that happened in the last handful of months. He's good on some subjects but other stuff I wouldn't want him close enough to touch with a ten foot pole.

... also fairly sure the executive branch hasn't actually expanded its powers much nowadays. Probably gets more attention these days because congress... is... but the exercise of power and whatnot (via executive orders, ferex) have either been largely steady or trending down, last I checked. Most of the major expansions happened a good ways back.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: September 19, 2016, 04:58:34 pm »

Well, electably no, there isn't, actually yeah there is a huge gulf of crazies and nutjobs over here to the left of even Sanders. Chasing after our votes isn't good though, gotta get dem centrists!
If people broke into more and more varied buildings, human trafficking might be lessened. Overpopulation may be lessened by eating Irish infants.
Mmm, delicious babies, and since they're more likely to be ginger, you don't have to worry about them ever getting a soul (you don't get a soul until you're like a year and a half old) so no guilt whatsoever!
You just need to make longer points.  Then your original post about the placebo can be diluted.  In fact make entirely new posts that dont mention the placebo angle at all.  That way they will have the memory of the placebo and be as strong as possible.
They need to quote the post and remove half of the letters repeatedly, and keep doing this dozens of times after there are no letters left.

It doesn't help when that shit can wind up near actual medication. The missus had a sty and her mom went to get the same goop she got for me but couldn't see the usual package so she grabbed a similar looking one from the same shelf and brought it back to us, when I saw the bottle I thought it looked weird and then I noticed small letters: Homeopathic across part of the box.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: September 19, 2016, 05:03:33 pm »

... also fairly sure the executive branch hasn't actually expanded its powers much nowadays.

Congressional inaction strengthens the executive branch by default.  If congress wants to limit carbon emissions they can.  If congress wants to stop limits on carbon emissions they can.  But if congress is too divided to do either of these things, the white house lawyers have plenty of time to finding ways to act that are within the existing decades old laws.  Congress can always take this power back at any time by just updating the law but until congress does, the executive branch has more power at it's discretion.  And as Clinton fills the benches the president will probably have the courts strike down fewer of their legal kludges.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: September 19, 2016, 05:07:33 pm »

Eh... true enough, but I'm relatively certain that's not what most of the discussion of expanding executive power revolves around >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »

If people broke into more and more varied buildings, human trafficking might be lessened. Overpopulation may be lessened by eating Irish infants.
Mmm, delicious babies, and since they're more likely to be ginger, you don't have to worry about them ever getting a soul (you don't get a soul until you're like a year and a half old) so no guilt whatsoever!
In case the reader hasn't read the book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »

Bush II and Obama both expanded executive authority to a worrying extend.  Shit's nonpartisan, just foreboding.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: September 19, 2016, 05:13:41 pm »

In case the reader hasn't read the book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal
I haven't read it but did know what you were referencing, due to my babyeating position.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: September 19, 2016, 06:30:30 pm »

Eh... true enough, but I'm relatively certain that's not what most of the discussion of expanding executive power revolves around >_>
Then that is the only part of it worth discussing.

There is a system of checks and balances. When one branch is ineffective, the other branches pick up the slack. Remember when the Voting Rights Act was struck down partially? Congress could have fixed that in a single year. Remember both Obamacare decisions? They both got to the top purely because the wording was vague and Congress wasn't in the mood to clarify.

It impresses me: the degree to which Congress has abdicated power. Ordinarily, that is the one thing that unites the chamber, but now nothing really does. The Supreme Court analyzes interpretations of laws that Congress could clarify easily: either to allow the President such power (such as to regulate Coal Mining under the Clean Air Act as Obama has) or to curtail it by stepping on those interpretations. Now they do neither, so the Supreme Court's naturally grows to cover more territory: less "constitutional" and more "legal".

Consider, instead, Presidential Power to wage war. If Congress believed Obama was in violation of his rights or doing something and/or involved somewhere in a way he should not be, they could state so and take action. If they believed he was in the right regarding his current actions, they could pass an authorization. Instead, they do nothing, and by doing so weaken their ability to check the President in the future.

This is not an agreeable state-of-affairs.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: September 19, 2016, 06:39:02 pm »

@misko27
Yeah.
America hasn't declared war since WW2.
All the wars since then - which weren't technically wars, but they really were- were defying a incredibly simple and clear role of our Congress.

I believe in big government, but I also believe in a strong congress that accurately represents the people.
Not this... farce of a popularity contest, defiled by the two-party system.  And it is a TWO party system, de facto.
And the winner should not be our dictator, merely an executor of the will of Congress.  IE the will of our states, and thereby the will of us voters.
She/they

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: September 19, 2016, 06:46:41 pm »

Also gods no, sanders would have been a terrifying prospect for an enlightened dictator even before all the shit that happened in the last handful of months. He's good on some subjects but other stuff I wouldn't want him close enough to touch with a ten foot pole.

... also fairly sure the executive branch hasn't actually expanded its powers much nowadays. Probably gets more attention these days because congress... is... but the exercise of power and whatnot (via executive orders, ferex) have either been largely steady or trending down, last I checked. Most of the major expansions happened a good ways back.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/every-presidents-executive-actions-in-one-chart/\
In fact, just like how Obama's spending increases were actually the slowest since Eisenhower, Obama has the lowest number of executive orders per year of any president since Grover Cleveland (1893 – 1897). So much for the theory that Obama is acting like an emperor who's spending us to oblivion.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4422 on: September 19, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »

I mean, pretty much here.  Not 100%, but it used to be pretty extreme...
And they're pretty good points, though I blame Sanders supporters more than Sanders himself.  Like Trump, I think the loudest supporters are completely out of hand.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't believe I missed an opportunity to make a joke on feeling the bern, but honestly that's a bit overplayed last year ago so eh

Polls in: Clinton 2% lead
Polls have failed in my eyes consistently past 10 years but maybe for murrica they won't be such bullshit

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: September 19, 2016, 07:06:00 pm »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/every-presidents-executive-actions-in-one-chart/\
In fact, just like how Obama's spending increases were actually the slowest since Eisenhower, Obama has the lowest number of executive orders per year of any president since Grover Cleveland (1893 – 1897). So much for the theory that Obama is acting like an emperor who's spending us to oblivion.

That's not particularly useful information. An "executive order" isn't a good unit to actually look at what those executive orders are doing and especially what they're doing on the edges of traditional and constitutional presidential powers.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: September 19, 2016, 07:11:03 pm »

America hasn't declared war since WW2.

Yes but in every military action Congress has given a clear authorization.  It's declaring war just not in so many words.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1249