Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393011 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4335 on: September 18, 2016, 10:13:53 pm »

I can sell you a citizenship application for a purely independent nation-state experiment that begins whenever I successfully acquire an island or oil rig.
Where can I sign up?

Send me a decent resume and I'll see. Immigration is flexibly controlled by having non-standardized forms examined and approved individually.
You know, when you say it like that it doesn't sound like a terrible idea at all.

Well yeah, a small country where population can be purely controlled to like-minded, competent individuals with an emphasis on those able and willing to contribute resources would be very effective in the short term. It's just wildly unavailable.

With sufficient benefits and motivation, I'd fully expect volunteer S rank Mexicans to join up. Obviously, they're at a disadvantage because any resume that's not in English would just be ran through Google translate, but that's not unfair because language barriers in a small group is a very possible problem (also, Google translate is a much better option than me making use of my Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Hangul skills).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:13 pm »

I can't wait to learn Kikongo.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: September 18, 2016, 10:48:06 pm »

The missus was trying to find somewhere she could read something from Little Birds by Anais Nin, the closest I could find for her was on a russian site which her chromebook helpfully offered to translate.

What followed made me decide that she must make a youtube show of her reading this shit and responding to it. "Wait, 'Then he was proud to look in mirror to see much penis disappearing, as girls were not soon coming to visit.' Was that even in the book? 'Exotic... n-e-o-d-e-z-h-e-n-i and bird is like girl and womens' I don't even know how to say that word?" Mostly because she was reading it with her crap russian accent.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:33 pm »

I can sell you a citizenship application for a purely independent nation-state experiment that begins whenever I successfully acquire an island or oil rig.
Where can I sign up?

Send me a decent resume and I'll see. Immigration is flexibly controlled by having non-standardized forms examined and approved individually.
You know, when you say it like that it doesn't sound like a terrible idea at all.

Well yeah, a small country where population can be purely controlled to like-minded, competent individuals with an emphasis on those able and willing to contribute resources would be very effective in the short term. It's just wildly unavailable.

With sufficient benefits and motivation, I'd fully expect volunteer S rank Mexicans to join up. Obviously, they're at a disadvantage because any resume that's not in English would just be ran through Google translate, but that's not unfair because language barriers in a small group is a very possible problem (also, Google translate is a much better option than me making use of my Spanish, Russian, Arabic, and Hangul skills).
Considering I once observed a GS-15 admin assistant run classified Mexican intel briefings through Google Translate, I'd say it's fair game. >_<

As far as the election, there are now WAY too many swing states for me to be comfortable. A full 13 states (plus half of Maine) are now considered "toss-up" territory by RCP. And once again, it may all come down to fucking FLORIDA. With Ohio and North Carolina running 2nd and 3rd in the contest for "who will people blame for the next 4-8 years for all this shit?"

Come on, somebody goad Trump into doing something stupider than usual, please.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: September 18, 2016, 10:56:37 pm »

The only way 2016 could plausibly escalate at this point, short of an assassination, is for Trump to win the EC but lose the popular vote.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: September 18, 2016, 10:57:36 pm »

The only way 2016 could plausibly escalate at this point, short of an assassination, is for Trump to win the EC but lose the popular vote.
Actually, I think the other way around might be worse. Would play perfectly into his "rigged election" narrative.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: September 18, 2016, 11:00:59 pm »

I don't know. When the system cracks in favor of the corrupt establishment, that's just playing ball. Happens all the time. When the system cracks in favor of an inexperienced hyperbolic populist? Oh shit. If you think Rachel Maddow having a nervous breakdown on national television or college students organizing political witchhunts against each other is bad now..
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: September 18, 2016, 11:03:53 pm »

I'm increasingly of the opinion that I'm taking Election Day and the day after off from work.

Just in case. Y'know...extra time to set up the barricades, dig moats, etc.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: September 18, 2016, 11:13:34 pm »

My parents live in Florida, so apology in advance.

Not that they can vote, but I still feel that it's my duty to apologize that I have family living in Florida.
We appreciate the thought, I wrote apparate twice, damn you Rowling!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: September 18, 2016, 11:15:07 pm »

I'm increasingly of the opinion that I'm taking Election Day and the day after off from work.

Just in case. Y'know...extra time to set up the barricades, dig moats, etc.

Move to an oil rig?

I'm in California now, so my ability to deal with the breakdown of society is greatly decreased. Hopefully Google has an automated robot army to maintain control or something.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: September 18, 2016, 11:25:02 pm »

Wouldn't matter, the news would just ignore it.  Oh that's just trump being trump.  Everybody I know who is a professional journalist knows all about it so I'm sure our viewers all know about it.  Now quick, let's go have a bunch of people sit in front of a camera for hours and repeatedly state that they are waiting for information about the bombing in New York.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We learned that he stole 9/11 recovery funds and stole from charity!  And by "we" I mean freaking nobody because the media was too busy having journalists sit in front of a camera for hours and repeatedly state that they didn't know Hillary's health but were happy to speculate.

What we have to hope is that he personally insults TV news anchors every day from here until the election.  That seems to be the only thing that makes these people do their goddamn job.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:26:52 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: September 18, 2016, 11:32:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Sorry, that pic is too big to display on Twitter correctly. Can we just cut it down to the top 5? The intern should have it ready within an hour after that."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: September 19, 2016, 12:00:54 am »

I'm having a hard time summoning pity for Hillary Clinton not getting fair treatment from the media, considering the primary.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: September 19, 2016, 12:25:32 am »

Wouldn't matter, the news would just ignore it.  Oh that's just trump being trump.
In fairness, Trump constantly sets new standards. Any other politician would be waylaid by the constant stream of shit that hits him, but most just slides off him because it's not literally insulting dead war veterans.

Unless he goes on television and says "You know, Hitler was a pretty cool guy", I don't know what he can't mitigate.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: September 19, 2016, 02:06:09 am »

5 more explosives have been found in New Jersey, stashed in a backpack deposited in a garbage can at New Jersey's train station. One bomb detonated when a robot tried defusing it. FBI is trying to defuse the other four as we speak.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 1249