Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393498 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4245 on: September 17, 2016, 10:55:08 am »

If you bitch about social justice warriors without a trace of irony you have zero right to bitch about trump.
I don't discriminate; I mock all fringe loonies equally. The source from which hateful authoritarian ideologies are derived is ultimately irrelevant in the face of what they produce - in the end it doesn't matter why people are being harangued, censored, imprisoned, &c. unjustly, merely that they are. The alt-left is just as destructive and selfish as the alt-right, the only difference is that they haven't had as long to show it.

Anyone trying to frame the current political climate in the U.S. as a binary "us vs. them" has an agenda to push.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:58:15 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: September 17, 2016, 11:05:26 am »

I'm pretty sure that the world can be summed up into two groups: "People who are me" and "People who are not me". Hopefully these groups can work together and find common ground, but their side has some serious criminals. And some, I assume, are good people.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: September 17, 2016, 12:10:27 pm »

You don't mock all fringe loonies. You don't mock yourself.

Now I am sure one of our countless diehard progressive Berners will explain why it's radical to mock everyone who wants progress by calling them childish.

Step right up Berners.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: September 17, 2016, 12:16:59 pm »

You don't mock all fringe loonies. You don't mock yourself.

Now I am sure one of our countless diehard progressive Berners will explain why it's radical to mock everyone who wants progress by calling them childish.

Step right up Berners.
10/10 strawman there
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: September 17, 2016, 12:17:14 pm »

If you bitch about social justice warriors without a trace of irony you have zero right to bitch about trump.
I don't discriminate; I mock all fringe loonies equally. The source from which hateful authoritarian ideologies are derived is ultimately irrelevant in the face of what they produce - in the end it doesn't matter why people are being harangued, censored, imprisoned, &c. unjustly, merely that they are. The alt-left is just as destructive and selfish as the alt-right, the only difference is that they haven't had as long to show it.

Anyone trying to frame the current political climate in the U.S. as a binary "us vs. them" has an agenda to push.
pretty sure they don't... actually... exist, though?

it's just trolls and poes at this point, riffing off teenagers who think they have it all figured out.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: September 17, 2016, 12:32:00 pm »

We maybe have enough sane, self-aware, politically active people to populate and govern a small, rocky atoll somewhere in the Pacific, seems like sometimes.
Like a sort of paradise, a heaven if you will, on the outside.
The Illuminati tried building a fortress of solitude in the Himalayas.... ; )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: September 17, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »

Glory glory glory

*EDIT
Dat panic though
History will remember when the meme frogs unseated the reptilian nwo
Germany was in a slump / it was a sad, sad story / need someone to pick it up and restore it's former glory / where o where was he? where can that man be? / we looked around, and finally found, a man for you and me....

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: September 17, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »

I encountered a meme on Facebook that I found witty and somewhat thought provoking.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: September 17, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »

Narrative control....

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: September 17, 2016, 01:12:37 pm »

Look

I can respect my enemies

even their flags
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: September 17, 2016, 02:24:29 pm »

Glory glory glory

*EDIT
Dat panic though
History will remember when the meme frogs unseated the reptilian nwo
Holy shit did you hear the sheer panic in her voice? And to think that I used to respect Maddow.

C-can we just, I dunno, burn down U.S. politics and start over? The only people I can even remotely identify with or take seriously are in the progressive core that avoided the SJW regressive pit trap and the dozen or so moderate conservatives that are left. We maybe have enough sane, self-aware, politically active people to populate and govern a small, rocky atoll somewhere in the Pacific, seems like sometimes.

I mean damn we're getting to the point where trolls poking grumpy disconnected old people and the easily triggered with shitty memes are displaying stronger critical thinking skills than major public figures.
Care to explain what's so terrible about this video? Yet another fussy middle-aged liberal discovers the toxic mother lode of outrage guarded by the Unholy Brotherhood of Pepe... and then what? What kind of reaction would you expect from a "media personality" like Maddow?

Can you identify Auntie Rachel's brand of "hateful authoritarianism?" Is it far-left, far-right, or far-center, or what?

Mind you, although the groups denoted by "alt-left" and "SJW" may have a fair degree of overlap in practice, they are not the same thing. The latter is typically applied to vociferous "Tumblr activists" and their ilk, but in the broadest sense it can be applied to anyone who isn't a proven member of the "alt-right," including you and me. In contrast, the former is usually an umbrella term for all the non-alt-rightists who really don't fit into the "Tumblr activist SJW" stereotype, and it thereby covers a wide variety of fringe groups from "anarchists" to "tankies" to "antisemitic communist MRA white supremacist furries" (or what the fuck ever). You can call Maddow an "SJW" if you really want to stretch the definitions to the limit, but "alt-left" she ain't.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:27:19 pm by SirQuiamus »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: September 17, 2016, 02:30:31 pm »

Older people not understanding the internet is fairly low on my list of terrible aspects of the media, but I think that Maddow segment does illustrate the tendency of pundits to drift into absurd hyperbole. It's most strikingly absurd to us, because we know the context of the meme, but it really is the same surface level railing they usually engage in.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: September 17, 2016, 03:24:23 pm »

Older people not understanding the internet is fairly low on my list of terrible aspects of the media, but I think that Maddow segment does illustrate the tendency of pundits to drift into absurd hyperbole. It's most strikingly absurd to us, because we know the context of the meme, but it really is the same surface level railing they usually engage in.
I hope people will eventually get used to gratuitously edgy hyperbole in the same way we eventually get used to gratuitously edgy memes. The one thing that could burst the current over-inflated bubble of media hyperbole would be widespread insensitivity to all kinds of self-serving edginess among the internet-faring public -- and that's a pretty tall order, really. I sure hope we'll get at least halfway-there before "murder" becomes the most frequent word in news headlines that have nothing to do with killing or planning to kill people.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4258 on: September 17, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »

This is why the "hidden village of wise masters" trope always rings true for me...I can totally see wise masters saying "fuck this shit" and splitting to some nook in the Himalayas or deepest Africa or somewhere in Nebraska.
The masters are not wise

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: September 17, 2016, 03:31:53 pm »

This is why the "hidden village of wise masters" trope always rings true for me...I can totally see wise masters saying "fuck this shit" and splitting to some nook in the Himalayas or deepest Africa or somewhere in Nebraska.
The masters are not wise

Then one requires better masters.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 1249