Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392574 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically Insane
« Reply #3900 on: September 11, 2016, 03:27:38 am »

Fuck people for wanting kids and control of their lives, right?
Yeah, fuck them, in fact. You're not the only person in the world, you know. We're all stuck here together in a very precarious position that will define all future humans lives. What an individual wants has no bearing if it jeopardizes that. There's seven billion humans in the world, a person's childish desires for a giant family that is actually a swirling drain of resource depletion isn't as important.

As for it being control, please. If reveling in your their ignorance and inflicting it on everybody else is how people control their lives then maybe they really should have it controlled for them.
There's no point in maintaining the human race's future if we aren't even able to allow it now. Wanting a family is not childish, and people are not just resource sinks. They're goddamned people. Should people have a lot of kids? Maybe not, and there's a few reasons for that. But you don't get to tell people how to live their lives. You don't get to control them.  You don't get to say 'no, you're not allowed to have any children'. They have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You do not get to restrict the second for the future of the third. People are people, it does not matter on whit whether they're ignorant or not (fuck all those poor people in India, right? fucking assholes making it so their grandchildren are using up all the resources in the future).

None of this changes the fact that most CO2 reduction is just going to come down to time in the sun. We've recorded the effect of how ppm changes between summer and winter, and while it's certainly distinct it goes (IIRC) from 415 to 389 ppm. Meaningful. But not a solution.

....Well no shit it's not gonna do anything if we continue putting out this much. My point was that if we stopped clear-cutting and replenished greenery where possible, that it would a. help, and b. that not every aspect of CO2 in the atmosphere was terribad. And furthermore that nature is pretty decent at establishing equilibrium. If we move off of fossil fuels, or reduce their use significantly (since the increased rates of carbon use are both more advantageous for us in several respects and counter a certain amount of fossil fuel use), then the mechanisms for dealing with the carbon in the atmosphere will in fact help.

And no, sunlight breaking down carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is not a significant part of the carbon cycle. At all. As in looking at carbon cycle stuff I literally can find zero mention of it.
This is just plain wrong. You don't know what materials are used in fracking fluid unless you work for the companies who own the proprietary. And I'm sure people's taps going up in flames is just red propaganda or something.

You know, in my glorious state they also passed a law that lets companies drill sideways under your land to obtain mineral resources under it. Just an aside of how clean and upstanding of a business this is.
...They are pulling up methane, most of the time. Methane, strangely enough, is able to catch on fire. If there's a significant bubble drawn up alongside the methane in the pipes that gets out, that can catch on fire for a brief time. And literally, the guy who invented fracking used bleach and soap, because they were cheap and there was no real reason to use any other chemical in the process, and people have done studies on this stuff. Here, let me list some of the ones my source used.
Not even sure how the drilling thing relates, unless by mineral resources you mean oil and gas.

If I am immoral beyond words then you are reckless beyond them. Literally aggravating stable faultlines and not caring, I don't even have anything to say if you don't see why this is a stupid, stupid fucking thing to do. Yeah, I'm sure it'll stop at "just little shakes". Do you support dropping little artificial hurricanes on New Orleans too? For the first time I say this completely unironically, lo and behold the hubris of mankind.
...Yeah. It does, in fact, stop at small shakes. This isn't a magical process we can never understand and is too great for humanity to comprehend. This isn't playing God here. Stable faultlines don't quake, lubricated or no. Stressed ones do. If category I typhoons turned out to be the product of specific air travel lines, I would find that fascinating. I would also see it as completely

Also, my point wasn't about your morality, but if you want to bring it up; I would very much rather be trying to help the world recklessly than give people their 'just desserts' cautiously. Literally my life goal is to cure death via nanotechnology. So yeah, you could say I'm ambitious.

Please stop focusing the example. My point, my original point before we got tracked off here is that innovation is not a solution to anything, ever. Innovation increases certain options we have available to us. That's it. Sometimes we get a smallpox vaccination and sometimes we get a suitcase nuke. Whether any innovative potential is ever actually used depends entirely on the economic and societal circumstances. Hence why we could have long ago massively improved our sustainability but have not, while people continue to cling to "innovation will save us"
...More options is literally a solution if no options currently available solve a given problem effectively. I dunno if you've noticed, but no one's used a suitcase nuke. Now compare the lack of anyone dying to a suitcase nuke to the fact of smallpox not existing anymore. Our sustainability has massively improved compared to where it used to be, iirc. It's not perfect, and coal plants need to disappear as quick as can be, but to say there's no progress because we could be farther ahead is a fallacy.

Also, if you don't want me to focus on bad analogies that try to equate innovation with child sacrifice...don't make them. Seriously. Innovation can have consequences, yes, technologically induced redundancy and all that. That doesn't mean you stop innovating. And organisation styles and sweeping administrative policy changes are also innovations. They're just much harder to do.

Jesus does not have every climatologist in the world supporting him.
Only every second Christian.
Do I even have to say it?
Only half of Christians support Jesus? Shouldn't it be all of them?
[/quote]
It was the idea of attributing everything they see to God's work or something like that. I was trying to stay on the safe side.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:48:54 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: September 11, 2016, 03:47:15 am »

Goddamnit buttons ignore this
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 11, 2016, 03:49:19 am »

The variation in tropospheric CO2 has nothing to do with the Sun breaking it down, there is too much atmosphere in the way soaking up any photons which would be energetic enough to do that, it's all about plant life.

Oooh, found this while looking for an older visualization I had seen, this is my kind of modeling, turning raw data into something pretty you can compare against other data in a new fashion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SgmFa0r04 notice the drawdown over the greener parts of the world as they reach summer, and that it is so dramatic across the northern hemisphere due to the big swath of temperate and tropical land soaking it up each year as air gets turned into trees.

Here's a version of the model output you can play around with and view in a less distorted fashion, plus tons of other overlays, love this damn site: https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/chem/surface/level/overlay=co2sc/orthographic

saigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 11, 2016, 05:21:14 am »

Oooh, found this while looking for an older visualization I had seen, this is my kind of modeling, turning raw data into something pretty you can compare against other data in a new fashion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SgmFa0r04 notice the drawdown over the greener parts of the world as they reach summer, and that it is so dramatic across the northern hemisphere due to the big swath of temperate and tropical land soaking it up each year as air gets turned into trees.
Did you just ignore the guy saying half of the carbon produced doesn't get absorbed?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 11, 2016, 06:11:22 am »

Has anybody bothered to send a sample of their water to a laboratory for analysis? Is there no record of water quality and composition from before fracking for comparison?
Sure? I'm not on top of how accessible or prevalent it is, but folks test ground and tap water fairly regularly for all sorts of reasons and have been doing so for a while now. Among other things, so far as I can recall it's mandatory for a fair amount of zoning and construction and whatnot permissions, and things of that nature, at the very least in the state I'm in -- putting in a well, ferex, requires getting groundwater samples from where you're putting it tested (for what, I can't recall, but the records of the results would be there) if you don't want to be up to yer arse in fines.

Also pretty sure annual/biannual/whatever tap water reports are at least fairly common, possibly even mandated at some level and/or in some places. If it's the right data or properly taken or particularly available to the public I've got zog all clue, but there's almost certainly going to be at least some pre-fracking data for comparison.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: September 11, 2016, 06:36:27 am »

Did you just ignore the guy saying half of the carbon produced doesn't get absorbed?
What guy? Was there sound? Stop calling it carbon, it's carbon dioxide (though that model visualization also had carbon monoxide), though that's just a minor peeve. All I was doing was providing a visual example of the zonal changes in CO2 which help illustrate why there is a summer to winter variation.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: September 11, 2016, 08:52:14 am »

Wait, so what's wrong with fracking? Releases methane into the air, can go wrong if proper protocols aren't taken, it can cause small earthquakes (which to me seems like it's just releasing the existing tension, since the reason it happens is essentially lubrication). But yeah, I mean, child sacrifice, totally the same level here, I definitely see your point. >.>
I'm guessing you don't live anywhere near hydrocarbon country where they've shifted over to fracking.

"releases methane into the air" doesn't quite fucking cover it, for one
It also tends to release other pollutants on the scale of hundreds of pounds of particulates and aerosolized hydrocarbons, and thousands of pounds of CO and NOx, per pump job. They drill thousands of those wells annually in the U.S. alone.

It completely fucks up the groundwater, often making it either unpotable or outright unfit for any human use. Groundwater also gets fucked by spills, flowback, and deliberate dumping of waste fluid. The EPA's data on fracking-related spills from 2006-2012 only indicated spills in 1% of operations-mostly because they didn't have sufficient access/cooperation/authority to gather meaningful data for rough a full third of the U.S. fracking operations in that period-but that those spills were collectively responsible for close to two and a half million gallons of spilled waste fluid, contaminants, &c., less than half of which were cleaned up; the rest presumably leaked into the water table.

Oh, and the fluid they do dispose of? Turns out that the process of injecting it into disposal wells, the method used for the vast majority that isn't just dumped into surface water sources, causes serious seismic activity, up to and including magnitude 4-5 earthquakes. Oh, and the actual mining process increases the frequency of minor seismic events drastically.

As an extra bonus, it also dumps a bunch of into water sources when waste fluid from contaminated wells is released accidentally or intentionally.

Fracking is absolutely fucking atrocious. It's a last-ditch process to suck up the really inaccessible deposits, and the extraction process is often worse environmentally than the processing and use of the hydrocarbons extracted.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: September 11, 2016, 09:14:44 am »

Can we get back to politics?

Giuliani: "Of course" taking Iraq's oil would have been legal: "Until the war is over, anything is legal."
If anyone forgot, Rudy Giuliani was mayor of NYC in 2001.
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: September 11, 2016, 11:11:47 am »

Hillary is down with some sort of health problem, possibly heat stroke. More information as it comes out and someone else posts it, because I'm far to lazy to chase up links.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: September 11, 2016, 11:33:17 am »

Hillary is down with some sort of health problem, possibly heat stroke. More information as it comes out and someone else posts it, because I'm far to lazy to chase up links.
Oh, ouch. Even if this is minor and/or temporary, it's really going to help Trump push the "omg shillary is dying" narrative.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: September 11, 2016, 12:00:25 pm »

It doesn't matter what you're selling.  Unless economic growth becomes exclusively linked to selling intangible products, I cannot grasp how it is possible without increasing consumption of resources to match, and carbon/energy is not the only resource we should be concerned about.  Not when we have consumed 1/10 of the world's remaining wilderness in the last 25 years.

We just have to put enough effort into restoration that the repair outspeeds the damage.

Google gives me nothing but two week old conspiracy theories.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: September 11, 2016, 12:04:12 pm »

It doesn't matter what you're selling.  Unless economic growth becomes exclusively linked to selling intangible products, I cannot grasp how it is possible without increasing consumption of resources to match, and carbon/energy is not the only resource we should be concerned about.  Not when we have consumed 1/10 of the world's remaining wilderness in the last 25 years.

We just have to put enough effort into restoration that the repair outspeeds the damage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zgazda66/status/774993814025011200
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: September 11, 2016, 12:38:30 pm »

Probably will be a press release in a while.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: September 11, 2016, 01:01:10 pm »

https://mobile.twitter.com/zgazda66/status/774993814025011200
Hillary being dragged into her car, as reportedly seen from another angle
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: September 11, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »

Looks like the same video on a monitor and then recorded with a phone, see the position bar moving?
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 1249