Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391414 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically Insane
« Reply #3750 on: September 08, 2016, 11:11:52 am »

New thread title is so apropos.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: September 08, 2016, 11:46:30 am »

I don't think probabilities work exactly like that, MSH, you're describing without clarifying priors. "If soandso is something, then the odds of otherthing are x per y events" is different from "if y events take place, then the odds of otherthing are 100%" and different from a range of other types of probabilistic statements of odds.

In 100 trillion trillion years the odds of me flipping a coin non-stop and having it land on edge, begin rotating rapidly, and transforming into a singing and dancing frog wearing a tophat may be nonzero, but that prior assumption implies the universe will last for 100 trillion trillion years and that I will be flipping a coin the whole time and that my understanding of the physics involved are sound.

Million to one odds happen. There are much more then a million things you would hear about if they happened. U wouldn't say that trump was a million to one but certainly less the 50%.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: September 08, 2016, 01:21:41 pm »

I've always chalked it up as there being uncounted for factors that were never in play during previous election cycles. 
Nate knows his shit, but that doesn't mean he is an all-seeing oracle.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: September 08, 2016, 04:06:29 pm »

I've always chalked it up as there being uncounted for factors that were never in play during previous election cycles.

But it's very easy to over react when you get new information.  Suppose you were going to roll two dice and thought ahead of time that the odds of snake eyes are 1:36, about 3%.  If you get snake eyes should you assume there was something special about that roll?  Nate gave Trump ~2% odds. (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/)  That's a little less likely then snake eyes.

It is possible to split the difference of course and say maybe there were new factors and maybe there weren't.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3754 on: September 08, 2016, 04:25:28 pm »

I'd kind of like to see a comparison of consequences for each presidential choice. As I see it:

Hillary: Continuation of Obama policies. The US is likely to have stable military commitments. No change in gun control laws. Replacement of 2-4 SCJs with liberal justices, probably a net 2 increase, which puts liberals in control of the court. Moderate increase in international respect. An insult to strongly misogynist countries and an embarrassment to ISIS. Expansion of the social net possible.

Trump: Mitigation of some Obama policies. Military action unpredictable due to contradictory rhetoric. No change in gun control laws. Replacement of 2-4 SCJs with conservative justices, probably a net 3 increase, which puts conservatives in total control of the court. Substantial decline in international respect. An affirmation to misogynist countries and potentially stronger ties with Russia. Expansion of the social net impossible.

Johnson: Radical change in policies. Likely reduction in military commitments. Replacement of 2-4 SCJ with potted plants. Congress loses what remain of its marbles. Pigs fly. Both party headquarters dissolve into witchhunts. EDIT: Apparently, Aleppo bombed into oblivion and all mention of it erased from records.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: September 08, 2016, 04:33:43 pm »

Unfortunately, this confirms for us that Johnson will be the winner of the election, as tachyons from his future instance are traveling back in time and blinding him of Aleppo's existence.

There is no war in Aleppo.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: September 08, 2016, 04:39:25 pm »

Johnson: Radical change in policies. Likely reduction in military commitments. Replacement of 2-4 SCJ with potted plants. Congress loses what remain of its marbles. Pigs fly. Both party headquarters dissolve into witchhunts. EDIT: Apparently, Aleppo bombed into oblivion and all mention of it erased from records.

Dogs and cats living together!

Mass Hysteria!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: September 08, 2016, 05:06:23 pm »

But it's very easy to over react when you get new information.  Suppose you were going to roll two dice and thought ahead of time that the odds of snake eyes are 1:36, about 3%.  If you get snake eyes should you assume there was something special about that roll?  Nate gave Trump ~2% odds. (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/)  That's a little less likely then snake eyes.

It is possible to split the difference of course and say maybe there were new factors and maybe there weren't.
Thus the wars between the Bayesians and the Frequentists, with their neverbombs, mayberays, and fully automatic assumptioncannons accounting for potentially unknowable prior casualties (and casual priorities), with p > 0.05.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3758 on: September 08, 2016, 05:16:51 pm »

Thus the wars between the Bayesians and the Frequentists, with their neverbombs, mayberays, and fully automatic assumptioncannons accounting for potentially unknowable prior casualties (and casual priorities), with p > 0.05.

So do I mail this to Al Gore or like is there a form I fill out so you can win an internet for that? Also, relevant xkcd.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:18:25 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: September 08, 2016, 05:21:17 pm »

Huh, I think I merged some of the statistics jokes I've seen with Dr. Who there somehow.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: September 08, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure Bayesian probability is witchcraft, so I'm going to support the frequentists.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: September 08, 2016, 05:37:55 pm »

Yeah, the Aleppo thing was just...>_<

Dammit Gary, and I was starting to lean back in your direction too.

Although Lindsey Graham got good mileage out of it by tweeting: "He set back the cause of legalizing marijuana by 50 years."  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: September 08, 2016, 05:44:19 pm »

Yeah. While I personally don't care too much one way or the other, stuff like this does hurt his chances of accomplishing anything.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if he somehow became president. Not because of what he'd want to do, which wouldn't happen because he'd have a hard time getting anyone in congress to cooperate with him, but because of the fallout this would have on the two major parties.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

saigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: September 08, 2016, 05:46:28 pm »

He admitted he was wrong though, that is very impressive.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: September 08, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »

Yeah. While I personally don't care too much one way or the other, stuff like this does hurt his chances of accomplishing anything.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if he somehow became president. Not because of what he'd want to do, which wouldn't happen because he'd have a hard time getting anyone in congress to cooperate with him, but because of the fallout this would have on the two major parties.

By my Friedman style method of asking 6 waiters, nobody knows what Aleppo is anyway.

I think that Johnson would have a very easy time getting the GOP in congress to rubberstamp 80% of his agenda.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 1249