Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390892 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3705 on: September 06, 2016, 05:03:32 pm »

Dammit I learned all that bullshit conspiracy knowledge when I really needed was "cute".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: September 06, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »

The world would be a better place if we all appreciated cuteness more.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: September 06, 2016, 07:14:35 pm »

Darn if simple answers aren't the best.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: September 06, 2016, 07:25:52 pm »

Wow she didn't know that a single c in a quote pyramid meant classified even though that is just one of three markings that are required to mean classified. When do we string her up?
Here, I'll join the Illuminati for the day. I'll expect my Clinton Foundation check and foreign worker serfs in the mail.
Reasonably, I'd expect that with sufficient internal dedication to the higher ideals of the concept, as well as strictly practical matters, there's some chance it would be stably positive. Our hypothetical MSF is never getting to be big enough to go toe to toe with a major power, because they always lack the kind of base of support that'd allow it. No native population or industry to fall back on makes taking over the world difficult. A fancy island as a base of operations would actually be perfect for this, big enough to allow the MSF organizational room, not enough to let them conquer the world more than our scope of knocking over especially questionable conduct from other militaries.
The big issue I see with this is not the risk of turning into roving marauders (accounting for that kind of thing is a known science), but that it's a reversal of the whole relationship of militaries with states. An organization capable of projecting force is inherently a giant resource black hole, entire societies are needed to support them. The trade-off is, of course, avoiding death.

PMCs obviously can function, but there's a good deal of emphasis on the "company" part and piggybacking on the logistics of state militaries. Going full Outer Heaven and protecting the weak from the strong comes with the territory of both the weak not having a lot to give in return and becoming a headache for nations with drone strikes and not a lot of restraint.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: September 06, 2016, 07:28:40 pm »

*ducks head through door*

Ah, business as usual I see. Ciao.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: September 06, 2016, 07:46:38 pm »

But if they're all ninjas, they won't need the backing of any nation, because ninjas just need pajamas, rope, homemade smoke bombs, and throwing knives to be effective.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: September 06, 2016, 08:04:35 pm »

Here, I'll join the Illuminati for the day. I'll expect my Clinton Foundation check and foreign worker serfs in the mail.

Welcome to the team!  Please watch the training materials.

I gotta say, this "c is for cookie" idea is brilliant.  It sounds like a defense (in the mind of someone who thinks Clinton is an idiot a liar or both) but immediately invites not just one but countless arguments.  At the same time it creates a whole other bullshit scandal with the innuendo about her health.  Whichever spin doctor thought that one up deserves a raise.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: September 06, 2016, 08:56:33 pm »

Wow she didn't know that a single c in a quote pyramid meant classified even though that is just one of three markings that are required to mean classified. When do we string her up?
Reasonably, I'd expect that with sufficient internal dedication to the higher ideals of the concept, as well as strictly practical matters, there's some chance it would be stably positive. Our hypothetical MSF is never getting to be big enough to go toe to toe with a major power, because they always lack the kind of base of support that'd allow it. No native population or industry to fall back on makes taking over the world difficult. A fancy island as a base of operations would actually be perfect for this, big enough to allow the MSF organizational room, not enough to let them conquer the world more than our scope of knocking over especially questionable conduct from other militaries.
The big issue I see with this is not the risk of turning into roving marauders (accounting for that kind of thing is a known science), but that it's a reversal of the whole relationship of militaries with states. An organization capable of projecting force is inherently a giant resource black hole, entire societies are needed to support them. The trade-off is, of course, avoiding death.

PMCs obviously can function, but there's a good deal of emphasis on the "company" part and piggybacking on the logistics of state militaries. Going full Outer Heaven and protecting the weak from the strong comes with the territory of both the weak not having a lot to give in return and becoming a headache for nations with drone strikes and not a lot of restraint.

It's definitely a big resource drain, but the world subsidizing one independent division running around on its own isn't very much compared to all the money everyone spends on their national militaries, and a drop in the bucket compared to our old Cold War excesses.

Paying for parts and expendables would be a continuous headache for our Outer Heaven. While the nationalist in me cries at the thought, possibly earmarking their budget through the UN.

Or heck, maybe just give Outer Heaven enough nuclear capability or force projection (maybe via a kinetic orbital bombardment system? To extort their budget from the world. (this is a terrible idea. Please do not utilize seriously)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: September 07, 2016, 05:21:41 am »

So basically what you're saying is we need to build a mobile weapon system capable of potentially launching and/or defending against a WMD strike anywhere in the world, huh...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically Insane
« Reply #3714 on: September 07, 2016, 06:56:53 am »

.....The thread title is a thing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: September 07, 2016, 07:04:19 am »

Acting like outer haven is insane.  ::)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: September 07, 2016, 07:10:25 am »

Hey, nobody ever claimed that insane people only ever come up with insane ideas...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: September 07, 2016, 07:38:22 am »

I daresay that most insanity happening around the world is acted out by those proclaimed sane.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: September 07, 2016, 07:44:04 am »

As they say, people outside asylums are dangerous: They're the ones who are good enough to fool psychiatrists.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: September 07, 2016, 09:29:57 am »

Getting the thread back on the blood-soaked rails that are the 2016 campaign season....

Polls are starting to tighten, which is pushing some "blue lean" states back into the toss-up category. Clinton is no longer considered a safeish bet to win 270+ without the tossups, as she was a few weeks ago.

Right now, RCP's electoral map has Clinton with 229 likely electoral votes, Trump with 154, and 155 up for grabs, although a lot of the toss-up states do show a slight Clinton lean in the polls.

Noted warlock Nate Silver now has Clinton as basically a 2-1 favorite over Trump, a far cry from her 9-1 advantage a few weeks ago.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 1249