Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389642 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3510 on: August 30, 2016, 04:47:12 pm »

I feel comfortable invoking the 8th here.

I wasn't saying it should be done, just that it does work, and trying to say otherwise is pretty stupid.

In other words: Thank god for the 8th!
I meant regarding the derail.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: August 30, 2016, 05:06:02 pm »

Last Days of Foxhound has a scene that really freaked me out, which is pretty relevant.  http://www.doctorshrugs.com/foxhound/comic.php?id=497
Of course Ocelot is also a sadist, but the really scary part is that doesn't make him wrong...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: August 30, 2016, 05:29:45 pm »

Leverage is easy to get, if you're willing to threaten the livelihood of someone else other than the detainee.

That's coercion.  Leverage is about building a bridge to someone.  Extremists usually are kept in an information bubble by their organizations to keep them extreme.  Just start talking to them and tear down that world view and suddenly they have second thoughts.  That is a lot more leverage then breaking a few bones.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: August 30, 2016, 05:45:53 pm »

Torture needs to be analized contextually, since it goes beyond the scope of just physical pain, and the things that can completely traumatize one person can just be harmless to other people.
Your typo makes that a very foreboding comment.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: August 30, 2016, 05:56:12 pm »

Leverage is easy to get, if you're willing to threaten the livelihood of someone else other than the detainee.

That's coercion.  Leverage is about building a bridge to someone.  Extremists usually are kept in an information bubble by their organizations to keep them extreme.  Just start talking to them and tear down that world view and suddenly they have second thoughts.  That is a lot more leverage then breaking a few bones.
It can also be, frankly, a lot more cruel. Any idiot in the world can threaten people or beat the shit out a restrained person. That's amateur-tier.

People expect physical pain. You can steel yourself against that.

But you know what's really fucked up? Taking someone, almost certainly from some dirt hole in the ground of a society and brainwashed if not, and building a genuine rapport with them to the point that they know you aren't bullshiting them. And then, when they know you're telling them the truth, using something they really care about against them. Like the video's example of a terrorist's family. To not threaten them, but offer to take them out of the aforementioned dirt hole and stick them in a plentiful, safe, Western country with guaranteed protection until the end of time. Your ideals being forced against the people you care about, not because of an external threat, but because of the reality you know they're already in. You know this is for real. And all you have to do to fix it is play ball.

That is how you get a hardened warrior of god to give it all up and help their enemy. I don't care much for religion, but it mostly gets one thing right: It's not fear you have to watch out for, it's temptation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3515 on: August 30, 2016, 06:15:39 pm »

One thing I hate about people who are strongly anti-torture is the statement: "torture doesn't work, people will say anything to stop the pain".

"People will say anything to stop the pain"? Very true, and "anything" includes the truth.

If you have two subjects: Torture them separately until their stories match exactly, start with little weird details that are unconnected to what you want to know (so any prepared story is useless). Any inconsistency results in more pain for both until stories match, continue as needed and slowly work your way to the info you really want. By the time you are asking questions you care about they are too afraid of what will happen if they lie for them to even think about trying. Despicable, but works like a charm. For only one subject you need some other way to confirm what they say, this means that speculative torturing for information does not work well or at all for single subjects, you need at least two.

In order to torture anyone effectively, you need to know what the "correct" answer you're trying to get is ahead of time. Even in your (laughably convenient) hypothetical situation, wherin you have two 100% certainly enemy agents who each have 100% accurate knowledge about things 100% relevant to your goal, whom have had not any opportunity to collaborate beforehand, it is more than plausible that the leading questions you will ask them will give them enough information for them to guess what you want to know.

The Nazis were not known for being reserved. Nor were they notable for great espionage. However, one element of military intelligence they excelled at: interrogating enemy pilots. How? By giving them booze and nature walks.

Torture is not effective, and the myth that it is effective is built on buying one's own propoganda -- that the enemy is cowardly and weak, when in fact they are likely brave (albeit misguided) to face the United States in war and strong enough to survive a battle against her finest. Torture is furthermore not only ineffective (in that it mainly allows one to "confirm" a hunch), but also insidious. It contaminates intelligence organizations that use it, because one or two lucky breaks where a hunch proved correct after being "supported" by torture make it seem credible. Thereafter, other resources are put under pressure to remain accurate while being as fast and cheap as torture. More and more, the agency guesses and tortures, then makes new guesses from that torture-confirmed "intel." The witchhunts are self-perpetuating.

I could copy-paste the wikipedia page on torture, but I'll let you research for yourself. Suffice it to say that torture won the Japanese Empire such war-winning intel as the fact that the USA had 100 additional nuclear bombs and that Tokyo and Kyoto were next (at the time, the USA had expended the two bombs it had and the soldier being tortured had no idea what an atom bomb even was).

But let's put all that aside. Some will say that, if we assume torture is 100% effective, then it should be used if it would save lives. This is a sound argument, but it is not valid, as torture is not 100% effective. In fact, its use makes people less safe, as intelligence agencies agree.

In short, someone arguing for torture as a means of gathering intelligence is very much like someone advocating rape as a contraceptive; a perfect trifecta of ineffectiveness, logical invalidity, and breathtaking moral failure.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:10:54 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: August 30, 2016, 06:31:35 pm »

Probably the most useful information torture ever produced if you look at Japan's situation.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: August 30, 2016, 08:05:54 pm »

Shares in CCA (Corrections Corporation of America, one of the major private jail companies) have fallen to ~$16.50 as of today; they were trading at $27 prior to the DoJ announcement.

It's true that individual state action is required to strangle their revenue, but a sustained lack of market confidence in their long-term viability could still help quite a bit on the road to that goal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: August 30, 2016, 08:24:31 pm »

Probably the most useful information torture ever produced if you look at Japan's situation.
Perhaps instead of torturing, we should write a computer program that creates random and false intel. It would be more effective, after all.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: August 30, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »

If we teach the computer to be pain the process is basically unlimited.  You could commit millions of warcrimes a second!

In slightly more recent news crimes:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:46:33 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: August 30, 2016, 09:00:48 pm »

Meh....Rubio and McCain survived their primary too. Not that surprising that incumbents win.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: August 30, 2016, 09:21:02 pm »

The Nazis were not known for being reserved. Nor were they notable for great espionage. However, one element of military intelligence they excelled at: interrogating enemy pilots. How? By giving them booze and nature walks.
I wish the Nazis used that on my grandfather instead of whatever the fuck they did to him that gave him seven primary cancers later in life.
Meh....Rubio and McCain survived their primary too. Not that surprising that incumbents win.
Quite true. It's what gives events like Eric Cantor such special resonance.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:43 pm »

I wish the Nazis used that on my grandfather instead of whatever the fuck they did to him that gave him seven primary cancers later in life.

That could just as easily have been his own side. US military in particular didn't (and still doesn't) shy away from exposing people to dangerous environments.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: August 30, 2016, 09:58:02 pm »

Perhaps instead of torturing, we should write a computer program that creates random and false intel. It would be more effective, after all.
That is entirely dependent on the skill of the psychological torturers.

I'm certain that if we got some cult leader-type folks to sign up...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:50 pm »

Then instead of random data, we'd get random data from a subset of religious topics.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 1249