Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391983 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3120 on: August 25, 2016, 11:20:39 am »

The republicans who are pissed off are the republicans who reliably pull the lever every election.  The democrats who are pissed off are the democrats who weren't too good at showing up in the past (younger, male and/or "independents").  I'm speaking in sweeping generalizations here of course.  But even minding that caveat, Johnson does have a demographic to target, well informed voters with conservative policy preferences.  Given how poorly Trump is polling among college educated white voters (who normally are strongly republican but this year are perhaps evenly split) it's clear that dissatisfaction can translate into votes.  The demographic of white college educated voters shows up at the voting both reliably.  So far the strategy of Trump seems to be to keep alienating the wealthier establishment republicans to juice up more passion among his fans.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3121 on: August 25, 2016, 12:13:45 pm »

Trump just defected to Russia.

Well, figuratively speaking. He's come out in support for amnesty and a path to citizenship for the 'good ones.' You know, the mexicans that aren't, in Trump's words, rapists. Putting aside the fact that that issue was a major part of his appeal to his base, there's the fact that, if anything, the larger appeal -- that he's an uncompromising idealist unconcerned with what's politically correct -- has been equally sunk by him flip-flopping on a core issue.

So yeah, waiting for the Hillary leak where she reveals how many baby souls it takes to maintain her rough approximation of human flesh.

Johnson/Stein '16! How the hell did we even end up at 15%? is not the best slogan, but hey.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: August 25, 2016, 12:16:22 pm »

So yeah, waiting for the Hillary leak where she reveals how many baby souls it takes to maintain her rough approximation of human flesh.

This is a perfectly reasonable way to react to this news.  ::)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: August 25, 2016, 12:23:44 pm »

Huh.  My reading was he was talking about her being some sort of supernatural creature to have this much luck.

Trump probably just wrecked his entire base of support in a single move.

I dont think this will move the polls too much.  But I dont think anything will move the polls too much so maybe I'm just a stopped clock.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: August 25, 2016, 12:32:56 pm »

Huh.  My reading was he was talking about her being some sort of supernatural creature to have this much luck.

You may be getting to used to being on the defensive about Hillary. The comment struck me as similar to when I said the only way to make NI want to leave the UK would be if the Queen started feasting on their young.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3125 on: August 25, 2016, 01:01:17 pm »

You may be getting to used to being on the defensive about Hillary. The comment struck me as similar to when I said the only way to make NI want to leave the UK would be if the Queen started feasting on their young.

Granted, that would explain a lot.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: August 25, 2016, 01:14:02 pm »

Meh, it's a slow-motion reversal (he's been saying something like this for about a week now) and given all the cognitive gymnastics that his supporters have pulled off so far, I don't know that they'll have a problem here.

It'll be some variety of:

1. "What? We've never been heartless about it...this is just good, common sense. You can't expect them all to disappear the day he takes office."
2. "Oh, he's just saying that cause he has to. We know deep down he's gonna kick Pedro all the way back to Tijuana as soon as we get 'er done."
3. (HEAD ASPLODE) -- This one may be more likely among the Stormfront crowd.
4. LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU LIBERAL MEDIA LIES TRUMP IS LOVE TRUMP IS LIFE

Took a peek into the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is Breitbart News, and they did have a piece on it, buried way down the page in a small sidebar. Still didn't keep it from having nearly 3K comments, and it's a total shitstorm. The schadenfreude is so moist and delicious.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: August 25, 2016, 01:31:14 pm »

You may be getting to used to being on the defensive about Hillary.

I just assumed that the comment was typical of the way this forum treats her?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:30 pm »

I just assumed that the comment was typical of the way this forum treats any number of public political figures, including Vladimir Putin, Angela Merkel, Boris Johnson, David Cameron, Nigel Farage, and even Donald Trump?
ftfy

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: August 25, 2016, 01:51:53 pm »

Talking of Farage, much has been said about Farage suporting Trump, but I quite liked this one, in particular.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/at-last-nigel-farage-has-emerged-to-defend-the-ordinary-billionaires-of-the-world-like-donald-trump-a7209926.html

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: August 25, 2016, 01:55:29 pm »

I just assumed that the comment was typical of the way this forum treats any number of public political figures, including Vladimir Putin, Angela Merkel, Boris Johnson, David Cameron, Nigel Farage, and even Donald Trump?
ftfy
But RedKing, all those people are actually worthy of harsh criticism and ridicule, unlike and indeed in stark contrast to [preferred political candidate]! Don't you see?

Granted, I do in fact believe something like that, but cognitive biases aren't something you escape from simply by knowing that exist. A lot easier to see harsh criticism or attacks on your candidate than someone else's, simply because it's more relevant to you.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: August 25, 2016, 02:42:29 pm »

Trump, deep cover LCS sleeper confirmed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: August 25, 2016, 02:43:55 pm »

ftfy

So you treat her as a man who literally invaded three countries including one invasion that broke a landmark nuclear proliferation treaty, a pair of men who are ignomious failures due to the brexit and Donald Trump.

Oh wait, I missed Angela Merkel there.  Right, so five horrible men, Angela Merkel and Hillary Clinton.  Fuck man, I hate Merkel as much as anyone (more even) but really...?

But RedKing, all those people are actually worthy of harsh criticism and ridicule, unlike and indeed in stark contrast to [preferred political candidate]! Don't you see?

Granted, I do in fact believe something like that, but cognitive biases aren't something you escape from simply by knowing that exist. A lot easier to see harsh criticism or attacks on your candidate than someone else's, simply because it's more relevant to you.

When people call Cameron a failure they are referring to a tangible outcome with clear results, the Brexit.  When they talk about Trump they are referring to the real policies he advocates.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:46:33 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: August 25, 2016, 02:46:47 pm »

Stop acting like someone is kicking your dog, there are people who don't like Hillary, get over it.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: August 25, 2016, 02:52:41 pm »

Stop acting like someone is kicking your dog, there are people who don't like Hillary, get over it.

Drop the ridiculous hypocrisy and say the same thing to Redking?

It's not exactly brave of you to pass judgement on people you disagree with, dude.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 1249