Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391765 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2925 on: August 15, 2016, 01:51:37 pm »

I find that definition rather questionable, playergamer, because while that's what populist movement leaders tend to say, there is not one unified view of the non-elite that is totally opposed by the elite, not even close. Non-rich people are very much split on what they believe... and believe it or not, so are the elites, as they're referred to.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: August 15, 2016, 01:57:28 pm »

I wonder what changed Trump's mind on NATO, because he seems to have done a complete turnaround on his whole stance as far as allies go.

He's also saying the same stuff that Obama has said actually.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: August 15, 2016, 01:59:10 pm »

Gun control advocates say the government will protect you, but that's just a bald-faced lie. When the government just stands down and lets rioters rule the streets, it's a good idea to have a gun around.
Sounds like you're more of an anarchist than a populist
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: August 15, 2016, 02:02:29 pm »

bumping the troll off the first thread list

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »

Okay, so, let's talk about vetting processes.

We can agree that somebody who wants to come to the United States should not be a terrorist, criminal, and actually have proof that they're the person they claim to be?

Alright, that's a lot of paperwork. Birth certificate, criminal records, aliases. And, big one: list of terrorist organization members. Where d'you think the US government can find that information in the war-torn Middle-East. And do you think they can round that up in a few months, for thousands and thousands of "refugees"?

For the Syrian refugees, it would be pretty damn simple to relocate Syrians in the Gulf States.
They can take millions of refugees. They have similiar cultures, and values. Europe can not, because it does not. It makes no sense to call someone who crossed the Atlantic on a plane from a safe country a refugee
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: August 15, 2016, 02:15:34 pm »

I don't get why all you people use populist as a pejorative.

Because inherent in populism is anger at the eggheads who make sure the bridges dont fall down and the sewage plant doesn't dump shit in your drinking water.

So that's how Putin paid Trump.

Strikes me as more incompetence then malice on the part of Trump.

Well, the wiki article is somewhat ambigous about it as it says that populism helped fuel the Revolutionary War, and populism has been behind many revolutions.

The revolutionary war was literally lead by unapologetic elitists who were well versed in the works of the classics and contemporary elites.  Madison, Jefferson and Hamilton were elected to high public office and two of them became president.  The Federalist papers were intended for a general audience.  That would be like if Lawrence Lessig and Jonathan Gruber were household names who people knew as much about as Donald Trump.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean the elites cant embrace it.

They can take millions of refugees.

Sure they wont starve (mostly) but you are talking about burdening countries that are already really shitty at providing for the welfare of their citizens.  Whereas if they come here they would make us richer and be much better off themselves.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:17:54 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: August 15, 2016, 02:19:50 pm »

Alright, so I'm seeing a need to put refugees somewhere and a desire to buddy up with the Soviets. This is definitely a 1% joke, but CoDominion when?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: August 15, 2016, 02:22:23 pm »

Take a look at historical American populist movements. That cross of gold speech guy, for instance.

Almost any -ist can be used as a pejorative. It helps imply mindless doctrine. The other term for technocrat is elitist.

Sidenote: a surprising number of bridges in America are in fact at risk of falling into their rivers.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:41 pm »

Take a look at historical American populist movements. That cross of gold speech guy, for instance.

Almost any -ist can be used as a pejorative. It helps imply mindless doctrine. The other term for technocrat is elitist.

Sidenote: a surprising number of bridges in America are in fact at risk of falling into their rivers.

It has always stumped me that the ancient Romans could build bridges that still stand strong in present day, yet our modern society builds bridges that need replacing every half century.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: August 15, 2016, 02:36:59 pm »

It has always stumped me that the ancient Romans could build bridges that still stand strong in present day, yet our modern society builds bridges that need replacing every half century.

Because there are a number of desirable characteristics in engineering and you face tradeoffs.  For instance you might want to make a bridge that goes for 10 kilometers and can allow three tractor trailers to travel abreast but doesn't bankrupt you. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge)  That's pretty hard to do using stone.  Stone does do a decent job in the whole "sitting there for centuries" department.  Steel on the other hand does a pretty good job in the 10 kilometer span and massive weight without bankrupting the government department.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:36 pm »

Not regularly running bouncing multi-ton hunks of metal over 'em at high speed helps a fair bit, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:50 pm »

I wonder what changed Trump's mind on NATO, because he seems to have done a complete turnaround on his whole stance as far as allies go.

He's also saying the same stuff that Obama has said actually.
This sort of inconsistency is par for the course for him, no? And if memory serves, he's inadvertently echoed Obama before, perhaps the most prominent example being his whole "Let's be friends with Russia"-shtick.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: August 15, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »

Not regularly running bouncing multi-ton hunks of metal over 'em at high speed helps a fair bit, too.

Yeah a lot of roman bridges would collapse in a decade if we used them for the kind of traffic a modern bridge gets.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: August 15, 2016, 02:40:53 pm »

And a large reason why the bridges are crumbling is because we aren't maintaining them properly. Plus, unlike stone, iron rusts.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: August 15, 2016, 02:42:25 pm »

But those Autobahn bridges are built to last. More proof that, with all their promoting of infrastructure improvements, both parties are promoting Nazis.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 1249