Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390581 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2730 on: August 13, 2016, 06:38:57 am »

I have started to see people suggesting that Zika is a global conspiracy to reduce the population by inhibiting births.

Which is dumb. If you were going to reduce the global population with a bioweapon you would want it to cause sterility, not birth defects.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2731 on: August 13, 2016, 06:42:12 am »

That's what they want you to think
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 13, 2016, 07:03:11 am »

Trump made zika. He intended it for Mexico. But because he doesn't know exactly where Mexico is, it ended up in Brasil and Puerto Rico.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 13, 2016, 07:06:52 am »

If Obama and the NWO are in favor of Zika to depopulate the country, I wonder how that fits in with their whole pro-immigration / anchor baby thing ... while anti-immigration types are never ever accused of wanting depopulation, when in fact their policies guarantee that it would happen.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: August 13, 2016, 07:07:39 am »

... it's about two thousand in the last week, not over ten. It's been 10.6k since december. Ruddy clickbait posts :-\

Still bit concerning, but yeah. Does suggest the infection rate's increasing, but on the other hand we're basically in the peak mosquito months, and PR's one of the few places in the country about as well suited to mosquito breeding as florida. If it maintains that rate in, say, december, or manages it on the actual continent, then you'll see me somewhat worried.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 13, 2016, 07:10:57 am »

meh my newspaper said there's currently 10600 cases. Zika symptoms only lasts about a week, so I thought it to be from at most a week.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: August 13, 2016, 07:14:07 am »

The Zika conspiracy theory with the most legs is the one that mosquito control programs caused it - e.g. Brazil released male mosquitoes (males don't bite humans) with a particular gene turned off, so that they'd mate with females who'd lay eggs that died.

While it's certainly plausible that pest-control measures can backfire, this one falls apart when you look at the details. The control area was 1000 miles away from where problems occured, and 3 years earlier. This type of mosquito are very short-lived and don't travel far. Basically the only gene they changed in the GM mosquitoes was to remove a needed gene that makes an important protein: they kept the lab moquitoes alive by adding that protein to their food, but once out of the lab they're nothing but a weak mosquito that dies in a few days. Also, other countries have used these mosquitoes before to reduce population numbers, without any problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:22:51 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2737 on: August 13, 2016, 07:24:12 am »

while anti-immigration types are never ever accused of wanting depopulation, when in fact their policies guarantee that it would happen.
There's a fair bit of overlap between anti-immigration types and abstinence-only sex ed types, so maybe they're not entirely stupid
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2738 on: August 13, 2016, 07:43:04 am »

Can you even die due to Zika? As in, direct cause? :V
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: August 13, 2016, 07:56:28 am »

Can is a rough qualifier when it comes to medical conditions, heh. There's apparently been no fatalities associated with the disease to date, though, no. The immediate effect is basically just a mild fever -- part of the reason it's spreading as well as it is, is because you can easily move around and do stuff while suffering from it. Not something you really need a doctor's visit to recover from, generally. If it wasn't for the birth defect thing (which I'm like half sure is still less of an issue than with, say, alcohol), the thing would probably be a more or less non-issue.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:58:25 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 13, 2016, 07:57:07 am »

Pregnant women should be lining up to get Zika, according to this 30 second video. It's relevant because Trump's VP pick Mike Pence is a tobacco industry lobbyist, who denies tobacco science going back to the 1960s (before that video was made). Pence might scare me more than Trump to be honest.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:02:44 am by Reelya »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: August 13, 2016, 08:43:06 am »

Insect control via radioactive sterilization is actually a very usable method of pest control. If someone wanted to spend a billion dollars per mosquito species, wiping them out in the United States is completely reasonable.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 13, 2016, 08:49:08 am »

I wonder if mosquitoes still have reduced populations from the DDT era. It's always seemed odd to me how comparatively few of them I would see around in climates that, in other parts of the world with similar climate, have thick swarms everywhere.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 13, 2016, 08:59:18 am »

After the Pennsylvania comment, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Trump is intent on blood in the streets when he loses. Hell, maybe even before he loses. And/or get his people engaging in some serious voter intimidation on polling day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 13, 2016, 09:04:31 am »

After the Pennsylvania comment, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Trump is intent on blood in the streets when he loses. Hell, maybe even before he loses. And/or get his people engaging in some serious voter intimidation on polling day.

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. Sure, theres always an incident or two on election day, but things have never been violent in the modern era AFAIK.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1249