Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392121 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2535 on: August 10, 2016, 08:31:13 am »

This article was a really good read about trying to understand the perspective of people with different political viewpoints:
https://medium.com/@emmalindsay/trump-supporters-aren-t-stupid-3d38f70f2a2f#.fw8ij84hb

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 10, 2016, 09:11:05 am »

tl;dr: If looking to exploit the white blue collar electorate, promise them dignity. Say it loud and long enough and nothing else will matter, including the parts that would take an ice pick to their dignity's knees.

Weird thing to me in that is that it seems to ignore that the drive for this vaguely described dignity is basically just as strong in liberal voters, they just have a different idea of what allows them to live with it. Stuff like living in a country that doesn't shit on the poor and disadvantaged, not being bigoted shitheels, having a government that acts with maturity and competence, etc., etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 10, 2016, 09:15:15 am »

Nah, most liberal voters replace dignity with hypocritical self-righteousness. See: latte sipping assponces who spend all day talking about how they hate white people and Americans, when they themselves are both white and American.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:07 am »

Can trust MSH on this. The example knows its kin well.

Though i'unno about the insult thing. No one in this country seems to ascribe to that, so apparently no one in politics thinks that's a good idea.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:27:10 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 10, 2016, 09:45:51 am »

I think the article deftly touches upon points that I myself would have issues articulating. This is a complicated issue that warrants further discussion, because if you would like Trump to lose, how do you convince his supporters to reconsider?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:12 am »

You don't. You just get the rest of the country to vote.

E: To clarify a bit, you may want to get them to reconsider for other reasons. So far as the presidency goes, though, you just have to get all the people that don't particularly like the guy to not vote for him. That's around a plurality in the party he's running for, never mind everyone else.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:00:08 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 10, 2016, 10:31:46 am »

POLITICO has published a look at the 100 days since Trump became the likely Republican Nominee. It's extremely interesting, taking stock of the campaign with a day-by-day look at what Trump has actually done from day to day in his campaign (who he interviewed with, what speeches he gave, what his tweets where, etc), and the trajectory of his campaign in the last 100 days. The thing I found particularly interesting is seeing things like oppurtunities Trump had to attack Clinton that he ignored, and illustrating some of the issues and contradictions with the Republican campaign. It's really good, and defintely worth a read in my opinion if you are curious about the Trump candidacy. Link here.

It's long though. Read when you have a bit of freetime.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:54:24 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 10, 2016, 10:41:54 am »

I think the article deftly touches upon points that I myself would have issues articulating. This is a complicated issue that warrants further discussion, because if you would like Trump to lose, how do you convince his supporters to reconsider?

You've had over the past year, at some points better than 90% of the established parties trying to figure out that exact thing. With little or no success despite staffs of hundreds or even thousands. Despite deep pockets and powerful networks of friends. The only recourse to convince someone is enturely personal. Go to each person. Figure out if they have any weaknesses in their support, and give them a better option. There is no magic antibiotic or silver bullet that fits everyone. If there was the parties have already used them up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 10, 2016, 01:03:37 pm »

I think Trump's 2nd amendment comments are a good example of why he shouldn't be president. Whether or not you think it was an actual threat, the fact no one is crystal clear on what he said is the kind of mixed message you don't want the person behind the podium giving.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 10, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »

Saw a comment earlier that pointed out that when something like this occurs, his supporters all rush to say "That's not what he meant, he just stated it awkwardly".
These are the same people who claim to love Trump because "he says what he means".

So yeah....to me, this is the lowest common denominator election. Actually, it's below the lowest common denominator, because I think at this point if someone still supports Trump, they don't have enough common values with me for me to recognize them as "countrymen".

So fuck all this bullshit about "be nice to them/don't insult them/more flies with honey than vinegar". That's a stupid saying anyways -- you don't catch flies, you SWAT THEM.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 10, 2016, 01:29:01 pm »

Saw a comment earlier that pointed out that when something like this occurs, his supporters all rush to say "That's not what he meant, he just stated it awkwardly".
These are the same people who claim to love Trump because "he says what he means".

So yeah....to me, this is the lowest common denominator election. Actually, it's below the lowest common denominator, because I think at this point if someone still supports Trump, they don't have enough common values with me for me to recognize them as "countrymen".

So fuck all this bullshit about "be nice to them/don't insult them/more flies with honey than vinegar". That's a stupid saying anyways -- you don't catch flies, you SWAT THEM.

Funny because you actually catch more flies with vinegar. You actually get people to pay attention more by making them mad. They may not respond with logic, but you'll definitely get more of a response to a punch in the face than you will by a polite offer of a pamphlet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 10, 2016, 01:37:40 pm »

No true Murrican.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 10, 2016, 02:30:20 pm »

Hoo boy.
Actually, it's below the lowest common denominator, because I think at this point if someone still supports Trump, they don't have enough common values with me for me to recognize them as "countrymen".
Thaaaat's a mildly terrifying viewpoint. The 'SWAT THEM' thing even more so.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 10, 2016, 02:32:49 pm »

Actually, it's below the lowest common denominator, because I think at this point if someone still supports Trump, they don't have enough common values with me for me to recognize them as "countrymen".
Here ya go.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 10, 2016, 03:04:49 pm »

Hoo boy.
Actually, it's below the lowest common denominator, because I think at this point if someone still supports Donald "I'm more honest and my women are more beautiful" Trump, they don't have enough common values with me for me to recognize them as "countrymen".
Thaaaat's a mildly terrifying viewpoint. The 'SWAT THEM' thing even more so.

Is it? It seems much the same as considering groups like the KKK or Neo-Nazis as being worthy of contempt to me, even if the individuals are generally possessed of less odious viewpoints than such groups are.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 1249