Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392421 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2490 on: August 09, 2016, 08:54:57 pm »

Missed it, maybe? It does happen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 09, 2016, 08:55:03 pm »

Do US states not require people to register for voting with their name and address?
Yup, it's the bare minimum over here. You register to vote with your name and address, show up at the polls, they ask for your name and address and check you off the list. Two people trying to use the same name/address get flagged and investigated. It would be theoretically fairly simple to come back in later with someone else's info to get a second vote, but to recreate that at any scale that would threaten an election would require collusion among dozens if not hundreds of people. Any fraud plan with that many moving parts just wouldn't be worth it. You're better off trying to hack ballot machines or bribing officials to falsify vote counts, really.  That's my personal reasoning for why ID laws don't pass the smell test: they're trying to guard against what is far and away the least efficient hypothetical form of voter fraud.

...  What part of "require an official state ID" could be tailored to target Natives and Latinos, much less Blacks.
No, the courts did NOT say that it targets minorities.  It says that they're disproportionately affected.
C'mon Rolan7, you need to start reading some of the links we post:

In
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, in its decision last week, held that the North Carolina state legislature acted to entrench itself and “it did so by targeting voters who, based on race, were unlikely to vote for the majority party. Even if done for partisan ends, that constituted racial discrimination.”
North Carolina, the legislature requested racial data on the use of electoral mechanisms, then restricted all those disproportionately used by blacks, such as early voting, same-day registration and out-of-precinct voting. Absentee ballots, disproportionately used by white voters, were exempted from the voter ID requirement.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 09, 2016, 08:57:31 pm »

It's the fucking crux.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 09, 2016, 09:03:23 pm »

Ah, okay.  The example I looked up said disproportionately affected, but I think that was Texas...
My bad, then.  I can't say I agree with the ruling, but the court's opinion means a lot more than mine :P

Sorry for the argument all, I think it stayed pretty civil though (:  Thanks for digging that link back up.

It's the fucking crux.
It was posted pretty late in the discussion, and I didn't realize it would specifically say that minorities were targeted :P
From my perspective, the crux of the discussion was people conflating the targeting of minorities with the targeting of the poor.

Still, I did miss it!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 09, 2016, 09:06:04 pm »

Literally the first post of the discussion.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:00 pm »

In case you didn't notice, that second map is zoomed out significantly compared to the first one. Wonder who is hurt more by having to drive completely across town to obtain valid id for voting? Certainly it isn't a problem for folks who already have a valid driver's license and vehicle, so who does that leave?
What is this, the 19th century?  Is it such an epic hurdle to catch a ride or take a bus?  Minorities are allowed on buses, trust me, and not everyone pays.  I paid $2.50 to travel between Raleigh and Durham in high school, this is in-city.
In fact, my daily bicycle ride to my last high school was longer than the distance between those stations, so cry me a fricken river!

Maybe that person who carpools to multiple jobs so they have no time, has no bike or car of their own, no one in their local community willing to drive them (church especially), and is incapable of walking a couple of hours, might need to call the local young Democrats and ask for a freakin lift.
Just from my location I'd have to go two or more miles to the nearest bus station, minimum, catch a bus, make at least four transfers, and catch one of the two runs around the loop that gets within half a mile of the closest dmv while it is open, about 8 miles away, actually about 12~15 miles with good luck.

Now, since I would prefer to not have to go another two miles to the next nearest bus stop I'd have to catch the early loop, get to the dmv, get everything taken care of there, and make it back within 2 hours for the next run, or wait another 2 hours for the one after that, go another 12~15 miles back on the buses, and hoof it back home.

Bonus if you're a woman, cause let's be frank: that isn't a good part of town, I mean, the joke goes "what's the bad part of Memphis called?" 'Memphis!' but the airport area isn't somewhere that I, as a healthy young man, would just go wandering around alone on a lark.

That isn't really the point though, nor is the ethnicity of the Memphis and Raleigh-Durham areas.

The point is: there is no good reason to disallow the library photo ID in favor of the dmv issued ones alone.

I could go get a library photo ID easily, I would have to plan my whole day around trying to get a tn photo ID.

I could stay in my neighborhood to get one, or go to one of several other nearby areas to reach a library, I would have to decide between heading towards a dangerous part of town all day, or trying to plot out a route to one of the other three further away dmv offices to get the other.

Memphis specifically spent $60k on rolling out the library photo ID system to help poor and minority voters, fought in court when it was told it couldn't keep using them, and is still fighting to reinstate their use.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 09, 2016, 09:11:21 pm »

We need more mail voting.

This is all a wonderful example of the misdirection issue in politics.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:19:11 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 09, 2016, 09:19:45 pm »

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 09, 2016, 09:23:43 pm »

man trump supporters are inciting so much violence, aren't they?
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 09, 2016, 09:25:31 pm »

Well as we all know Trump is literally Hitler, which makes his supporters literally the NSDAP.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:00 pm »

Man assaulted with crowbar for wearing Trump t-shirt: http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/08/man_attacked_by_stranger_who_questioned_his_trump.html#incart_river_home
What the actual fuck

STOP IT

STOP BEING SHITTY PEOPLE, AMERICA

THAT MEANS ALL OF YOU GODDAMNIT AARASIJFO"IEMFAESMO"JMEfsa
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 09, 2016, 09:34:18 pm »

ON DAB SCITCAT
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 09, 2016, 09:46:22 pm »

Crap, it happened again, hang on folks, lemme reboot the MSH, it'll just be a second.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 09, 2016, 10:57:41 pm »

Man assaulted with crowbar for wearing Trump t-shirt: http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/08/man_attacked_by_stranger_who_questioned_his_trump.html#incart_river_home

The RNC buttons in that article's slideshow are a scream. It's one thing I agree on with my republican family members, they seem to have a better sense of humor than most democrats.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 09, 2016, 11:14:13 pm »

-snipped for America-
Trump's hair is like the top of that weird Trump building I can see from my window. It's huge, a blight on the eyes, completely unnecessary, and glows orange at night for reasons I don't understand.

man trump supporters are inciting so much violence, aren't they?
Nah, Trump does that himself, he wouldn't delegate that to others. Liberals though, believe in grassroots violence that no one asked for, a proud tradition that stretches back to the abruptly-ended presidency of William McKinley.

The only thing this article should really indicate to the rest of you that New Jersey is a lost cause and should be cleansed with fire. Nothing of value would be lost (hell it might even smell better), and we could start the process of rebuilding. Maybe preserve Hoboken if you're feeling generous,

And before I get attacked, I'm from New York, so it is my patriotic duty to make fun of New Jersey wherever possible.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1249