Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394966 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2145 on: August 03, 2016, 11:36:46 pm »

Truly?  I think a deadlock actually requires fewer assumptions than a Johnson presidency because of the following: for it to hold, you need the same conditions as yours to force a House vote (Neither Clinton nor Trump receive an absolute majority of electoral votes; Johnson receives at least one electoral vote), but you do not actually need the House Republicans to go en masse to Johnson, and a Democrat wave is the one thing that would make both of these absolutely impossible (because, as you say, Hillary wins).  You only need enough Republicans to break ranks to deny Trump an absolute majority; if no one receives those 26 votes from the state delegations, the House decision cannot be made, and the balloting continues until someone does.  It's already tremendously unlikely, but I think the notion that the House Republicans will maintain party unity internally while simultaneously breaking with the Republican Presidential candidate is actually less likely than the notion that some House Republicans will back Trump while some will back Johnson in an acrimonious three-way break.  So, in other words, with the caveat that we're both discussing very unlikely events, what you argue that it is more probable that at least 26 of those 32 states will break ranks.  What I argue is that it's more likely that 7 might break ranks than 26. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:44:41 pm by Culise »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 04, 2016, 12:13:02 am »

It isn't *that* crazy and outlandish.

If Clinton crumbles in debates and looks like a complete crook while Trump keeps saying stupid nonsense, it could be that Trump wins Pennsylvania and Ohio but loses Utah (and maybe some other states like Idaho or Montana in an extreme case) to Johnson. That map wouldn't be particularly strange looking.

Still really unlikely though.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2147 on: August 04, 2016, 12:48:16 am »

I am looking forward to the debates, I have every confidence that Hillary is going to crush trump like an overripe orange, complete with wispy mold.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 04, 2016, 12:50:55 am »

No, no, Clinton won't crush Trump.

Trump will crush Trump by saying something incredibly dumb before that could happen.

He has already demonstrated an incredibly high level of proficiency at shooting himself in the foot every time he speaks, let's not underestimate him.
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 04, 2016, 12:57:29 am »

Soooo Clinton just gets to watch Trump implode?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 04, 2016, 01:02:49 am »

Soooo Clinton just gets to watch Trump implode?
THe problem is that the singularity could take her with him

I hope her podium is securely fastened.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2151 on: August 04, 2016, 01:16:50 am »

I always found it weird that you guys need to organise debates for your politicians. Shouldn't they be debating anyway?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 04, 2016, 01:25:35 am »

I always found it weird that you guys need to organise debates for your politicians. Shouldn't they be debating anyway?

No, see, we don't have very good turnout rate, so the best way to win is to increase turnout for your voters. The best way to do that is to vilify your opponents and hype up your side, rather than any actual meaningful debate or exploration of issues in a debate. That could reveal whether a position is supported by anything whatsoever, after all!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 04, 2016, 03:25:34 am »

Trump: ‘I don’t know why we’re not leading by a lot’

“I hear we’re leading Florida by a bit,” he said. “I don’t know why we’re not leading by a lot. Maybe crowds don’t make the difference.”

A Fox News national poll published Tuesday showed Trump trailing Clinton by 10 percentage points, 49 percent to 39 percent -- though he fares somewhat better in state polls.
1) No shit, Trump.
2) 10 percentage point Democrat lead? In a Fox News poll? What is this I don't even
._.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2154 on: August 04, 2016, 03:45:48 am »

Trump is like the logic antiparticle
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 04, 2016, 03:58:11 am »

Trump is like the logic antiparticle
He will make Gundam great again
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 04, 2016, 04:25:06 am »

The Republican Party has an emergency plan on how to deal with Trump suddenly quitting the race for president.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senior-gop-officials-exploring-options-trump-drops/story?id=41089609

It's all according to plan. Trump will drop out of the elections one week before election day. Republicans will immediatly elect a new candidate, who will enter the presidential race without the opponents having any time left to throw mud or dig up closet skeletons. Republican candidate will be elected president with slogan "I'm not Trump and I'm not Hillary".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:29:29 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 04, 2016, 04:47:16 am »

"One week before election day" is too late, there's a hard cut-off about two-three weeks before the election because USA government has to send ballots to overseas territories by that time.
._.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2158 on: August 04, 2016, 05:00:41 am »

That takes three weeks? Goddamn snail mail.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: August 04, 2016, 05:20:12 am »

You guys have that "write your own name on the ballot" thing, or something, right?  Whether or not Trump bows out in time, GOP leadership just has to say "we'd like you to write <Cruz/Jeb/whoever> on your ballots, please, to save the Republican Party" and push the problem onto the ballot-counters who have to try to decypher hundreds of different scrawled spellings of "Jeb" or thousands of "Cruz"s...

/sitting on the sideline, showing his own ignorance, and what happens with chads or touchscreen voting machines?
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 1249