Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395433 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2010 on: August 01, 2016, 11:52:43 pm »

I can see the precise arguments I am going to use when I get back to my Elite Liberal campus in the fall. Someone already told me they were going to vote for Stein; before I hadn't really thought much of it, but now I see myself saying "so, tell me, do you support her stance on Vaccines? And wifi?" and waiting for comprehension to dawn.
Yes, you got me. After months and months of being anti-Clinton, they finally broke me down by playing guitar at me LCS-style. I'm an anti-Green Hillbot now.  ::)
"'I must fight the hillary!' RedKing said
'No' said the radio. 'You are the hillary'
And then RedKing was a Clinton shill."

Dude, she didn't say "we should study this more", she said:
Person from crowd: What about the wireless?

Jill Stein: We should not be subjecting kids’ brains especially to that. And we don’t follow that issue in this country, but in Europe where they do, they have good precautions around wireless—maybe not good enough, because it’s very hard to study this stuff. We make guinea pigs out of whole populations and then we discover how many die. And this is like the paradigm for how public health works in this country and it’s outrageous, you know.

In just the last hour or so I've delved into the anti-WiFi community on the Net, and it's extremely similar in mentality to the anti-vaxxer crowd: any studies which claim no harm are "industry propaganda" while any studies which claim harm (no matter how flawed or criticized or debunked) are "scientific proof". And if you think that the potential risk, if any, is outweighed by the utility of WiFi in an educational setting, then you hate children and are a greedy, corporate denialist.

There's also a strong strain of neo-Ludditeism intertwined with it, wherein a number of people are arguing that children shouldn't be using computers AT ALL in school. Which is what Stein was discussing and agreeing with just prior to the question and response about WiFi. Sorry, but we don't have a bright future as a nation if we have a President who wants to revert classrooms back to textbooks and an abacus.
I am shocked and amazed that that is even a thing. I mean, dang. Wifi is evil now too? I knew there was a community out there who didn't really like what computers were doing but I never thought there were extremists like this outside of TV.
Trump Super PAC: Khizr Khan’s son ‘would not have been allowed to serve’ under ‘President Trump’.

“Why not use the Muslim parents of a fallen soldier?” Gorani asked. “What’s the problem with that?”

“They don’t represent the majority of the fallen,” he replied, before suggesting that Democrats would not have invited a Muslim couple if they “really cared about the troops.”

inb4 "he's totally not against all Muslims, just terrorists"
Holy shit I'm impressed. As much as I enjoy this controversy, I was expecting it to die down by now. But Trump just never shuts up does he? Can he, even? You know, I read a theory in the Washington Post that perhaps the reason this controversy is so nasty is because before, he was always attacking either huge groups of nameless faces, or politicians and important figures; but with this one he is attacking a speciifc family that can hardly be described as the "elite".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 01, 2016, 11:53:22 pm »

What gets me is that anti-wifi is somehow even more monumentally fucked than anti-vaccination. Like, at least anti-vaccination is operating on the basically true statement that if you're injected with something toxic it'll harm you, but anti-wifi denies everything we know about EM.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 01, 2016, 11:56:29 pm »

What gets me is that anti-wifi is somehow even more monumentally fucked than anti-vaccination. Like, at least anti-vaccination is operating on the basically true statement that if you're injected with something toxic it'll harm you, but anti-wifi denies everything we know about EM.
No don't you see MSH

Wi Fi waves interfere with the natural psionic powers of our inner soul

They cut us off from Mother Gaia and starve the spirit by this disconnect.

Completely scientific and all-natural research.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 01, 2016, 11:58:16 pm »

Reasonable idea: schools need an overhaul in many areas, better distribution and use of funding, better ways to measure student progress, and an orientation towards allowing students who won't be pursuing higher education to at least obtain a useful skillset.

Insane idea about how to accomplish that: GIT RID OF THA GUBMINT INNERFEERIN IN AR SKOOLZ!

MSH, no, sweetheart, no. Antivaxxers kill babies, every time that playboy skank opens her stupid mouth I wish someone would shove their fist in it, people will just ignore the anti-wifi nutjobs, nobody is going to die because some morons deprive themselves of wifi, herd immunity protects the weakest members of society, and there is nothing remotely as toxic in a vaccine as there is in the mouth of an antivaccine whackjob.

Specifically, outside of some of the thimoserol ones, they just aren't toxic, the point is to use deactivated and harmless agents so your body identifies it and responds before anything harmful happens.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 02, 2016, 12:10:12 am »

Just one of the consequences of an education system that's in perennial crisis, the risk of Lucifer's tongue in your ear whispering "privatization".

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 02, 2016, 12:11:30 am »

Yeah, you think for-profit college is a problem, imagine if the only school to send your kids to was for-profit.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2016 on: August 02, 2016, 12:33:43 am »

But the free market will ensure that the demand for high-quality education will be filled by some schools
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 02, 2016, 12:48:50 am »

Yeah, you think for-profit college is a problem, imagine if the only school to send your kids to was for-profit.
Yeah.

And then it has to compete with all the other colleges for pricing. Maybe spends less on sports programs if they don't bring in more money than they cost. Probably fewer people could go to college. College isn't the only way to get a good job though. Technical schools do that too.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 02, 2016, 01:01:28 am »

I meant like elementary/middle/high being for-profit.
But the free market will ensure that the demand for high-quality education will be filled by some schools
I think the key word is "some" there.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2019 on: August 02, 2016, 01:38:02 am »

I think the key word is "some" there.
So if people don't want a high class education, they don't have to pay for it
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 02, 2016, 03:24:18 am »

"For Profit" indicate that education is secondary to profit, as with all other 'for profit' concepts.  Corners will be cut, humanities will be completely ignored, nothing but mindless worker drones all day erry day.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2021 on: August 02, 2016, 04:13:50 am »

Schools that have a reputation for being mindless worker factories would lose custom because they're shit, and people will send their kids to better schools.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:21 am »

Schools that have a reputation for being mindless worker factories would lose custom because they're shit, and people will send their kids to better schools.
Doesn't work if they all do that at the same time. Also, availability restrictions - you may not have a choice (ISPs in USA are often like that).

Free unregulated market is, in general, very shit at preventing shit like that from happening, as it has been proven historically many, many times.
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 02, 2016, 05:08:22 am »

Jill Stein: We should not be subjecting kids’ brains especially to that. And we don’t follow that issue in this country, but in Europe where they do, they have good precautions around wireless—maybe not good enough, because it’s very hard to study this stuff.

Is just like to chime in and say that - as far as I know - there are absolutely no restrictions on wifi because of "health" reasons over here, and neither have I heard of it being the case in any other european country. This is basically just Stein talking about her Canadian girlfriend here.
Love, scriver~

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2024 on: August 02, 2016, 05:35:22 am »

Is just like to chime in and say that - as far as I know - there are absolutely no restrictions on wifi because of "health" reasons over here, and neither have I heard of it being the case in any other european country. This is basically just Stein talking about her Canadian girlfriend here.
Not Europe, but there's none here either. Stein's either lying, or very, very stupid.

Doesn't work if they all do that at the same time. Also, availability restrictions - you may not have a choice (ISPs in USA are often like that).

Free unregulated market is, in general, very shit at preventing shit like that from happening, as it has been proven historically many, many times.
Gimme a break, it's hard to argue for something you don't agree with
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1249