Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395559 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1965 on: August 01, 2016, 02:58:19 pm »

No please, then we end up with a second EU
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: August 01, 2016, 03:05:44 pm »

No please, then we end up with a second EU

To which a two-party system is superior because?

edit: meaning that I dont believe having multiple parties is behind the current indecisiveness in EU.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:14:56 pm by Erkki »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: August 01, 2016, 03:57:53 pm »

Unless you're protesting *both* of them.
Yes. This is my point.

If you genuinely think neither Trump nor Hillary are remotely acceptable, write in a candidate. But one of them will be elected. I'm not certain how people find Hillary as repugnant as Trump, to where they would be alright with having Trump instead of Hillary (yes, I get it, you hate both, but refusing to vote just means the one you like the least is that much more likely to win).

Throwing away your vote is pointless.

I would like a ranked candidate system, where we can have more than two candidates, and if a candidate is, say, second choice out of five or so for everyone, and the first choice votes for one group are fifth for another and vice versa, the second choice guy gets elected.

Multi-party system with semi-open primaries sound pretty good to me.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: August 01, 2016, 04:27:33 pm »

Hey, I have an idea: Just write in "asshole", then no matter who wins you voted for them!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: August 01, 2016, 04:31:01 pm »

Plus you get to feel special no matter what.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: August 01, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »

Once again, Vermin Supreme has it right when it comes to voting.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: August 01, 2016, 05:27:45 pm »

There should be a new law in the US. You can either vote for one of the two candidates, or for Hitler. If at the end, more than 10% of voters voted Hitler, you know something is really wrong with the current candidates, and they will have to step down, and restart the election process.

If more than 50% votes Hitler, an emergency procedure is called into action, dedicating at least 90% of the GDP to inventing time travel.

I have it on good account, from sources I respect deeply, that both Trump and Hillary are literally Hitler, though.
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: August 01, 2016, 05:42:10 pm »

Man, this dust-up with Khizr Khan (and yes, it is pronounced "Kaiser") is blowing up in Trump's face. GOP figures are lining up to disavow, even Mike Pence.

Inb4 meme of enraged Trump yelling "KHAAAAAN!!!"  :P
Just like Caesar is, being the origin of the word "Kaiser" and all, which I was very happy to notice they got right during a Girls und Panzer episode.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1973 on: August 01, 2016, 06:01:15 pm »

Caesar is pronounced see-za in English tho
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: August 01, 2016, 06:19:15 pm »

A vote for a third party is a reasonably noticeable poke to whichever main party is closer that they need to redefine their bases.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1975 on: August 01, 2016, 06:28:08 pm »

Not really. In a two-party system, it's basically just the same as not voting.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: August 01, 2016, 06:28:37 pm »

The controversy continues in its fourth day. Many pundits are beginning to ask a question that surely has not been asked for a while: did Trump finally go too far? Did he say something that shouldn't be said? Or at least, keep saying it? Condemnation from every angle for attacking a hero is not good optics 98 days from the election.

And of course, the part of it that keeps this going is that while Trump's CAMPAIGN realizes and understands whats going on, and is doing the whole "Humayun Khan was a true american hero" thing, while Trump himself continues his personal war against the Khans. Another candidate would look at the situation, realize "this is not a war I can win", and back off, but Trump is so determined to win ALL of his wars that he refuses. He just can't relent. And as long as he can't relent he adds fuel to the fire, and the Khans continue lambasting him in interviews. Hell even the Khans, on their own, could not keep up the fight if Trump did not want to. Just by redirecting his attention Trump could ensure that, eventually, they wouldstop being talked about, but he just, hasn't. So self-destructive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: August 01, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »

Caesar is pronounced see-za in English tho

Just like your name is pronounced Or-an-gay Wuuzarudo in Japan. :D

The soft C comes from French however, which should give some proper French-hating Americans pause for thought.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:46:49 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: August 01, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »

A vote for a third party is a reasonably noticeable poke to whichever main party is closer that they need to redefine their bases.

Yes, for instance if you vote Green then you are telling the democrats they need to move right because they cant expect to find the votes on the left.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: August 01, 2016, 06:49:08 pm »

I don't know about that. When right-wing populists arise, it draws the right-wing party further right, not to the left. The main party is more likely to steal the minor party's platform than be driven to the center.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:03:06 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 1249