Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395659 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1905 on: July 31, 2016, 04:08:30 pm »

I dunno, he is from Indiana, and he wasn't born into an exceptional degree of wealth either. He may actually like Chili's, or at least feel nostalgic about going there with the family as a kid and wants to go there with his own family now, but has since changed enough that he's sort of out of place there.
Shitty was a bad word, but it's obviously a photo-op though. Pandering. Like with the Trump video, he clearly could take them to Trumps "All-you-can-eat Foie Gras and Caviar" eatery if he wanted to, but he knows that would look bad. I mean he can get a Chili's anywhere, but in New York you would expect that you want to take a little advantage.

I mean, I live here, and I'm poor. Obviously I don't eat super well or go to the trendy or super nice places a lot. But at the same time, since I live here, I have the option of doing that whenever I want. You don't live here, when you come to NY you don't say "I am here to sample your fabulous chain restaurants". I mean you *could* do that, but then why be in NY? You could do that at home and save yourself the cost of a ticket (assuming Trumpforce one isn't taking you everywhere). It's just a choice that doesn't make a ton of sense, and thus comes off as attempting to mix "I am stumping across the country with my best bud Trump" and "I am just like you!"

It's like if I went to your state and didn't bother to eat any of your special foods or anything, and just went for a generic chain restaurant; I would come off as not wanting to try any of your foods wouldn't I? Maybe "shitty" was a poor word choice; generic is better. It's just not what you should be doing. It's totally ok to like Chili's. Personally I have no opinions on them whatsoever, I've never eaten there. It's just, if you like Chili's, Indiana already has those.

You don't go to New York for Chili's is what I'm saying. You just don't. When politicians go to like, Iowa, they eat the special Iowa foods usually (I don't know what those are, honestly, but I keep hearing Media mention them around the primaries). When they come to New York, you expect either to go for one of the cheap NY foods the common man eats (like pizza, or hotdogs! Nathan's would have been a good choice), or you follow Trump to his Steak Factory. It's just odd. IDK. see Jon Stewart's rant for more information.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:14:24 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 31, 2016, 04:30:27 pm »

Like calling to like, maybe? One public health risk to another >_>

Definitely kinda' odd, though, yeah. Dunno if it's gotten better the last year or two, but chili's had some pretty nasty media related stuff happen not terribly long ago, iirc. Everything else aside, with that hanging around in recent memory it's just a pretty subpar choice optics wise compared to a lot of other chains. My best guess would be they just weren't thinking on it very much. Considering who's involved that wouldn't exactly be a surprise...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 31, 2016, 04:49:23 pm »

-snip-

Ah, I see what you're saying. Maybe having an unpopular opinion has made me too quick to assume the worst in this thread.

Anyway, analysts are looking toward Pennsylvania as a sort of swing state of swing states. It's been pretty cleanly blue for some time now, but the polls there are pretty hotly contested with the Philadelphia area becoming much bluer and the rest of the state becoming much redder. Pennsylvanian coal workers are pretty angry about the Obama administration's environmental efforts damaging the industry, but they were already pretty solidly red. I wonder what's brought about the change now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:51:14 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 31, 2016, 05:13:04 pm »

Shitty was a bad word,

Lazy perhaps?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 31, 2016, 05:29:32 pm »

Like calling to like, maybe? One public health risk to another >_>

Definitely kinda' odd, though, yeah. Dunno if it's gotten better the last year or two, but chili's had some pretty nasty media related stuff happen not terribly long ago, iirc. Everything else aside, with that hanging around in recent memory it's just a pretty subpar choice optics wise compared to a lot of other chains. My best guess would be they just weren't thinking on it very much. Considering who's involved that wouldn't exactly be a surprise...
Subpar optics choice, I wish I could say I see what you did there, but I was looking for your reflection in a mirror and missed the joke entirely.

"Hey honey, we're gonna be in Memphis next week, you know where we should go eat?"
'Corky's?'
"Nah... I hear they've got an Olive Garden there!"

But seriously, I'm not sure what local food New York is specifically known for, but if there is something like Memphis Ribs and Barbecue and you didn't go to Corky's or a similar place to get some... well, it's a good thing your vampire spawn will probably end up feeding on you at some point, leaving only disposal of your drained husk to worry about.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 31, 2016, 05:32:43 pm »

If only national politicians had an endless supply of locals who were eager to tell them all the great things about their hometown.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 31, 2016, 05:49:16 pm »

Not even my hometown, but the pulled pork bbq from Corky's and the Memphis rub ribs the mother-in-law makes... damn, I'd be mad if someone came for a photo-op and picked a damn Chili's or some nonsense here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 31, 2016, 05:51:19 pm »

I have to say, I don't get why there would be a fuss about a politicians choice of where to dine. It seems rather ludicrous to critique them for this, of all things. The impression I get is that they're being criticized for dining choice because they're already disliked and the more things you can hit them with, regardless of relevance or bearing on anything else, indeed on anything whatsoever, the better.

Like, honestly people. It could also be because if he went to an ethnic restaurant with a lot of great food he'd be heckled the entire time, and wanted to eat in peace. There's been videos of that happening to other politicians. People get so invested in them and worked up about issues, and maybe they're right to be, but you don't attack someone while they're just trying to sit and eat. But if I were him, I would probably be worried about precisely that happening if I went to somewhere nicer or less 'white' in New York. Furthermore, campaigning is stressful, and if I'm in NYC for something else, and want to grab something to eat, something familiar might be the way to go, since it can be a comfort. He's not a progressive/liberal/Blue Tribe, his greatest joys do not come from experiencing the new and different. They come from familiarity, comfort, and simplicity.

At least, that's my take on it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 31, 2016, 05:56:39 pm »

I was going to explain this but it's less brain-hurty to just quote it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/31/politics/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-crimea-putin/

Donald Trump said Sunday that Russian President Vladimir Putin won't make a military move into Ukraine -- even though Putin already has done just that, seizing the country's Crimean Peninsula.

"He's not going into Ukraine, OK, just so you understand. He's not going to go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down. You can take it anywhere you want," Trump said in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week."

"Well, he's already there, isn't he?" Stephanopoulos responded, in a reference to Crimea, which Putin took from Ukraine in early 2014.

Trump said: "OK -- well, he's there in a certain way. But I'm not there. You have Obama there. And frankly, that whole part of the world is a mess under Obama with all the strength that you're talking about and all of the power of NATO and all of this. In the meantime, he's going away. He takes Crimea."

Stephanopoulos interjected to note that Trump has suggested he could recognize Russia's claim on Crimea over Ukraine's -- and Trump didn't back away from that possibility in the interview.

"I'm going to take a look at it," he said. "But you know, the people of Crimea, from what I've heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were. And you have to look at that, also ... just so you understand, that was done under Obama's administration."

Trump added: "And as far as the Ukraine is concerned, it's a mess. And that's under the Obama's administration with his strong ties to NATO. So with all of these strong ties to NATO, Ukraine is a mess. Crimea has been taken. Don't blame Donald Trump for that."

It's all sorts of bizarre, not least the "why are you bringing Russia up with me? It's not my problem" attitude when he's running for President. And again with repudiation of America's strongest allies as "His [Obama's] strong ties to NATO". So Trump is signaling he's going to roll over on Russia and screw Western Europe.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:03:46 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 31, 2016, 05:58:48 pm »

Take can be your take, but it's still more or less an insult to the place you're visiting, particularly when you're using it as a photo-op. Comfort or not, the message being broadcast is that you don't care enough about the place your visiting to partake of their food. That you'd rather give overt attention to some chain restaurant (i.e. big business, et al) instead of anything that feeds primarily/entirely back into the community. S'not going to make people happy with you.

Honestly, red tribe would catch even more shit about this than blue tribe in any of the red tribe areas. Conservative localities do not fuck around about food, and a politician that won't even eat with you is pretty much the epitome of disconnected muckity-muck. If this had happened in alabama they might have lynched the blighter, and I'm only mostly joking.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 31, 2016, 06:16:56 pm »

Take can be your take, but it's still more or less an insult to the place you're visiting, particularly when you're using it as a photo-op. Comfort or not, the message being broadcast is that you don't care enough about the place your visiting to partake of their food. That you'd rather give overt attention to some chain restaurant (i.e. big business, et al) instead of anything that feeds primarily/entirely back into the community. S'not going to make people happy with you.

Honestly, red tribe would catch even more shit about this than blue tribe in any of the red tribe areas. Conservative localities do not fuck around about food, and a politician that won't even eat with you is pretty much the epitome of disconnected muckity-muck. If this had happened in alabama they might have lynched the blighter, and I'm only mostly joking.
My guess is that the food in rural Alabama would be food he was more comfortable with. Red Tribe and Blue Tribe have different tastes after all. And to be fair to his critics, it's also possible that he is choosing to eat there to essentially flip off urban NYC, since urban NYC was never ever in a thousand years going to vote for his candidate anyway, and might make more rural voters like him more for sticking it to those elitist pricks.

I mean, it probably would've been better by going to a southern or country-style local restaurant, but I'm not sure how many of those are, and he might have been trying to signal to corporates, too. *shrug*

Using it as a photo op might not have been the best idea if he was just going for 'need eat', though. Probably a combination of all these factors.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 31, 2016, 06:21:19 pm »

I have to say, I don't get why there would be a fuss about a politicians choice of where to dine. It seems rather ludicrous to critique them for this, of all things. The impression I get is that they're being criticized for dining choice because they're already disliked and the more things you can hit them with, regardless of relevance or bearing on anything else, indeed on anything whatsoever, the better.

Like, honestly people. It could also be because if he went to an ethnic restaurant with a lot of great food he'd be heckled the entire time, and wanted to eat in peace. There's been videos of that happening to other politicians. People get so invested in them and worked up about issues, and maybe they're right to be, but you don't attack someone while they're just trying to sit and eat. But if I were him, I would probably be worried about precisely that happening if I went to somewhere nicer or less 'white' in New York. Furthermore, campaigning is stressful, and if I'm in NYC for something else, and want to grab something to eat, something familiar might be the way to go, since it can be a comfort. He's not a progressive/liberal/Blue Tribe, his greatest joys do not come from experiencing the new and different. They come from familiarity, comfort, and simplicity.

Two big reasons.

First, "one of us" is a huge deal with the electorate. People want to be able to connect with their candidate, and dining at a local favorite during your visit can help immensely at that. Eating somewhere you can eat at literally anywhere in the country puts a seperation between you and the locals, which is bad. On the flipside, going to a blue-collar chain at least can show some commonality with working-class people, which might work out OK.

Second, going to a local institution shows that you actually care about the place you're politicking in enough to find out about the local culture, while going to a chain says "I care so little about you peasants that I can't even be bothered to have a staffer look up someplace to eat". Bad move.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 31, 2016, 06:22:00 pm »

For reference, I would be mad if Obama or Biden came here and did a photo op at Chili's or some nonsense, I'm gonna miss Obama, and Biden is a hoot, Hillary has lived in Arkansas, so she probably would know better, but she wouldn't get a pass for doing it either, party doesn't matter, Memphis is known for Blues, BBQ, crack, and MLK being shot basically. If you aren't planning on shooting civil rights leaders before smoking crack and writing a blues song about it, you should at least try the ribs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 31, 2016, 06:32:40 pm »

I agree in general, it's really not a big deal and he should be able to eat in peace.  And I don't just mean ideally.
Probably shouldn't have tweeted it, though.  That kinda opens it up to criticism, maybe even makes it slightly insulting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 1249