Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395766 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1890 on: July 31, 2016, 12:52:40 pm »

Compared to Trump, she is pratically saintly. I guess most of the 'liar, liar, pants (dress?) on fire' towards Clinton has been over her statements on Benghazi and the whole email server thing. That and the republicans hammering her for decades.
Compared to apparently close to any politician, according to that article. At the very least by politifact's measure. Consistent top ten out of a few thousand's a neat hat trick.

Course, the obvious response is that it's not the quantity but the quality. Or mumbling about half-truths and whatnot. Still makes folks that support trump while hammering on dishonesty about clinton hypocritical as all hell but *shrugs* Most folks seem to be at least self aware enough to acknowledge trump lies out his ass pretty regularly. Or some, at least.

Or stuff like R's point, sure. Think I've said something similar before, but I'm pretty sure if the Christian God came down and told the world that from that day forth, Clinton would speak only honesty, people would still be trying to justify interpreting a great deal of what she said after as a lie.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 31, 2016, 12:55:23 pm »

That wasn't the second coming.  Can you believe how that dishonest Clinton would pretend that was the second coming?  Probably paid for with George Soros money and done by Correct the Record.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 31, 2016, 01:03:45 pm »

Plus who would trust anyone claiming to be any incarnation of an old testament type deity? I mean, I'm not gonna anger him just in case they actually have the whole "poof, you're a salt pillar and now it's gonna rain fire and blood" schtick going, but I'd prefer a more reliable endorsement than that.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 31, 2016, 01:11:47 pm »

What's intriguing to me is that Clinton has so few statements compared to Trump, while it aggregates over nine years, rather than less than two months.

My bet is that Hillary is very careful with her words. Don't know about her internal honesty, just like I'm not sure about most politicians' internal honesty, but she makes sure she can't be caught out for her statements, at least.
Politifact generally rates technically-true-but-misleading statements as "half true" or "mostly false", if that's what you're getting at.
Well, not really; I mostly mean how she probably just doesn't make a statement if she can't be sure of it's truthfulness. Which, from what I remember, was like a fifth of the reason people felt she was dishonest; she would change her mind on issues a lot, and you couldn't really pin down a position that she actually stuck to.

Which I don't actually mind in a politician, when I think it's because their values/opinions are actually changing in light of new evidence or experience. But since our system seems to have decided that politicians are tools/mouthpieces of the public, not leaders chosen specifically for skill, and should simply represent the views of their electorate as directly as possible, a politician whose position isn't stable might not be preferable for some people.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: July 31, 2016, 01:29:05 pm »

she would change her mind on issues a lot, and you couldn't really pin down a position that she actually stuck to.

She has spent more time working for the same causes then you have been alive...

I'm guessing this is about either gay marriage?  Yeah, she changed her mind about gay marriage.  So did almost every human being in this country including a lot of queer people.  Sometimes people actually consider things in an open minded fashion and arrive at new opinions.  It's a good thing.  Let me give you the Dan Savage quote:

“She wasn’t always good on gay marriage, but neither was Barack Obama…When you go to somebody, go to a politician, and you say, ‘Please change your mind,’ when they change their mind, you don’t then spend the rest of their lives going, ‘F*ck you for not changing your mind sooner!’ You say, ‘Welcome to the right side of this issue, we’re glad to have you.'”

Hillary Clinton wasn't ahead of the pack in realizing the gay marraige was an actual thing that was real and would matter.  But she was never pushing for intolerance.  That's the standard you should use.  When a politician in the 90s supported "Dont Ask Dont Tell" they were supporting the most tolerant position at the time.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 31, 2016, 01:37:21 pm »

she would change her mind on issues a lot, and you couldn't really pin down a position that she actually stuck to.

She has spent more time working for the same causes then you have been alive...

I'm guessing this is about either gay marriage?  Yeah, she changed her mind about gay marriage.  So did almost every human being in this country including a lot of queer people.  Sometimes people actually consider things in an open minded fashion and arrive at new opinions.  It's a good thing.  Let me give you the Dan Savage quote:
Did...did you read the rest of my post?

No I mean really, read that second bit again.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 31, 2016, 01:40:23 pm »

I'm sorry, I got distracted halfway through by a shiney.... oh!

Edit: have some news: https://twitter.com/forecasterenten/status/759592943770566656
PPP is the best pollster.  Say what you will about their accuracy, they ask the questions that matter.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:02:43 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 31, 2016, 02:27:53 pm »

There's something wrong with this picture. Hint: it involves the reflections.

Also, among the highlights of the PPP polling:
...33% think Clinton even has ties to Lucifer, to 36% who say they don't think
so, and 31% who are unsure either way...
So yeah, that's apparently a thing now.
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 31, 2016, 02:49:53 pm »

Also, among the highlights of the PPP polling:
...33% think Clinton even has ties to Lucifer, to 36% who say they don't think
so, and 31% who are unsure either way...
So yeah, that's apparently a thing now.
She's in cahoots with an ancient Babylonian king?  :P
That's pretty hilarious though, I wonder who the heck they polled to get that.  Hopefully lots of joke-answers.

Also the image of the vampire is great and all but she is visible through the mug, I think the angle's just weird.
[Masquerade point redeemed]
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 31, 2016, 02:53:37 pm »

I think it's reassuring that a potential VP is proven to not himelf be a vampire, and yet also not antiundead as can be seen by his choice of associates.

But, aside from Trump, that woman next to him (daughter?) probably counts as well... :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: July 31, 2016, 03:29:28 pm »

Daughter?  Mike Pence's daughter died tragically oh these many 18 years ago on a dark and stormy night...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 31, 2016, 03:34:09 pm »

It's easy to look at it and assume that there is something wrong, but draw a line through the part of pence you see to the mirror and you can see he obscures her.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 31, 2016, 03:35:17 pm »

Daughter?  Mike Pence's daughter died tragically oh these many 18 years ago on a dark and stormy night...

They told her that Trump Tower was an unholy place, home of a slumbering evil that's just the greatest, really top shelf and classy stuff you know?, but the truth of these warnings revealed itself too late for her on that fateful night...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 31, 2016, 03:50:13 pm »

Old. We talked about this in the NYC subreddit  two weeks ago. Our conclusions were as follows:

A) Pence really went out of his way to go to the shittiest possible eatery he could find. A Chili's in Staten Island? Really? I mean clearly the whole "look at me I understand the workingman" thing, but when you are at a Chili's in a suit there are limits. Could go to one of the two Olive Garden's but thats too "1%" I guess. At least should have gotten pizza.

B): Pence's daughter is clearly a vampire, and so is welcome in our financial industry; anyone who claims "geometry" and other mental gymnastics are just vampire deniers.

C): Regarding A, it could well have been worse. It could have been Trump bringing Palin to a Familia's and eating Pizza with a fork. Here is Jon Stewart on the issue.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:14:54 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 31, 2016, 03:56:58 pm »

I dunno, he is from Indiana, and he wasn't born into an exceptional degree of wealth either. He may actually like Chili's, or at least feel nostalgic about going there with the family as a kid and wants to go there with his own family now, but has since changed enough that he's sort of out of place there.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 1249