Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1385131 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1410 on: July 26, 2016, 03:36:20 pm »

Rolepgeek I would say those roles have reversed and are the product of necessity, not philosophy

Consider how progressive leftism now eschews free speech in favour of safe speech, curtails academic freedom in favour of academic uniformity and intellectual insulation, whilst traditional rightism has eschewed conservatism in lieu of provocation, moral values in favour of pretenderism, nationalism in lieu of globalism etc.

I imagine once new-rightism takes supremacy, the roles will switch round again
It's similar to how for example the left and right were opposed to mass surveillance, but under Obama the left supported Obama's decision to label Edward as traitor, and the right rushed to defend civil liberties from Obama. Didn't really make sense to make it a left-right issue cos it was Bush as continued by Obama, but there you go, it certainly was looked at it like one. Cycles, it all goes on in cycles

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 26, 2016, 03:39:49 pm »

Any complicated ideology is easy to misunderstand when the alternative doesn't have to be tested.  As an example for comparison, it's hard to hate on healthcare reformers because everyone knows that the alternative to healthcare reform is an inhumane shitshow.  That gives perspective to the inevitable difficulties in healthcare reform.  It's very easy to make juvenile criticism of an ideology as anti-free speech because it can't be falsified.  All you have to do is point out that it's less then utopian and then bask in the smug satisfaction of an uncurious mind that just dissed someone.

And their 'wrongness', in my experience. In fact, it seems like most group's enemies consist entirely of stupid, brainwashed followers underneath vile, conniving, conspiratorial overlords.

Most groups.  But as an establishment zealot I'm in the awkward position that all my enemies consist of bright eyed zealots who see all the problems in the system that I wish people would ignore.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:43:53 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 26, 2016, 03:45:22 pm »

Fancy 360 degree coverage of DNC. You can change the direction you look, sci-fi, etc.

EDIT: Also, you can play a game "spot the Bernie Bro".
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:47:09 pm by Sergarr »
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 26, 2016, 03:57:05 pm »

On the stage at the podium?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 26, 2016, 04:09:33 pm »

On the stage at the podium?
Yeah, seems so.

Sanders is certainly getting the extremely positive attention on the DNC. Still sure about him losing political influence, Frumple?
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 26, 2016, 04:14:55 pm »

Still sure about him losing political influence, Frumple?

Fighting to the bitter end is a great way to get people talking about you.  But talk isn't the same as power, even in Congress.  Case in point, the democrats talk about Donald Trump a lot.  How effective do you think Donald Trump would be at getting democrats to vote for his ideas?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:17:30 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 26, 2016, 04:22:42 pm »

Fighting to the bitter end is a great way to get people talking about you.  But talk isn't the same as power, even in Congress.  Case in point, the democrats talk about Donald Trump a lot.  How effective do you think Donald Trump would be at getting democrats to vote for his ideas?
That's why I didn't just say "attention", I've said "extremely positive attention". Absolutely doesn't apply to Trump.
._.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 26, 2016, 04:24:03 pm »

I dunno, reverse psychology might work pretty well in that case. Don't built a wall! Don't close the borders! Don't take away everyone's health insurance!

"I dunno what he's up to, but we better be against him just for appearance sake."

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 26, 2016, 04:27:46 pm »

The roll call vote is starting now, with Alabama and Alaska. This is it, folks.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 26, 2016, 04:28:28 pm »

Holy shit BFEL, where's all this shit about Big H being evil come from? Even the most dedicated of BernieBros in this here thread seem to have agreed that she is, at worst, subpar and externally influenced.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 26, 2016, 04:28:49 pm »

Aaand Alabama has lost 1 vote somewhere... must be a rounding error.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 26, 2016, 04:34:00 pm »

That's why I didn't just say "attention", I've said "extremely positive attention". Absolutely doesn't apply to Trump.

This is the kiss and make up lovefest part of the process.  Only a complete asshole would say anything remotely negative.  It would not only be counter productive, it would be a completely unclassy move.  Like talking about the divorce while giving the best man speech for the second wedding.

Outside the kiss and make up part you have a lot of people pissed off.  Look at the DNC emails leak.  They contain a lot of bitching and moaning about Bernie Sanders.

Aaand Alabama has lost 1 vote somewhere... must be a rounding error.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 26, 2016, 04:34:21 pm »

Just caught the start as California was going. Any revolts yet?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 26, 2016, 04:36:59 pm »

Just caught the start as California was going. Any revolts yet?
Nope. Everything is going well so far.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 26, 2016, 04:40:43 pm »

I half expected California to cause some drama, but that might come from Texas what with what happened this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 1249