Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1386225 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1350 on: July 26, 2016, 05:14:14 am »

i don't know mang the asphalt whispers hateful secrets to me in the night
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1351 on: July 26, 2016, 05:23:44 am »

i don't know mang the asphalt whispers hateful secrets to me in the night
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You know, maybe Sanders made the right decision by not conceding the primary until the very end. He managed to push forward nearly all of his platform stuff, including stuff that was outright declared by some people as "delusional", like 15$ minimum wage, alongside with breaking up big banks and free public university education.
It sure seems that he didn't lose any political influence by not quitting early. In fact, he may have had much more influence than he would have had otherwise. This is certainly a historical decision on his part, one that may be followed by many more candidates in the future.
Muh narrative control? You know, you may be onto something
Smaller groups are more than capable of forcing larger parties into aligning with their beliefs by threatening to tank their election campaigns

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 26, 2016, 05:39:24 am »

Evil lurks the DNC as readily as it lurked the streets of yesteryear... But it was never the streets that were evil
When the sun goes down, the armies of the voiceless, several hundred thousand strong. Come out without their bandages, their voices raised in song. When the streetlights sputter out, they make this awful sizzling sound. I cast my gaze toward the pavement, too many blood stains on the ground.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 26, 2016, 06:01:30 am »

You know, maybe Sanders made the right decision by not conceding the primary until the very end. He managed to push forward nearly all of his platform stuff, including stuff that was outright declared by some people as "delusional", like 15$ minimum wage, alongside with breaking up big banks and free public university education.

It sure seems that he didn't lose any political influence by not quitting early. In fact, he may have had much more influence than he would have had otherwise. This is certainly a historical decision on his part, one that may be followed by many more candidates in the future.
... just about every appearance is that he lost a lot of political influence by not quitting earlier, as well as not handling things during the primary a (fair) bit more adroitly. Those things you mentioned as pushing forward were things clinton was already intending to push towards, just not quite as rapidly (because, y'know, then it'd be easier to actually get some shit done in a single term) on some fronts. 13-and-a-bit minimum wage, a massive expansion of free uni education for everyone below a certain (pretty damn high) income, etc., etc., etc. Was all shit that was already on the table. In exchange for "concessions" that were basically already happening, he's hurt the chances of a liberal president (and by extension SCOTUS position), lost pretty much any chance of influencing any major cabinet etc. positions, and mostly pissed off many of the people that's basically been trying to do the same goddamn thing he was.

He's maybe expanded his personal voting base to a degree (but not as much as he could have, because as I've noted this shit has alienated some of his previous support base) and managed to convince people to try to do some stuff that's probably goddamn stupid on a practical level, and in exchange did a lot of bridge burning with people that not just could have been allies towards the things he's try to get, but were (and still are, but you can pretty much guarantee it's not going to be so in tandem with sanders very much at this point), and generally turned a fair chunk of people that already weren't largely against his rhetoric style and whatnot.

Basically any gains you're seeing are significantly smaller than they probably could have been, and some have quite possibly turned things that could have been victories outright for his platform into pyhrric ones at best. A number of the decisions he's made, particularly near the end of the primary, have been frankly fucking stupid, particularly on any level that isn't kinda' distasteful (i.e. not egotism or personal gain or whatev').

And seriously, I say all this as someone that came into this primary pretty damn supportive of the guy, and was kinda' trying to stay positive on the man for most of the primary. I've really wanted to support someone as verbally (if not functionally) left-wing as he is. But dude done fucked up. My opinion of him as a political operator is now pretty much nil, and the impression of character he was giving before has been eroded to hell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 26, 2016, 06:22:24 am »

So did you guys apparently watch a totally different DNC then my mom did?
She was fucking ecstatic last night due to how hilariously bad the whole thing was.
She actually vomited from laughter since EVERY. SINGLE. SPEAKER. ESPECIALLY SANDERS. was booed off the stage. And then a storm rolled over the whole thing to fuck over the speakers.

Granted she said most networks censored out the boos so maybe you literally were watching a different one.

Oh and no comment on the Pro-Hilary gestappo confiscating Bernie signs and threatening people? And the big ass fence-walls encircling both the stage and the entire building?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 26, 2016, 06:52:33 am »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 26, 2016, 06:53:58 am »

She was fucking ecstatic last night due to how hilariously bad the whole thing was.
She actually vomited from laughter since EVERY. SINGLE. SPEAKER. ESPECIALLY SANDERS. was booed off the stage. And then a storm rolled over the whole thing to fuck over the speakers.

Granted she said most networks censored out the boos so maybe you literally were watching a different one.

Oh and no comment on the Pro-Hilary gestappo confiscating Bernie signs and threatening people? And the big ass fence-walls encircling both the stage and the entire building?

That's basically what i saw as well.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 26, 2016, 06:54:07 am »

Geeze. I was listening to Fox last night (they were the only local channel covering it on the radio), and while there was some degree of booing early on, that largely dissipated after Elizabeth Warren.

After that, things were relatively cordial all things considered.

Also, not sure on the whole confiscation of the Bernie signs. The question was raised by one of the Fox anchors whether or not the signs were being confiscated, and apparently in house security supposedly were letting them be. Granted, I didn't see live coverage, only listened to it, so my view is (hopefully) understandably blinded by my lack of physical sight on the cameras of the convention.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 26, 2016, 06:56:44 am »

Sign stealing is pretty common at conventions. Ron Paul signs at the 2012 RNC was a Big Deal in the news for a little while. It's important for the leading candidate to highlight their insecurity by roughing up as many of the other contenders as possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 26, 2016, 06:59:53 am »

It's important for the leading candidate to highlight their insecurity by roughing up as many of the other contenders as possible.

:D
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 26, 2016, 07:02:50 am »

Geeze. I was listening to Fox last night (they were the only local channel covering it on the radio), and while there was some degree of booing early on, that largely dissipated after Elizabeth Warren.
That's because Fox started editing out the booing, as did most other channels. The only place that apparently still has the unedited event is YouTube, and who knows how long that will last since the establishment is fucking dedicated to whitewashing everything about Clinton at any cost.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1362 on: July 26, 2016, 07:13:22 am »

Is it just me or is your mum extremely right-wing
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 26, 2016, 07:14:01 am »

Also bugnuts, for what it's worth.

Why in the name of zeus would fox be editing out booing during the DNC, anyway?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 26, 2016, 07:17:02 am »

According to the fivethirtyeight guys, who were on the floor at the convention, the booing was very localised to mostly the california delegates and was only really noticable if you were near them, so how much of it networks picked up would be very related to where on the floor their mics were. Also, the bernie signs were actually being handed out, not taken away.

Source: http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/democratic-convention-live-coverage-of-day-one/
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1249