Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1386515 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1155 on: July 25, 2016, 07:42:26 am »

I think it will ultimately remain chill. I am curious about how the Democrats will do their convention, and they would really have to work hard to perform worse than worse than the Republican Party's convention.

I actually fully expect (read: really hope) it to be like what I thought the Republican party convention was supposed to be like, rather than fearmonger, fear, screams, doom, fearmonger, doom, MORE DOOM.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 25, 2016, 07:42:56 am »

Gang related?
At a party for kids age 12-17?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:28 am »

Kids these days...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 25, 2016, 07:45:12 am »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 25, 2016, 07:49:16 am »

Club Blu, where the incident took place, placed a notification on their facebook page:

"We are deeply sorry for all involved. We tried to give the teens WHAT WE THOUGHT WAS A SAFE PLACE TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. Ages 12-17. There was armed security as well as full security,inside and out. As the club was closing and parents were picking their children up.....that's when all this took place.  There was nothing more we could of done az you see it was not kids at the party that did this despicable act. Our condolences to all parties involved."
https://www.facebook.com/CLUBBLU3580/?_fb_noscript=1

I guess it *could* be gang related, although targeting someone picking up their kids is like, really psychopath. Even moreso with the complete disregard of shooting random kids as collateral damage.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:50:57 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 25, 2016, 07:57:24 am »

Yeah, we just don't know enough at this point. Also, point of argument against the NRA, there were (heavily?) armed security guards inside and outside, yet that didn't stop it from happening. I'd love to see them try to argue an excuse to it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 25, 2016, 08:12:13 am »

... yeah, something targeting kids that age could pretty easily be gang related. Don't recall how bad fort myers is, but there's some areas in florida that are pretty damn rough as that sort of thing goes, and people in the high school range in particular are far from unlikely to be involved, in a relative sense. Mid to late teens is more or less exactly the age range you expect trouble to start fermenting.

You... kinda' have to remember that there's a good chunk of this state that's riddled with both poverty and drug trafficking, just as a sort of baseline, and areas where the police/local government (or at least enough of them it makes a notable difference) are incredibly fucking corrupt. Add some of the loosest firearm controls in the country and, well... gangs and gang related violence is not exactly a surprise. It's usually not particularly reported on, but it's not a surprise.

E: And them being just collateral damage is even more likely, tbh. We've had roughly similar things happen more than once in the last couple decades, where a gang or group of people were trying to kill one person and ended up netting a number of others (often family) as well. Nasty stuff, but again, the conditions in florida are particularly ripe for it, compared to a lot of places in the US.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:16:32 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 25, 2016, 08:21:00 am »

The Guardian's article has a crucial bit of information not in the CNN one, there was apparently some sort of argument outside. Which seems to lead it to being two or more people having a shootout with each other. It also doesn't sound like the security guards outside were able to do anything about it, AFAIK.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/25/shooting-nightclub-fort-myers-florida

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 25, 2016, 09:30:12 am »

I think it will ultimately remain chill. I am curious about how the Democrats will do their convention, and they would really have to work hard to perform worse than worse than the Republican Party's convention.

Looks like some people were working on that:

The move had to happen on Sunday, said a senior Democrat: Sanders-supporting delegates — without the buy-in of his campaign — had been organizing an effort over the preceding day to have state delegations vote to demand her resignation at the Monday morning caucus breakfasts. Given the number of delegations in which Sanders supporters are the majority, the movement would likely have spread, overtaking any other news on the convention’s opening day.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 25, 2016, 09:47:47 am »

Intriguing! Thanks for the article.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 25, 2016, 10:24:04 am »

Well, there's going to be drama one way or another.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 25, 2016, 10:25:36 am »

Even if there isn't. Gotta' make those ratings somehow.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 25, 2016, 10:42:55 am »

Gang related?
At a party for kids age 12-17?
Yes, sadly, thats a thing. I'm reminded of my Jury Duty recently. I'm not allowed to say much about it, only that it was gang related and that most were under the age of 18, with a few below 16 and only maybe 1/4 over 18 (which was important because First Degree Conspiracy has an age requirement in my state).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1168 on: July 25, 2016, 11:48:28 am »

Clintons say the DNC leaks were probably Russia's fault

Didn't the Russians already steal the DNC's research on Trump a while back?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 25, 2016, 12:00:44 pm »

In other news, while people in various places were grumpy about the DWS thing, Kaine apparently speech'D his ass off?

A sane reasonable foil to Trump/Pence?

Known for reaching across the aisle?

Sounds good to me.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 1249