Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1386554 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1110 on: July 24, 2016, 04:35:54 pm »

Fucking Bernie Sanders.  I really wish they would give him her job next.

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and the DNC dug themselves into the hole, Sanders didn't dig their hole.

Wasserman Schultz resigns
Good riddance.

Donna Brazile is a good interim pick.

Or Elizabeth Warren, though she might not be 'senior' enough, or however the qualifications go, if any.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: July 24, 2016, 04:58:14 pm »

So Trump is talking about expanding his hypothetical ban on Muslim entrants to the US to include people from countries "totally compromised by terrorism". Like France and Germany.
Fortress America when?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: July 24, 2016, 05:04:53 pm »

2 "People of colour" just sounds... meh.
FTFY
Cheers. Should have realised that this was the one time that a US-friendly "colo[u]r" needed a special detagging arrangement of some kind.  :P

It is pretty meh given the fight the last 150 years of trying to get people to stop referring to them by their skin color. One ironic example being "colored people".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: July 24, 2016, 05:23:15 pm »

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and the DNC dug themselves into the hole, Sanders didn't dig their hole.

A woman just got fired because he was on tv demanding she got fired.  And you think he didn't dig the hole?

Imagine what a politician with actual principals would have done.  Look at what Obama did.  When he was in a contentious primary he didn't whine and bitch and complain it was rigged.  Afterwards he made an honest effort to mend bridges.  That tells us something about Obama.  Obama actually meant what he said when he talked about ending the politics of cynicism.  He was willing to work with people.  And as a result, people were willing to work with him.  Obama was never a liability for the democratic party.

Sanders could have made this go away with two sentence and not giving up a shred of his pride.  He could have just said "It's time to mend bridges.  I believe that Debbie Schultz is looking forward to her retirement and wish her all the best as she finishes serving out her term."  He could have done that and saved the democratic party so much bad optics of having their chair resign.  If he cared about party unity it would have been a no brainer.

Adversity reveals a lot about people's character.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 24, 2016, 05:23:37 pm »

I still don't get the justification behind "people of color is totally not a racist term guyz", because it sounds like a totally racist term invented by closet racists.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 24, 2016, 05:25:22 pm »

I still don't get the justification behind "people of color is totally not a racist term guyz", because it sounds like a totally racist term invented by closet racists.

It depends on the context a lot.  There are circumstances where POC is the appropriate term.  There are circumstances when it's a racist dog whistle.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 24, 2016, 05:27:45 pm »

It's not like darkish tan is any "more" of a color than lightish tan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 24, 2016, 05:40:55 pm »

Imagine what a politician with actual principals would have done.  Look at what Obama did.  When he was in a contentious primary he didn't whine and bitch and complain it was rigged.  Afterwards he made an honest effort to mend bridges.  That tells us something about Obama.  Obama actually meant what he said when he talked about ending the politics of cynicism.  He was willing to work with people.  And as a result, people were willing to work with him.  Obama was never a liability for the democratic party.
That would be because Obama had won by the convention. And there were certainly elements of Clinton's supporters who whined and bitched and threatened to burn it all down. Do I really have to remind you of the PUMAs?

Obama wasn't a liability because the was the *nominee*.  ???

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 24, 2016, 06:03:40 pm »

Do I really have to remind you of the PUMAs?

No you dont.  And I dont blame Bernie Sanders for the existence of diehards unless he is one of them (he isn't, right?).  What I blame him for is being a liability.  Clinton and Obama were careful to backtrack if they ever crossed the line.  Bernie thinks the rules dont apply to him.

Maybe DWS was the worst woman ever.  If so she should have resigned.... eight weeks from now with a successor in the wings and everything planned to minimize the damage.  Bernie Sanders just created negative news for Democrats going into the convention.  Fall people exist when you are in damage control mode, i.e. getting fucked by the other side.  When you realize a story is only going to get worse you ask someone to commit American Seppuku.  This creates makes the headlines even worse but at least it means the other side doesn't have the ability to escalate anymore.  Why is Bernie Sanders the other side here?

You hate Debbie Schultz but she just took one for team democrat.  Bernie Sanders just hurt the democrats in the name of his bruised ego.  There's only 106 days until the election and he just made sure that a day that would have been dominated by "Tim Kaine, man who traveled the world to care for the world and did pro bono work to fight discrimination" just got replaced with "Democratic committee woman resigns, showing democrats are just as divided as republicans."  We can't get the day of Tim Kaine headlines back now.  They're gone forever, on the alter of Bernie FUCKING Sander's ego.

I see two possibilities and I dont know which one scares me more.  Maybe Bernie Sanders is so fucking clueless about politics he doesn't know what optics and message discipline is.  Or maybe Bernie Sanders cares so much about his bruised ego that he had to maximize damage to democrats just to be an extra big asshole to DWS.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 24, 2016, 06:10:19 pm »

Or maybe some people don't care about projecting a bullshit front for the sake of a political party. Honestly. This isn't the USSR, the Glorious Party doesn't get to just have everybody ignore things that don't prop them up, truth be damned.

All for the greater good, right?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 24, 2016, 06:11:37 pm »

Democrats have NEVER been good at message discipline. Even when they are united.

And I think you are grossly overestimating the "damage" this does. Most people don't know, or give a shit, who Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is.
I think this sequence of events actually helps the Democrats, because the issue of her leadership is off the table now, and thus won't cloud the story from the convention itself.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:23 pm »

Most people don't know, or give a shit, who Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is.
I know I don't!

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 24, 2016, 06:28:04 pm »

Schultz stepping down was probably the best thing that could have happened at this point, tbh. Deserved or not, she's been a magnet for bad publicity for these last few months, so it'll be good to have someone a bit less controversial there.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 24, 2016, 06:34:43 pm »

I think this sequence of events actually helps the Democrats, because the issue of her leadership is off the table now,

Bernie was the one who put it on the table in the first place.  He could have taken it off the table at any fucking time.

Most people don't know, or give a shit, who Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is.

So what?  It's an unforced, self inflicted wound.  This could have been dealt with discretely but Bernie Fucking Sanders wanted to humiliate Debbie.

We are running out of days here.  He just cost the democrats a friendly day.  It's all he ever does, cost democrats opportunities for complete bullshit that makes me wonder if he even is aware of how hard it is to run for office outside Vermont.  Just look at the signature concession he got from Clinton, that fucking free state college plan.  It makes it easy to label her a profligate liberal spender, and it takes her previous plan which was good for poor people off the table and it can be labeled shameless pandering because it is shameless pandering.  It's just handing ammunition to republicans trying to win back conservatives who dislike Trump's racism but have always voted against "tax and spend liberals trying to give your money to deadbeats" in the past.

Schultz stepping down was probably the best thing that could have happened at this point, tbh. Deserved or not, she's been a magnet for bad publicity for these last few months, so it'll be good to have someone a bit less controversial there.

The best thing that could have happened was Bernie saying let bygones be bygones and Schultz keeping her head down until her term was up.  Then we would have a day of stories about how Tim Kaine balances being a middle aged white man with having a midwestern upbringing while still finding time to be fluent in Spanish and the political darling of a swing state.

It's just... fuck.  Free news days are a precious commodity.  You basically get four of them, the convention days.  Tim Kaine by virtue of being a human Venn diagram gave team democrat a fifth.  Bernie by virtue of not giving a shit about the election just took that free day away.  It's not as bad as Cruz did but he is still ratfucking his own team... if it even is his own team.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:51:58 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 24, 2016, 06:48:13 pm »

Yes, because 106 days is far too little time for anyone to find out who Tim Kaine is.
If only there had been 107...but that crazed old fool burned it all to the ground! Oh the democracy!

Seriously...let's get some perspective here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:50:11 pm by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1249