Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1386598 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1095 on: July 24, 2016, 10:05:32 am »

but meddling is still meddling.

Where did all the people go who thought that people being salty in office emails was the death of the republic?  I thought for sure they would be up in arms about this.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 24, 2016, 10:09:39 am »

Where did all the people go who thought that people being salty in office emails was the death of the republic?  I thought for sure they would be up in arms about this.

I meant the Russians, not the DNC hating on Sanders.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 24, 2016, 10:18:55 am »

2 "People of colour" just sounds... meh.
FTFY
Cheers. Should have realised that this was the one time that a US-friendly "colo[u]r" needed a special detagging arrangement of some kind.  :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 24, 2016, 10:23:26 am »

Apparently Trump is backed by Russian money, due to American bank's refusal to fund him.

Anyone who votes Trump is now literally a Russian shill.

topkek
You mean Trump was lying when he claimed to be self-funded?

(Actually, I never believed this. Self-funded, AFAIAC, is paying all the bills out of your current account, not arranging lines of credit against the kinds of loan that business moguls can get hooked into to build mansions and the like.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 24, 2016, 10:33:39 am »

Apparently Trump is backed by Russian money, due to American bank's refusal to fund him.

Anyone who votes Trump is now literally a Russian shill.

topkek
You mean Trump was lying when he claimed to be self-funded?

(Actually, I never believed this. Self-funded, AFAIAC, is paying all the bills out of your current account, not arranging lines of credit against the kinds of loan that business moguls can get hooked into to build mansions and the like.)

That was mainly just the primaries, and even then, it wasn't 100%.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 24, 2016, 10:48:35 am »

So did I.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 24, 2016, 11:09:49 am »

So did I.

This one just says that Trump's company does business with people in Russia, which isn't surprising or suspicious in the slightest, which the author tries his hardest to spin into implying Trump is bought and paid for while loudly proclaiming that that's not what he's saying.

This one is just as full of circumstantial evidence and speculation. The guy is probably in Russia, sure, but the entire substance of their argument otherwise is "this was well-done, it must've been a government sponsored attack!" I'll wait for something a little more solid than that.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 24, 2016, 11:18:25 am »

Do you notice how the author didn't say Trump did anything?  Did you notice how the author DID say that the Russians did things?

It's the Russians that are trying to influence the election.  Trump is a candidate.  He is allowed to self advocate.

The guy is probably in Russia, sure, but the entire substance of their argument otherwise is "this was well-done, it must've been a government sponsored attack!" I'll wait for something a little more solid than that.

Did you read the article?  The smoothly run media blitz?  Your typical lone wolf hacker doesn't have good media relations skills to put it mildly.  Or the metadata indicating it was a group effort?

I mean, let's also look at the burden of proof you are applying here.

Case 1: People with absolutely no expertice in politics present a narrative.  Professional political expects yawn and dont give a shit.  Let's hear it out.

Case 2: A number of named security experts present a narrative and allow themselves to be quoted on the record.  Let's wait for something "solid".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:32:33 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 24, 2016, 11:53:37 am »

Well, of course. You're talking about two groups that are basically legendary in their incompetence :P

I mean, I'm joking, but only so much. There's a lot of folks out there that have been basically weaned on the absolute truth that political "experts" are all cranks, and security experts are an extension of the old memes about intelligence agencies, i.e. too late, too slow, and out of touch with the current state of things at best. It's basically bullshit, but at the same time it's a very pervasive narrative that can pretty easily influence how much weight is being given to a particular opinion.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:57:04 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 24, 2016, 12:01:54 pm »

But let's not forget that these incompetant boobs are ruthlessly cunning when it comes to subverting the will of the people.  :P
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 24, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »

Nobody cares, right? Experts say it doesn't matter. What's telling is that nobody in charge is saying that there's nothing there worth talking about, but instead are going on and on about how they were leaked by Russians.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 24, 2016, 01:03:08 pm »

Quote from: David Axelrod
I would ask her to step aside. I would ask her to step aside because she's a distraction in a week that is Hillary Clinton's week,

Quote from: Thomas Rid
"One of the most convincing details to me is how quickly this hacker apparently came out with this pretty sophisticated false flag operation, including leaking files and talking to various media outlets. It’s too smooth for one hacker."

Can you really not see the difference between these statements?  One is talking about what people are saying and not giving his assessment of the actual facts.  The other is presenting evidence that is part of the assessment of the actual facts.

The scary thing is the circular loop of self reinforcing narratives here.  Because people lied about DWS she is unpopular.  And then you cite someone talking about her unpopularity as proof to she did misdeeds.  But it's not a quote about her misdeeds, it's a quote about her unpopularity.

And this sort of mentality is all over the internet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:05:25 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 24, 2016, 03:25:38 pm »

Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:54 pm »

Fucking Bernie Sanders.  I really wish they would give him her job next.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 24, 2016, 04:31:45 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 1249