Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1386632 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1035 on: July 23, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »

Direct messages, probably.

My apologies, yes, her private messages. Twitter came up with a different name for them, supposedly that's how they make money. Bots seem to love the feature, anyways.

Yeah, I don't think Milo incited the battle either. It's becoming pretty clear that no one left preschool though. I guess it's foolish of me for taking so long to take notice.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1036 on: July 23, 2016, 07:50:30 pm »

I just don't think Milo incited or participated.
He was kind of a dick about it though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 23, 2016, 07:57:38 pm »

Given his long list of infractions and the nature of his celebrity, I imagine that he has incited many times in the past whether or not this particular one was his work.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 23, 2016, 08:09:11 pm »

Oh, he was.  I still don't like the guy.  I can't stress that enough.
"The distribution of this material is the price we pay for freedom in this country!"
Can't actually find the original quote.  Got quoted on WKNC college radio a lot between songs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1039 on: July 23, 2016, 08:14:03 pm »

And she actually broke Twitter ToS whilst insulting far more people and calling for targeted abuse, Milo does nothing but gets reported by Lesley and Jack has the cheek to pretend he was impartial - WikiLeaks' reaction is fucking hilarious here, I want to find the tweet where they're all "We're not defending Milo, fucks sakes we're defending free speech against feudal moderation." Classy
I wonder if we could get a decent lawyer to twist this around at anti-discrimination laws
I kept looking into this wondering why now of all times Jake would want to ban Milo over fucking_nothing.jpg and apparently it's because Ghostbusters really needed to do well ($500mil global) to make its money back or else not only would Paul's career end, he'd bring the Sony USA movie branch down.
At first it seemed like quite a safe move, bold progressive projects usually do commercially and critically well (see the Danish Girl or 12 Years a Slave for recent examples) AND this was going to be a reboot of a beloved franchise, which has in the cases of the Dark Knight, Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel Superheros, even the critically panned Batman vs Superman been phenomenally successful - with the recent decade being a deluge of reboots and sequels. I seem to recall the director of American Ultra complaining about how audiences only wanted to see the same shit (explaining why no one watched American Ultra), ignoring that American Ultra was the same shit with a different name - the reboots were different shit with the same name.
So - all round, safe bets.
Paul seems to have panicked upon the universally panned reception of the trailers. Good Lord, the criticism was immense. The CGI was worse than Scooby Doo. They made all the white girls physicists and the black girl a pleb. There was a total absence of jokes or comedy. It was a reboot that completely missed every quality that made the original a cult classic - it looked like it was going to be a dated, pandering piece of crap. That was before the hellish marketing began.
Paul responded at first with grace by cutting out the most poorly received scenes (leaving them for the end) and then disastrously by having his marketing team spread the news that everyone hated the film because they're misogynists, and not because the film is shit. They even went so far as to delete negative reviews but keep misogynistic comments up. The PR move was a critical mistake, because you can't force someone to watch your piece of shit out of sympathy - people aren't going to watch crap even if it's made by the Dalai Llama, and Paul Feig is nowhere close to cheeky Llama.
My favourite question for him has to be when he went on an interview and said men can't write comedies - someone in the comments asked him why then, was he writing one? XD
Salt reached legendary proportions when some youtube reviewer said he just wasn't going to watch the new Ghostbusters, because he thought the film wasn't for him. He somehow managed to get attacked by everyone from twitter to media journalists even though he was just some guy on youtube. Somehow threatening enough to warrant this level of pure salt. Private companies have more rights than consumers? Wat?!!
Of course he got harassed for this, but did the smart thing and just ignored it

Sadly Milo seems to have been a continuation of this :/
Thus you have critics like the one linked below just flat out lying to try and spin this narrative:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Milo was the biggest guy (4u) to say the film was shit, so even though he did nothing wrong, in order to protect 600 jobs Sony had to silence him, and Jake was more than happy to oblige because Milo had wrongthink.
This is why you don't try to replace quality with politics, least of all politics that a minority of consumers hold xD

Direct messages, probably.
@LWpost:Seriously, that got him banned?  What
Jack's banning based off of tribalism

Not very inclusive !

Source please? From what I'm seeing Leslie acted vindictively, far far worse than Milo - told her to stop being a victim and ignore the hatemail, which is not even close to the level of shit Leslie's walked away from.
In hindsight it's unsurprising that she didn't take that so well, because she didn't know you could do that. It's hilarious to say that Milo was a dick when Leslie was clearly calling for her fans to attack women she was calling bitches - she had no chill whatsoever and Milo did nothing wrong.
Paul tried to pull off star wars, but turns out he's talentless compared to JJ, so he instead decided to try and force commercial success by silencing negative reviews on social media - this can't work in the information age, and is a lesson all have learned well today.

*EDIT
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:27:34 pm by Loud Whispers »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1040 on: July 23, 2016, 08:31:59 pm »

Source please? From what I'm seeing Leslie acted vindictively, far far worse than Milo - who just told her to stop being a victim and ignore the hatemail.
Well yeah, Leslie was definitely overreacting there, but at the same time Milo was criticising her for complaining about her remarkably vitriolic hatemail.
Frankly I don't think anyone handled the situation well. I don't know if Twitter was justified in banning Milo in a straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back sense, but it definitely looks like their management is a bunch of schoolchildren gender studies graduates.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 23, 2016, 08:43:07 pm »

schoolchildren gender studies graduates.

I dont see why you can praise the depth of knowledge they have about the topic that strongly.  They have a policy of providing no explanations whatsoever.  Sure they might care deeply about gender issues but you dont have anything to prove that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 23, 2016, 08:56:09 pm »

First, I'm a Regressive.

Fuck all those liberal punkass wannabe regressives.

Second, if Milo really was responsible for GamerGate becoming a thing, and thus SJW and all the terms associated with that shit becoming a regular part of our culture, I hate him with the sort of fury I otherwise reserve for Beckles and Kellogg's, but banning him is shit tier, especially over such transparent reasons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1043 on: July 23, 2016, 08:56:25 pm »

Well yeah, Leslie was definitely overreacting there, but at the same time Milo was criticising her for complaining about her remarkably vitriolic hatemail.
You're talking about Milo, do you understand the hatemail he gets? No one ever talks about him with sympathy, no one shows the tweets from Leslie's fans begging her to follow the first rule of the internet: Don't feed trolls. Because if they did, they wouldn't be able to spin the narrative of Milo leading a targeted campaign of abuse that never was, whilst Leslie did lead a targeted campaign of abuse against that "bitch" and of course - if all news says it, and no one checked the actual sources, that would be forever the narrative. It is spooky that someone who did nothing becomes the ringleader against an innocent victim who actually broke the rules they got banned for. Then the media on political lines side up and defend who they want to defend on partisan lines, and no one bothers to just check the source and see what's up. wot

And how is it fair to just remove anyone who criticizes you? People are already livid with copyright law being used to remove criticism with fraudulent claims, now all you need to do is be friends with the company and it's easier than ever to get someone permanently banned just because you want to avoid criticism.

Frankly I don't think anyone handled the situation well. I don't know if Twitter was justified in banning Milo in a straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back sense, but it definitely looks like their management is a bunch of schoolchildren gender studies graduates.
My favourite social engineers aren't even twitter, but facebook, who decided that they're impartial - if they remove certain political leaders or movements' news, posts or information surrounding it from your feed, that's not being biased because they're not endorsing a candidate, they're just tanking one.
Crazy amount of power they hold, glad to see they're starting to get the same level of scrutiny we give to all our media

Leakytwitter get hype

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 23, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »

In other news, I hear Clinton picked a super bland but safe VP, probably to court more middle-ground votes, is that a sound explanation?

Oh, and the thing about Sony killing non-misogynistic comments seems to be the case. As she points out, she completely agrees with the guy getting attacked over the movie, and she notes that it is fucked up that she isn't getting the same sort of hate for saying the same things, so props to her.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:13:04 pm by Max™ »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1045 on: July 23, 2016, 09:13:24 pm »

In other news, I hear Clinton picked a super bland but safe VP, probably to court more middle-ground votes, is that a sound explanation?
Tim Kaine is her running mate, the Senator for Virginia

Kaine speaks Spanish, will be invaluable to fighting for the battleground of Virginia (one of the most important ones in the election) and is altogether uncontroversial. No one hates Kaine, so bretty good choice for Clinton

Oh, and the thing about Sony killing non-misogynistic comments seems to be the case. As she points out, she completely agrees with the guy getting attacked over the movie, and she notes that it is fucked up that she isn't getting the same sort of hate for saying the same things, so props to her.
Hopefully Sony Japan will sort out Sony America's shit
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:15:22 pm by Loud Whispers »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 23, 2016, 09:16:27 pm »

... man, some of y'all must have an incredibly poor opinion of toady. Twitter gave that critter a hell of a lot more leeway for a hell of a lot longer than he would have got around here...

As for kaine, well. More or less. Except significantly better than just that because
{NOD INTERRUPT}
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 23, 2016, 09:22:05 pm »

... man, some of y'all must have an incredibly poor opinion of toady. Twitter gave that critter a hell of a lot more leeway for a hell of a lot longer than he would have got around here...

As for kaine, well. More or less. Except significantly better than just that because
{NOD INTERRUPT}
Toady doesn't say he's neutral though. He just doesn't put up with bullshit, period. It's his forum, it's not a commercial media platform.

I don't have to see ads or anything to come here. I just have to not be a dick. Which is a fine trade-off for me.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1048 on: July 23, 2016, 09:24:44 pm »

Well the last time someone overreacted over nonexistent attacks on Bay12 Toady responded fairly and just told everyone to calm down and stop being mongs (in more eloquent terms). It was handled perfectly, and Toady didn't ban people who didn't break any rules whilst giving pass to people calling for targeted abuse. Then there is the issue of market share, when one company gains dominance - hence why if google took it upon themselves to overtly change link placements to support the Presidency of Deez Nuts with overwhelmingly positive articles given priority to future President Deez Nuts (whilst promoting DNC/Hillary email leaks, anything Trump says), the Republicans and Democrats would obviously cry foul and let loose the hounds of war. Bay12 does not shape the world, Twitter facilitated Euromaidan and the Arab Spring - Twitter not even pretending to be impartial is serious, juicy news.

Because it would be hilarious to have Kaine run as President next term and make Spanish the official language of the USA

Then merge with Mexico to become unstoppable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1049 on: July 23, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »

I dont see why you can praise the depth of knowledge they have about the topic that strongly.  They have a policy of providing no explanations whatsoever.  Sure they might care deeply about gender issues but you dont have anything to prove that.
Fair bit of circumstantial evidence in their policy decisions

Like this exact incident

You're talking about Milo, do you understand the hatemail he gets? No one ever talks about him with sympathy, no one shows the tweets from Leslie's fans begging her to follow the first rule of the internet: Don't feed trolls.
Eh. I don't think it's unreasonable to complain about hatemail. Obviously it's really dumb to if you want to avoid more hatemail, so -10 points to Leslidoor.
Milo does get tons of shit, and AFAIK he's pretty mature about it. Props to him for not being dumb. At the same time I do think his comments here were pretty rude. Leslie didn't deserve the hate she got and it's not fair to belittle that, even if her reaction was basically retarded.

I was thinking about that, actually. I respect Toady's moderation style but I don't think it's appropriate everywhere. Twutter and facebook are so on are pretty lenient (until someone decides you're somethingist) which seems appropriate given the volume and variety of content.
I like reddit's approach of decentralised moderation. *chan boards are basically Somalia.
We do need the variety to give shitheads somewhere to go that isn't with other shitheads of a different sort. Different communities need different rules and one size does not fit all.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1249