Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387001 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #960 on: July 23, 2016, 08:59:10 am »

O'Malley would probably eagerly accept an Energy Seceretary position.
Oh yes please!  Energy and the environment didn't get enough time in the debates.
Who's this "O'Malley" though :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 23, 2016, 09:50:00 am »

I mean. There's like one problem core bernie supporters have that probably won't get addressed to some degree by the convention, and that's existence of a goddamn government to begin with. Anti-establishment is pretty much the only thing the dem platform doesn't already address. That and the genghis thing (not enough that I must win, et al), I guess.
Umm...wha? When did I miss a memo and the Sanders' camp become Tea Partiers?
Wanting reform != BURN IT ALL DOWN

If anything, the Sanders people want more government, in that they want the private sector out of a lot of public goods like higher education (and lower education, for that matter), social services and the like.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 23, 2016, 10:01:59 am »

... have you not noticed how incensed a good chunk of the more fervent sanders folks are about pretty much all of our governmental institutions? They want more public goods, sure, but they also want less politicians, the current handling of said goods torn down (and maybe rebuilt, maybe not), and a bunch just kinda' want to see the current organizations burn and to hell with the consequences. Much of sander's core doesn't want reform, they want revolution. Anti-establishment is pretty bloody core to the ones that are actually behind sanders more than they are the democratic platform in general.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #963 on: July 23, 2016, 10:42:18 am »

Best case: Bernie is made DNC Chair; that would give him significant influence over the direction of the party, while also allowing him to remain in the Senate.

More likely case: He gets some sort of shitty participation trophy, and nothing actually changes.

Worst case: As Bernie prepares to give his big prime-time speech, Fight Song begins playing; on cue, he and his delegates are fired upon by hidden crossbowmen. Outside, the mass of Sanders supporters gathered in FDR park is massacred by an army of Clinton supporters. As Hillary cackles gleefully, Jane Sanders takes Debbie Wasserman Scultz hostage and demands that Bernie be allowed to leave unharmed. After a moment, Hillary responds, "Nah, I can appoint a new DNC Chair." Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) then fatally stabs Bernie, saying "The Clintons send their regards." Jane cuts DWS's throat, and has her throat cut in turn by Huma Abedin. Cut to credits, no music. :P
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #964 on: July 23, 2016, 11:01:00 am »

http://imgur.com/gallery/ebUd5
Rofl Bernies are still mad the DNC didn't support their candidate

Fav highlights:
"Don't send me an email like this again. You know Alex. Don't be a dick."
Dammit Justin why you gotta be a dick

"These are small-picture people."
OH SHIT, THE HIGH INFORMATION VOTERS JUST GOT SMALL-PICTURED

"If she (Hillary) outperforms this polling, the Bernie camp will go nuts and allege misconduct. They'll probably complain regardless, actually."

"She doesn't want the people to know her relationships on Wall Street. She wants to achieve consistency and the best way to do that is to keep the people ignorant." Ahahaha, that's why American media is so shit, they want Americans to be myopic on purpose
Sorry Americans, your media a shit :[

">MSNBC worse than Daily Mail
>Literally Shillary
Pick two??

Fucking Joe, almost as bad as Alex

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 23, 2016, 11:13:50 am »

... have you not noticed how incensed a good chunk of the more fervent sanders folks are about pretty much all of our governmental institutions? They want more public goods, sure, but they also want less politicians, the current handling of said goods torn down (and maybe rebuilt, maybe not), and a bunch just kinda' want to see the current organizations burn and to hell with the consequences. Much of sander's core doesn't want reform, they want revolution. Anti-establishment is pretty bloody core to the ones that are actually behind sanders more than they are the democratic platform in general.

They want less of the /current/ politicians. You know, the ones that absolutely nobody likes? It's not an uncommon opinion.

I can't speak for all Sanders supporters, I was only mildly one, and I've since given up on him due to some poor choices he's made in campaign management in the later parts of the primary cycle, but government reform was the second thing on my list that I wanted from him. First was universal health care. At heart I'm way out to the left on most issues, but being left on many issues requires the government to have power to do things, power I'm only willing to give up to someone I trust. I do not trust the government as it exists. Nor do I trust anyone currently running. Sanders was someone I thought I could trust, but that was eventually lost.

I'm certainly not saying burn it all down (although I'm certainly open to the argument of that attitude) but I'm not going to take a house, standing as it is, and when I pull rotten wood from the structure of it, replace it with yet more rotten wood.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 23, 2016, 11:16:30 am »

snip

I don't see how that is bad for MSNBC. All you have there is that the DNC wanted to complain because one of the shows (hosted by an ex-republican congressman) was attacking the DNC.

And of course they'd go right to the top. But they got his middle initial wrong, which shows that the writers of the email were not closely connected with him, they're just trying to "go to the top" to air their complaint. He's "Phil T Griffin" not "Phil A Griffin". Using his full name in this manner also implies they're not closely linked with the head of MSNBC. If they'd said "call Phil" or something it would be a smoking gun.

And there's zero evidence that MSNBC even reprimanded the show's hosts. They're still continuing along the same after all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:22:16 am by Reelya »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 23, 2016, 11:21:03 am »

Ex-Republican.

He's a traitor to his people.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 23, 2016, 11:24:12 am »

ex-(republican congressman) I meant, obviously.

He's still registered as a Republican, and regularly gets asked to run as a Republican candidate. Most recent on record was 2009.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:27:02 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #969 on: July 23, 2016, 11:33:07 am »

I don't see how that is bad for MSNBC.
Perspective

A couple of host on MSNBC called out Debbie Wasserman Shultz bad behaviour. That's entirely within their rights to do so.
it's the DNC who took offense to that and complained. But we have exactly zero evidence that MSNBC pressured them to say anything different to what they were saying.
Also lol @bad behaviour

After all, the host of the show is an ex-Republican congessman. If they were as zombie-like following the DNC as you say then why would they have a Republican hosting the show? So there's no evidence at all that MSNBC are some sort of party drones for the DNC.
In London personal politics and media have no conflict, so people regularly transfer from media outlets to ones that are directly opposed to the other politically
In the USA I think this is also happening, so you have things like Huffington Post being very left wing socially whilst run by a "former conservative" and Wall Street Journal is liberal yet with a conservative editorial e.t.c.
Even Fox News takes contributions from Evan Bayh (Democrat Senator) or Dennis Kucinich (former Democrat Congressman) and I doubt anyone would argue that Fox News isn't clearly right-wing. I don't think they're zombie-like, nor do I particularly care if they follow the DNC, it is not unusual for news media to sponsor a politician/party anywhere in the world - I just intended to post the things I found funny, and the opportunity to laugh at MSNBC's expense alongside Fucking Joe is two sides in orbit for the price of one

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 23, 2016, 11:35:54 am »

I'm not sure what you meant by "perspective" making MSNBC look bad.

The hosts were right to say it like they saw it, so that part is legit opinion.

And there is no evidence that the head of MSNBC kow-towed to the DNC, so that part has zero evidence of executive meddling.

All we know is that the DNC wanted to complain about the negative coverage. The fact is, there's no follow-on email, which implies that the complaint was ignored by MSNBC. Which is as it should be, because the head of a TV network has no place ordering show hosts on what they can and can't say.

But "ordering you on what you can and can't say" - unthinkable anywhere else, is exactly how ex-FOX News workers describe the place. Go watch "Outfoxed" which is a documentary solely consisting of people who used to work for FOX News. They describe how it was basically Men in Black dictating what you can and can't write, with Roger Ailes keeping a tight control of the message: a lot like you'd imagine working in Soviet State TV to be like. These journalists had all worked at various news outlets, and say they had never experienced anything like that anywhere else.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:47:42 am by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 23, 2016, 11:48:59 am »

Best case: Bernie is made DNC Chair; that would give him significant influence over the direction of the party, while also allowing him to remain in the Senate.

OMG, this would actually be the best possible outcome.  Shove him in the most thankless job out there and let him see how hard it is to make this shit work when one isn't even allowed to defend oneself against baseless accusations.  Watch as the politician you insisted was different becomes a byword for inaction and controversy overnight.

Well actually no, then you would just call him an establishment sellout, move on to the next sexy thing and nothing would change.

Not only is he almost certainly more useful to the party in the senate by a significant degree, he's not exactly been doing the most bang up job of building bridges with other politicians.

+1 he is in a position entirely based around drawing attention and excitement to things as a senior member of Senate leadership.  In the cabinet it's all about working behind the scene and avoiding any news unless it's some part of the presidential agenda.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ebUd5
Rofl Bernies are still mad the DNC didn't support their candidate

Six months ago: The DEMOCRATIC ESTABLISHMENT is making up excuses to not endorse him and have no reason to prefer Clinton over him

Now: The DEMOCRATIC ESTABLISHMENT can't be trusted because they had all these reasons to prefer Clinton over him.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:53:01 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:24 pm »

Is this appropriate point to declare that all the Bernie supporters are going to shift libertarian and catapult Johnson 2016 to victory?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 23, 2016, 12:27:59 pm »

... Bernie Supporters in addition to "Vote your conscience" Republicans.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 23, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »

Is this appropriate point to declare that all the Bernie supporters are going to shift libertarian and catapult Johnson 2016 to victory?
If by "all" you mean "20% or less"... maybe. Pretty sure that was the ballpark that said they weren't voting dem if sanders didn't get the nomination.

Well, except that victory thing. Catapult to less irrelevance would probably be more accurate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 1249