Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387087 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #930 on: July 22, 2016, 05:09:21 pm »

Oh man, it turns out that the DNC had information that makes the Bernie campaign look incompetent and not a serious bid for president.  Debbie Schultz, the same woman that was supposedly doing everything to derail the campaign had to personally make sure that the Sanders campaign bothered to nominate people to the committees they would later accuse of being in the tank for his opponent.  I mean it's not as big a deal as when Debbie Schulz privately lobbied the Clinton campaign for more debates but it came a lot sooner in the process.

No doubt Sanders people will be very attentive to this information.  Even as the Sanders campaign was attacking her, she was sitting mum on information that would have helped her and make them look like jackasses.  Surely now all the supporters of Bernie Sanders will realize how unfairly they treated this woman.

Where's the context to the first one, and would be good to have corresponding people saying that they also had the same experience. Not saying that I don't believe you, just that there needs to be some corroborating info.

Also, the fact that his campaign is poorly managed (heck, look at Trumps) isn't too big of a surprise since he admitted, publically, that he only ran in order to get camera time.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:18:42 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 22, 2016, 05:14:01 pm »

I'm just talking about the facts for the first one.  There was a thing the Bernie campaign needed and didn't even realize.  Schultz personally made sure they got it.  How do you contextualize that other then her doing her damn job?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 22, 2016, 05:19:41 pm »

Well, both of the 'outsider' candidate campaigns have been pretty amateur. Still, didn't help things when they scheduled the debates in a way that appeared to favor Clinton.

@misko: Except that both candidates look like they're going in the same direction with their VP candidates, basically someone as neutral, vanilla, and 'unexciting' in the sense that they have lower key personalities. Trump went with Pence, who is about as conservative and vanilla republican as they come, while from all appearances, it seems like Clinton might do the same http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/clinton-vp-pick-tim-kaine-226013 (the pick hasn't been announced yet, despite the somewhat misleading url).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:22:58 pm by smjjames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 22, 2016, 05:36:58 pm »

Veep picks are made primarily on the basis of movement ranges.
Noob-trap though. Obviously, a high movement range is useful, when it comes to the nitty-gritty movement ranges have a lowish winrate for a reason. People ignore more important things like synergy with the rest of your campaign. The classic example is McCain having what I consider to be a fairly tanky campaign, but instead going with a hyper-aggressive VP pick that was more of a liability than anything back in the '08 tournament. Terrible choice: forced to spend a lot of resources on defending a magnet for enemy fire when the whole point of his strat was to survive Obama's significantly more fragile build and string it out while poking holes in Obama's defense. And a high point cost to boot. Plus Palin's preferred terrain was terrible; Alaska? And all this for what? Her hyper-aggressive attacks played well enough on their own, but since she didn't fit with the rest of the campaign she was forced to go on her own to do any damage, but that left her vulnerable to counterplay and let Obama dictate the terms of the fight. Palin would have probably been better with Trump, for example, since he runs a hyper-aggressive lightening fast build that focuses on dominating the playfield and not getting bogged down in "fact on fact" fights that he never wins anyway. Biden, by contrast, was another unorthodox choice, but he synergized well enough with Obama's campaign that Biden was brought back for Obama's successful "aggressive defense" strategy as the reigning champion in 2012.

In any case, never pick a VP to dictate the terms of the fight, which is what you want with movement range. The Candidates' intrinsics are what define the battle; the VP's have intrinsics too, but again, it's a noob-trap. The only important stats for a VP are whether they have (USEFUL) favorable terrain bonuses or they synergize well with your build. Other than that you may as well go for a safe pick than one that will require you to go out of your way to utilize and may well do more harm then good.
This is how politics should be done, ok folks? I don't want to hear any more of that boring real world shit, all /tgpol/ all the time, got it?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 22, 2016, 06:26:10 pm »

McCain had no choice but to try to cheese.  He already did his presidential bid when the housing bubble patch came out and being a war hero got nerfed into the ground while Democratic economy attacks had that ridiculous buff.  He was sitting there with a stack full of nothing but lame ass powers like "suspend my campaign" and had to gamble on a long shot to even have a chance.
Ugh, '08 version was a while ago so I might have forgotten a little. It's true, McCain had few options. For me its just that running a tight, rigorous, defensive campaign is a decent choice when the odds are highly against you (on the other hand, given the situation Obama had the advantage and his strategy was entirely tailored to that, so both were following the meta to the extent that there was one for '08 - despite that I'd say its acknowledged Obama played incredibly good ground game, so it wasn't purely situational advantage). Despite that, its one thing to say "cheese," its another thing to embrace the cheese. It's true in all games with cheese: when you cheese, you go big or go home. Half-assed cheese just diverts resources from the fight. It was probably too late-game to go big cheese, but it was probably still costly in the end, and I'd argue the margin could have been closer. Of course, hindsight is 20-20: Live by the cheese, die by the cheese.

@misko: Except that both candidates look like they're going in the same direction with their VP candidates, basically someone as neutral, vanilla, and 'unexciting' in the sense that they have lower key personalities. Trump went with Pence, who is about as conservative and vanilla republican as they come, while from all appearances, it seems like Clinton might do the same http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/clinton-vp-pick-tim-kaine-226013 (the pick hasn't been announced yet, despite the somewhat misleading URL).
Sure, and that's ok. A little weird with Trump, since he's running such a meta-breaking (and I might even say "cheese-heavy") strategy that no one knew what to expect and figured he might well do something totally weird, but I'd say even then, there's nothing wrong with a safe VP pick. Of course Trump never really had a ton of options to begin with: the "Bridge-burner" rule he's leaned on so heavily has been working out fine for him so far, but one of the costs of using that rule (as well as unprecedentedly bad toxicity score, I mean damn he didn't even try to manage it) is you limit your VP pick pretty severely. Even there, though, there is always, always a safe pick if not a great situationally useful pick in the deck somewhere. And just because Clinton has more options doesn't that a safe pick isn't the best choice either, especially if trying to focus on bringing down Trump instead of going for a leftist bonus that might leave her vulnerable.

Again, hindsight. Trump may well have made a terrible VP pick or an entirely reasonable one. We'll see. VP's aren't usually game winners or losers anyway. I'm just saying that there is an argument to be made that Trump would have made better use of Palin than McCain would. Maybe Pence will give his build some much-needed stability (Trump's campaign organization skills are incredibad, and while in a build that tosses the meta out the window it's not a death sentence, it still bites him with those gaffes and unforced errors, as we saw during the convention event), or it could provide Hillary  with a target without dodge or evasion that she can just hammer away at. Time will tell.
Noob-trap though. Obviously, a high movement range is useful, when it comes to the nitty-gritty movement ranges have a lowish winrate for a reason. People ignore more important things like synergy with the rest of your campaign. The classic example is McCain having what I consider to be a fairly tanky campaign, but instead going with a hyper-aggressive VP pick that was more of a liability than anything back in the '08 tournament. Terrible choice: forced to spend a lot of resources on defending a magnet for enemy fire when the whole point of his strat was to survive Obama's significantly more fragile build and string it out while poking holes in Obama's defense. And a high point cost to boot. Plus Palin's preferred terrain was terrible; Alaska? And all this for what? Her hyper-aggressive attacks played well enough on their own, but since she didn't fit with the rest of the campaign she was forced to go on her own to do any damage, but that left her vulnerable to counterplay and let Obama dictate the terms of the fight. Palin would have probably been better with Trump, for example, since he runs a hyper-aggressive lightening fast build that focuses on dominating the playfield and not getting bogged down in "fact on fact" fights that he never wins anyway. Biden, by contrast, was another unorthodox choice, but he synergized well enough with Obama's campaign that Biden was brought back for Obama's successful "aggressive defense" strategy as the reigning champion in 2012.

In any case, never pick a VP to dictate the terms of the fight, which is what you want with movement range. The Candidates' intrinsics are what define the battle; the VP's have intrinsics too, but again, it's a noob-trap. The only important stats for a VP are whether they have (USEFUL) favorable terrain bonuses or they synergize well with your build. Other than that you may as well go for a safe pick than one that will require you to go out of your way to utilize and may well do more harm then good.
This is how politics should be done, ok folks? I don't want to hear any more of that boring real world shit, all /tgpol/ all the time, got it?
Why thank you. I'll be here all week. I'd totally play a politics tabletop though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 22, 2016, 07:11:25 pm »

It does sound fun doesn't it?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 22, 2016, 07:14:20 pm »

I have wanted to try out the game republic of rome for a long time now.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 22, 2016, 07:20:16 pm »

And Clinton picks Tim Kaine... I guess not surprising since both Trump and Clinton basically broadcasted which one they were likely to pick before the actual announcement, and possibly because they both went for predictable choices.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 22, 2016, 07:49:08 pm »

What do you mean? Also, Trump said that he didn't believe in the whole swing state effect and the last time a VP was actually much help was in the 60's. Obviously though, it's not the only criteria that they use to vet VP candidates, because since when is Alaska a swing state?

That's two jokes you've missed now mate. You're on a written warning. Have a pint and take your banter seriously in future.

What was the first one?
Hillary Clinton?  8)

Meh...the Kaine pick is neither dismaying nor exciting. It's a solid strategic pick -- white Southern male with both Senatorial and Gubernatorial experience.
Kinda makes you wish Kaine had had the cajones to run his own campaign.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 22, 2016, 07:58:52 pm »

Meh...the Kaine pick is neither dismaying nor exciting. It's a solid strategic pick -- white Southern male with both Senatorial and Gubernatorial experience.

And run the risk of getting steamrolled by the Clinton juggernaut? Sure, she isn't unbeatable, but theres a reason why the democrats kept waiting for her to make up her mind about running instead of starting to jump in as soon as the republicans started announcing candidacies.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 22, 2016, 09:00:24 pm »

And Clinton picks Tim Kaine... I guess not surprising since both Trump and Clinton basically broadcasted which one they were likely to pick before the actual announcement, and possibly because they both went for predictable choices.
I was kinda' hoping for that after hearing about the guy. Now comes the Nod references, ahahaha! This election just became significantly more pleasing to my sensibilities.

Clinton/Kaine 2016

PEACE THROUGH POWER

and yes, I know there's no i. Do you really think kane wouldn't use kaine as a pseudonym just to troll people?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:36 pm »

And run the risk of getting steamrolled by the Clinton juggernaut? Sure, she isn't unbeatable, but theres a reason why the democrats kept waiting for her to make up her mind about running instead of starting to jump in as soon as the republicans started announcing candidacies.
Yeah, but when Hillary comes to you and says, "Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy" you're supposed to scream "NOOOOOOOOO", cut your own hand off, and jump off the nearest high building. It's actually DNC protocol.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 22, 2016, 09:30:01 pm »

Well, if you're a space wizard, sure.  Kane's something, but space wizard he is not.

Honestly, kane's thing would totally be to say yes, then mastermind an internal takeover and rule from the shadows.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 22, 2016, 09:41:47 pm »

A big reason that Kaine is a good pick for Clinton is that he shores up her weakness with the media. Clinton has always been uncomfortable with (and suspicious of)the media. She's  hasn't held a press conference in about 230 days, either, which is not a good thing. Kaine, on the other hand, is really comfortable doing interviews, and spends a lot of time preparing for interviews--he's definitely no Joe Biden.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:43:39 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:03 pm »

Sorry, double post.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 1249