Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387128 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #870 on: July 22, 2016, 01:02:24 pm »

...probably not.
Unlikely to happen this election, or unlikely to unite the party?
Both? The dem party isn't really split at the moment, for all that some folks are particularly vocal about things, and he doesn't exactly bring much to the table for clinton on... pretty much any front. Their policy positions are close to identical on most issues, and most of the folks that were voting for him in the primaries appear to be content enough voting clinton. Add on his political history and general rhetoric style and he's just... not a good match for VP, basically at all. It could theoretically happen but it's pretty doubtful, and would probably be a fairly bad move it it did.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #871 on: July 22, 2016, 01:04:56 pm »

The job of the vice president is to be someone nobody wants in office, that way there's great incentive to not assassinate the president

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:28 pm »

The job of the vice president is to be someone nobody wants in office, that way there's great incentive to not assassinate the president

In that case, she should choose Ted Cruz.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 22, 2016, 01:09:21 pm »

and he doesn't exactly bring much to the table for clinton on... pretty much any front.

Although he is suddenly useful to have in the Senate due to his rockstar status.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 22, 2016, 01:10:31 pm »

In that case, she should choose Ted Cruz.

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 22, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »

It's probably unlikely, but I really hope it does happen.  I'd love for the berniebros to be happy on election day, instead of jadedly having to vote for an establishment candidate (or spitefully vote Trump).  I mean, I believe in the primary results, but I'd love for everyone to be happy. 

Clinton's going to win anyway, but together I think they'd win a much stronger popular mandate.  Less bitterness amongst Democratic voters would also help in the congressional races, the ones that *really* matter for policy change.

Plus we'd get to see Sanders in more debates, which I think is only a good thing.  He's a good debater who stuck to facts instead of mud, and really raised the quality of the discussion.  (Clinton was alright too, mainly comparing him to the Republican circus of a primary)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 22, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »

Clinton's going to win anyway,

Would that I had your confidence.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 22, 2016, 01:18:02 pm »

It's important for a VP to have good chemistry with the President, too. For all of Biden's problems he seems like he genuinely supports Obama both as a Vice-President and as a person, and the President should have someone they can work with. Of course, that depends a lot on the President as a person, so its hard to make suggestions.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 22, 2016, 01:22:46 pm »

Sanders would be a great draw for teal and deep-blue voters, but Clinton's probably going to get most of those anyway. What she needs as a Veep is somebody who is very attractive to pinks. Sander's disrespect for the establishment would be a little helpful, but on specific issues the drums he's beating aren't going to draw in many, so there's not much advantage to Clinton, and Sanders would probably get more done if he went back to Congress instead.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 22, 2016, 01:25:13 pm »

Clinton's going to win anyway,

Would that I had your confidence.
Of course, Trump doesn't have a chance in the primary.  He's an entertaining joke, but voters will migrate to Bush or Cruz.
Wait, shit ):
So yeah I've been wrong before...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 22, 2016, 01:52:01 pm »

Clinton's going to win anyway, but only if I actually get up and go vote. Do not fall into the trap of complacency, fellow citizens!
Fixed.

When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #882 on: July 22, 2016, 01:55:19 pm »

I think Trump plans to pull a Brexit -- seem so rediculous that nobody puts in the effort to stop it until too late.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 22, 2016, 01:55:44 pm »

I think America should modify it's voting system with 'negative votes' becoming an option to facilitate additional moderate parties.

Individuals can choose to make their one vote either for one candidate or against one candidate. This allows moderate people to vote against extremism they currently oppose without supporting the (to-them) less-evil extremism that may end up screwing them over and gives them a place for their voice if they are not educated on the moderates' policies due to limited small-party exposure/ campaigning. In this manner the corrupt two-party system where you are forced to choose the lesser of two evils (turd sandwich or giant douche) is hamstrung. Third-party moderate candidates would currently have an excellent chance to unify the country under a moderate government and far-wing politics would be very risky.

Also, candidates accumulating negative vote totals are severely punished.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 22, 2016, 01:57:09 pm »

I think America should modify it's voting system with 'negative votes' becoming an option to facilitate additional moderate parties.

Why not just do proportional representation?

Just imagine how much simpler things would have been this election.  The BernieBros would vote for their team.  The $hills would vote for our team.  Afterwards they would count the votes and the winners would bargain with the losers to get what they want.  If the bargaining betrays the will of the people, that party wont get votes in the future.  No fuss, no muss.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:59:10 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 1249