Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387314 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #751 on: July 21, 2016, 03:35:41 pm »

The Nazis appropriated the salute from the Romans, like they appropriated the Swastika. (Sadly, due to pro/anti Nazi propaganda, both are now frequently associated with Nazis in media.)
So this is just Trump and Ingraham celebrating their "Italian heritage"?
No, this is just me bemoaning the loss of both symbols to the Nazis.
Honestly the biggest loss for me is their uniforms. Nazi uniforms were very good.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 21, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »

The Nazis appropriated the salute from the Romans, like they appropriated the Swastika. (Sadly, due to pro/anti Nazi propaganda, both are now frequently associated with Nazis in media.)
So this is just Trump and Ingraham celebrating their "Italian heritage"?
No, this is just me bemoaning the loss of both symbols to the Nazis.
Honestly the biggest loss for me is their uniforms. Nazi uniforms were very good.
Hugo Boss.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 21, 2016, 03:47:29 pm »

Fam, that cray cray

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #754 on: July 21, 2016, 03:58:45 pm »

Still no shit on Polish Winged Hussars.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 21, 2016, 04:00:12 pm »

I think the whole arm debacle is kind of silly. Do we really have to watch our arms that closely so as to not accidentally perform any tabooed arm gestures?

I'm not going to deny that it has pretty shitty connotations, but implying that it was intentional is kind of silly.

But back on topic, hell yes Polish Winged Hussars.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 21, 2016, 04:09:04 pm »

Wasn't that brought up before when people thought he made people do a nazi salute at a rally?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 21, 2016, 04:27:54 pm »

Wasn't that brought up before when people thought he made people do a nazi salute at a rally?
The one at Nuremberg, yes?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 21, 2016, 04:40:18 pm »

Still no shit on Polish Winged Hussars.

Psh, I can't wait for Trump to be elected president.  Russia will invade eastern Europe and smack aside your silly polish cavalry and german tanks.  Finally the might French army will be restored to it's place of glory.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #759 on: July 21, 2016, 04:41:09 pm »

It could have been worse. It could have been Bernie.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 21, 2016, 04:48:02 pm »

Bernie.

"...so about those 565 submarine launched ICBMs that five countries keep around as a second strike and aren't launched until days later..."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 21, 2016, 04:49:25 pm »

I think the whole arm debacle is kind of silly. Do we really have to watch our arms that closely so as to not accidentally perform any tabooed arm gestures?
Well, we don't, generally,* but there's be an argument that public figures in front of crowds might want to be a bit more aware of how what they're doing (intentionally or not) can be interpreted than the average joe blow. Like, yeah, I'm not going to let a POTUS get away with accidentally doing a nazi salute (or just much of anything that looks like it, really) in germany or somethin'. You get less chances to say oops on stuff that bloody basic when you're a major politician.

It's perhaps unfair, but considering the amount of power these people are jockeying for I'm not sure the heightened standards aren't appropriate, particularly when it comes to those sorts of communication issues. If you can't manage to not make easily misinterpreted arm gestures, I'm probably going going to count that as a point against, m'self, at least if you're on a stage or addressing the nation or whatever. There's a lot of things I'll consider mitigating circumstances or relatively irrelevant for a politician but that's kinda' really basic in the worst sort of way for a public figure. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's something that you look at a politician, particularly one that's going to be doing much that involves interpersonal communication, and think maybe they need to find a less public position to help the country out and it might just be a good idea to keep them far far away from anything involving public speaking or diplomacy or things of that nature.

*Though sometimes, yes, you kinda' do. You may have trouble convincing an authority figure or whathaveyou that you weren't intending to flip them off when you incidentally extend your middle finger for whatever other reason, ferex. Pointing, adjusting glasses, whatever. I've actually got in trouble a couple times in my life for not paying attention to the latter, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 21, 2016, 05:00:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Nazi salute was the US pledge of allegiance salute or whatever you call that weird ritual where kids swear to defend the country instead of swearing at the teachers like UK kids.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 21, 2016, 05:01:58 pm »

... it... certainly hasn't been for the last twenty or thirty years, at least. You'd have to be having convulsions or slapping someone to extend your arm during the US pledge. It's hand over heart. Not exactly complicated.

Actually, with a little more consideration, I'm having troubling thinking of any US salutes of note that involve an extended arm. Even the military salute is a bent one. Closest we come to that is firearm related stuff, so far as I can recall.

E: Though if the pledge in whatever area you're in/aware of looks anything like the nazi salute, you, uh. Might want to check the area for white supremacist groups >_>
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:05:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 21, 2016, 05:02:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Nazi salute was the US pledge of allegiance salute or whatever you call that weird ritual where kids swear to defend the country instead of swearing at the teachers like UK kids.

I think children everywhere swear at their teachers.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 1249