Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387260 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2016, 07:39:30 am »

To be fair, for a lot of the US working population, daily light fever and headache is something they probably do work through something approximating regularly. Medical costs et al, something that's not coughing blood may not be something a lot of folks can justify spending the money and, more importantly, time, to get checked on.

That said, even if it is mosquito born and whatnot, the mosquito situation in the states, even in this shithole hellswamp of poverty, is... not nearly as bad as it is in a lot of the areas similar stuff is rather serious problems. Birth defects, maybe, I guess, but it's not like smoking, drinking, and drugs aren't doing that already. If zika actually manages to bat in the same ballpark as those I'll start being worried. As is it's a lot of smoke and attention but little fire, and pretty likely to stay that way so far as the US goes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2016, 09:25:47 am »

In unrelated news, American cops aren't even trying anymore.

I remember when my police would at least sprinkle some crack on people after shooting them in cold blood.
Is there an undeclared civil war happening in America?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 21, 2016, 09:34:28 am »

No. Not north america, anyway. There's definitely some problems (particularly stateside), but it's not that far gone by a fair amount.

Pretty strong argument to make for a few south/central american countries (Mexico, ferex), but the US/canada not so much.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 21, 2016, 09:38:36 am »

No. Not north america, anyway. There's definitely some problems (particularly stateside), but it's not that far gone by a fair amount.

Pretty strong argument to make for a few south/central american countries (Mexico, ferex), but the US/canada not so much.

Mexico IS in North America.

Anyway, yeah, saw that shooting thing in a The Guardian article and yeah, seriously what the heck?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 21, 2016, 10:20:37 am »

Central :P
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 21, 2016, 10:24:44 am »

Central :P

Geographically, it's North America. Heck, anything with a 'North America' category has Mexico in it. Hell, they're in NAFTA, the NORTH AMERICAN Free Trade Agreement. And yes, I'm aware of Mesoamerica which includes part of Mexico.

edit: Although, apparently, according to Trump, Mexico is part of Central America, or possibly lumped into South America along with the rest of Central America.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:28:28 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 21, 2016, 10:33:42 am »

Well since geography is arbitrary, it's a case where you go off reputable sources rather than argument. e.g. Britannica is a decent enough source.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Central-America

Central America does not include Mexico. But even if it did, that's not a problem - geographers divide the Americas into two pieces, not three, and Central America is considered part of the North American continent. The division point is the Panama Isthmus.

https://www.britannica.com/place/North-America

So Mexico is part of North America even if you exclude the part traditionally referred to a "Central America".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:40:34 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 21, 2016, 10:44:52 am »

... let me put it this way. It's been treated as central american the entirety of my life in pretty much everything I've actually encountered in person. Could be regional, I'unno, but it's definitely not just a recent trump thing or somethin'.

Regardless, yes, if you include mexico there's probably an undeclared civil war going on in NA. I've never really considered it a country lumped in with the US and canada, personally, but whatever. Point intended to be addressed was if there's one in the US, and there isn't. Carry on.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 21, 2016, 10:57:25 am »

... let me put it this way. It's been treated as central american the entirety of my life in pretty much everything I've actually encountered in person. Could be regional, I'unno, but it's definitely not just a recent trump thing or somethin'.

Regardless, yes, if you include mexico there's probably an undeclared civil war going on in NA. I've never really considered it a country lumped in with the US and canada, personally, but whatever. Point intended to be addressed was if there's one in the US, and there isn't. Carry on.

Considering that USA co-opted the name of both continents "America" to apply only to their single country, it's not a surprise that you have a restricted common-person usage of North America as well. If only that pesky Canada wasn't there with the temerity to be even further north, you wouldn't even have to include them in that. ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:04:59 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 21, 2016, 11:04:04 am »

Hey, Canuckistan and Greater Beansland can join the great nation of Murica as our hat and underpants any time!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:02 am »

Considering that USA co-opted the name of both continents "America" to apply only to their single country, it's not a surprise that you have a restricted common-person usage of North America as well. If only that pesky Canada wasn't there with the temerity to be even further north, you wouldn't even have to include them in that. ;)
To be fair, we were the first independent euro-nation-state in the Americas. If you snooze, you lose!
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 21, 2016, 11:15:49 am »

I've always heard of Mexico as part of north america in every context. So I guess it is just a regional thing...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 21, 2016, 11:17:49 am »

Eh, we'll claim canada. It can be american, if cold and odd. I've been to mexico. We don't claim mexico. We'll piss on it, but we won't claim it.

I mean, sure, probably at least a quarter of the reason a good chunk of the country is basically a shithole and even more of the reason there's actually what amounts to a civil war going on there is because of the US, but we have nothing if not a long and storied history of screwing people over and then pointedly ignoring what happens afterwards :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 21, 2016, 11:20:24 am »

Hey, Mexico should be grateful we took Arizona and Nevada from them, they turned out to be shitholes!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 21, 2016, 11:34:09 am »

Man the pro-Trump Republicans are pissed at Cruz not endorsing Trump. At least they now confirmed that voting on "conscience" is voting "against Trump". Nice.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1249