Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387405 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #660 on: July 20, 2016, 06:45:50 pm »

What the hell happened? More importantly, how do we fix it?

The republicans tried to maximize their political clout by going with plurality rule to create a unified front.  In congress they blocked anything a majority of republicans wouldn't vote for, even if a majority of congress would.  In the primaries they made it so "winner takes most" happened most of the time to try and create a unified front.

The problem is that in congress this meant that the most extreme faction had a constant string of victories while the moderates looked like dopes and in the conventions the extremists could seal things up against a divided field because that's exactly what the rules were designed to do.  It's just a different extremist won then they expected.

How to fix it?  Copy the democrats.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #661 on: July 20, 2016, 06:52:32 pm »

What the hell happened? More importantly, how do we fix it?
Blame the media

People are politically separated by geography, usually by country and metropolitan areas. Physically, environment shapes culture AND people tend to congregate around like minded people, so loads and loads of people band together in different areas of counties in ideologically coherent groups, separated from one another by distance and geographical barriers. So media is a chance for people who have radically different views to see what the other thinks and other shit like that, where geographically it would otherwise be impossible. But Kojima was fucking right, and not only do we have no interest in what other people think, we are actively opposed to even attempt to understand what the other thinks. Then we go online and go into our closed markets of ideas where shit just gets more and more extreme cos our searches cater to our politics, our communities exclude dissenting views, and it just gets worse. You can't stop it, but you can shitpost memes and pretend you're helping

Also nuke reddit
fuk asshol coltis

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 20, 2016, 07:04:01 pm »

Also nuke reddit
fuk asshol coltis

Too late, it's part of the $hill Lebensraum now ;)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 20, 2016, 07:55:07 pm »

Sweet zombie monkey jesus the TV said Trump's going to give details at the convention tomorrow. Or some old jackass to that was speaking to a reporter, anyway. Ones that, to paraphrase, will prove his credentials as a statesman and lay rest to doubts that he'll be a capable president.

Anyone know where I can get good prices on anti-swine umbrellas? I'm now terribly afraid pigshit will be raining down from the heavens in the morning.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 20, 2016, 09:52:38 pm »

He's going to give in-depth details on the size of his dick, Frumple. It's what America wants deserves.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 20, 2016, 10:12:49 pm »

No discussion on the Cruz thing? For shame. Ted Cruz, the most right-wing republican ya ever did see, decided that endorsing Trump wasn't for him. And he did this in a huge speech to the Republican convention, urging voters to "vote with your conscience". Outrage and chaos on the floor of the convention. If you made any bets that the folks who oppose Trump wouldn't lie down and accept the inevitable, its time to cash-in.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 20, 2016, 10:33:58 pm »

Dunno; it was viscerally satisfying to see Cruz booed, but it wasn't much of a push-back against Trump. Some actual denouncing would've helped, but then I guess he never would've gotten out of the convention center alive.

Seriously. Ingraham would've sent her Schutzstaffel after him.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 20, 2016, 10:36:29 pm »

It's a symbolic gesture but I'm not sure how it shows anything vis a vis taking things vertically or horizontally.  The guy who made personal attacks on Cruz's wife and father will still be the nominee, just without Cruz's help.  Cruz is just prepping for next time, not fighting this one.

Also, cool dude:
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 20, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »

And then there's Chris Christie's speech to the RNC, where he essentially conducted a show trial, gets his facts wrong, and (metaphorically) indicts Hillary for not being prescient.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 20, 2016, 11:25:48 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 20, 2016, 11:46:03 pm »

He has reached his true form, Lyin' Ted Ascendant Sodium Prince.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #671 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:39 am »

In unrelated news, American cops aren't even trying anymore.

I remember when my police would at least sprinkle some crack on people after shooting them in cold blood.

Going back to Cruz 2020, I'm kind of surprised that Ted was able to walk off stage without being torn to shreds by loyal Trump Shirts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 21, 2016, 03:08:52 am »

Wha?? Some cop just shoots a disabled person's carer, who was already lying on the ground with their hands up?

‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me, he said, ‘I don’t know.'”

Wtf! That cop needs to be out of service and to get mental professional help, not to take random shots at mental health professionals going about their actual job.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 21, 2016, 03:10:18 am »

Wtf! That cop needs to be out of service and to get mental professional help, not to take random shots at mental health professionals going about their actual job.
^^
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 21, 2016, 03:44:15 am »

One last point: I'm sure getting shot by the cops happens all the time to white mental health professionals.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1249