Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387003 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #945 on: July 22, 2016, 10:19:36 pm »

"Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy"

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 22, 2016, 10:42:10 pm »

What I like about this is that it's old enough by now to apply to itself.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #948 on: July 22, 2016, 10:51:32 pm »

mate
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 22, 2016, 10:52:50 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #950 on: July 22, 2016, 10:54:15 pm »

shit-tier meme bro
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:07 pm »

Yep.

Let's get back to the politicking, shall we?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 22, 2016, 10:59:39 pm »

yep, politikeying.

edit: Anyhoo, I wonder how much of a Sanders revolt we'll see at the DNC convention, I'm pretty much expecting one.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 23, 2016, 07:32:47 am »

yep, politikeying.

edit: Anyhoo, I wonder how much of a Sanders revolt we'll see at the DNC convention, I'm pretty much expecting one.

You act like any will actually show up. They'll all probably "have trouble finding parking". No embarrassing Cruz moments for HRC.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 23, 2016, 07:49:19 am »

Aye. Their problems won't get mentioned. Arguably, the reports should get mentioned by someone, but I have a feeling that they won't. Which is terrible, but I suppose that the Republican Party likely tried the same exact thing to avoid a Trump nomination. Doesn't make it right, but it does raise the thought that both party cores are rotten in some places.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 23, 2016, 07:59:44 am »

I mean. There's like one problem core bernie supporters have that probably won't get addressed to some degree by the convention, and that's existence of a goddamn government to begin with. Anti-establishment is pretty much the only thing the dem platform doesn't already address. That and the genghis thing (not enough that I must win, et al), I guess.

Everything else. Education, infrastructure, environment, business, corruption, foreign policy, etc., etc., etc. Are already core parts of the democrat agenda. And pretty much every single one of those is dead center or close enough to what sanders was intending to aim for. Their problems will almost certainly be mentioned, and most likely almost in their entirety.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 23, 2016, 08:09:08 am »

To be fair to them as well, I don't think they can exactly change their speakers around to address this mid-convention. That would be silly in hindsight, especially since all of the speakers have been arranged.

That said, I do want to see some kind of reaction to this. My shark cells smell blood!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 23, 2016, 08:27:17 am »

So last we discussed the possibility of a Burn vice presidency I got the impression most people here thought it wasn't very likely. How about other ministry posts, though? Do you think he would accept becoming part of a possible Clinton... I forget the american word for the group of chiefs or ministers or heads or whatever you call them, but anyway, what do you think?

edit: Oh wait, she announced her VP now? I can't really say the name is familiar to me (but I am an abroader, of course, so that's not very surprising). I guess it makes my question slightly apropos something though!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:30:27 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 23, 2016, 08:37:25 am »

So last we discussed the possibility of a Burn vice presidency I got the impression most people here thought it wasn't very likely. How about other ministry posts, though? Do you think he would accept becoming part of a possible Clinton... I forget the american word for the group of chiefs or ministers or heads or whatever you call them, but anyway, what do you think?

edit: Oh wait, she announced her VP now? I can't really say the name is familiar to me (but I am an abroader, of course, so that's not very surprising). I guess it makes my question slightly apropos something though!

You're thinking of the Cabinet. Sanders would probably be more useful to Clinton in the Senate rather than as a cabinet member.

O'Malley would probably eagerly accept an Energy Seceretary position.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:41:34 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 23, 2016, 08:41:58 am »

It's conceptually possible he could end up in some sort of important appointed position. Significantly less so than if he had dropped and endorsed earlier than he did,* but possible. Better odds to have some degree of influence in such matters. Kinda' unlikely either way, though. Not only is he almost certainly more useful to the party in the senate by a significant degree, he's not exactly been doing the most bang up job of building bridges with other politicians. Political capital the guy could expend to nudge some people around position wise is... probably not sufficient to do much. And beyond that, again, the guy's desired policies are not very different from the democrat ones -- just about anyone clinton will put in a position is someone sanders probably doesn't have much of a problem with, or would have recommended anyway.

S'just... you could probably comfortably say sanders came out of this primary better off than he was, so far as political influence goes, but it's also pretty damn certain he's came out a lot worse than he could have. Made some pretty notable mistakes, ones that are painfully obvious even to political plebs like, well. Me. And beyond that the guy is only nominally a democrat at this point. His party influence and general political influence over fellow politicians is... probably not going to be that great. If he decides to go independent again any time soon it'll frankly become kinda' shit, t'boot.

*His bargaining position became increasingly weak as his loss became increasingly certain, and he held on a lot longer than he probably should have, so far as that aspect of things goes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:44:19 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1249