Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391031 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #9345 on: November 02, 2016, 04:49:54 pm »

Maybe, no matter who wins, we just need to split the country. There are such firm political divides between red regions and blue that having a single unified government just doesn't make sense. The difficulty, of course, will be in resettling displaced people, but perhaps we can do home-swapping. If you're a liberal in rural Alabama (somehow,) you can switch places with a rural conservative in California.

Jesusland and Liberalia have been proposed before, but maybe the country is ready for it now?
Splitting the country is not a practical, practicable, or desirable solution. First and foremost because the country is by and large split on rural versus urban lines, and you can't get just one or the other. Second, because that's creating bubbles. I understand it's a joke or at least not a serious proposal. It still showcases a sentiment I very much disagree with. I suppose I'm just the sort of Democrat that RedKing wants to avoid being, though, with not believing that the most important thing is winning at all costs and thereby letting someone else get an advantage over me.
Don't waste your time; Baby Boomers are getting old and replaced with immigrants. Give it 20 years, and demographics will change significantly.

So long as this country doesn't do something stupid like heavily restrict immigration.
This doesn't actually solve anything though! Immigration is not good or bad of itself! Even when it helps individuals, it does not solve the root problems! In certain cases it can spread and perpetuate problems!

They said that about people dying ofd twenty years ago and they'll be saying it twenty years from now.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: November 02, 2016, 04:54:16 pm »

So if Trump becomes president and evidence is found that he had sex with a minor (before he became president), it would legally no be possible to impeach him for that? Would it be possible to arrest him though? Can a president be jailed?

I guess you're referring to this? The claim is being led or orchestrated by a guy who has a record of making outlandish claims against celebrities. So, it sounds extremely dubious. Also, the new 'accuser' is doing a press conference today apparently.

@country splitting: Yeah, just not possible, there is nothing like the divide that slavery had between slavery-allowed south and slavery-forbidden north. You can't draw a line saying all conservatives are here and all liberals are here, things are just too diffuse, which is why you more often see a political map of US election results as varying shades of purple.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: November 02, 2016, 04:58:34 pm »

So long as this country doesn't do something stupid like heavily restrict immigration.
In all honesty? I don't buy that it's possible, even if Trump were to be elected. Immigration on both sides of the law is the lifeblood of the US. The runner up in sheer numbers is Russia, and theirs is entirely different in nature to ours. Trump would hurt a lot of individuals but I doubt he, or any other person, could ever put a dent in immigration that wasn't caused by greater trends.
Entirely different in nature? I thought that the bulk of your immigration was in low-skilled workers from Mexico, which were then semi-legally employed for hard manual work near or below minimum wage, like gathering various agricultures, that the locals themselves wouldn't really do. About same as ours, with Tajiks diligently sweeping the streets and working on repairing road infrastructure. Doesn't seem all that "entirely different" to me, at least on that particular level...
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: November 02, 2016, 05:04:55 pm »

I guess you're referring to this? The claim is being led or orchestrated by a guy who has a record of making outlandish claims against celebrities. So, it sounds extremely dubious. Also, the new 'accuser' is doing a press conference today apparently.

Nope, I wasn't referring to anything, it was hypothetical, although slightly infleunced by that thing where he said 'I'll date her in 10 years' about a young girl and his general groping remarks.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: November 02, 2016, 05:07:38 pm »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: November 02, 2016, 05:14:44 pm »

@MSH - nice new persontext, old boy ;)

I still don't get the whole Clinton email "Scandal"

Because when you actually read the story it turns out that it wasn't even illegal and several other top politicians used private mail servers for their mail as well.

The problem is that she either made stupid or unethical decisions and it has the appearance of being very very shady, up to and including the destruction of evidence before investigators were able to actually look at it. But thus far very little of consequence has actually been found. It has been found that she did stuff that broke internal state department rules. And she mishandled classified materials which is on some level illegal. But thus far no malicious intent can be attached to that. And nobody is willing to prosecute anyway.

I'll be honest. I don't see that turning into an actual court case at all. But even by her own admission she made a mistake. And based on other peoples testimony she was warned multiple times by people with expertise that should have been trusted that she was making a mistake. I personally see that as a major flaw.

I, though not an American, agree with this. Opacity and accountability of the state is a big issue for me. Here in Sweden, all state employees are required by law to log all mail and email they receive and send, and I expect the same from all politicians. Just the action of setting up a separate, private server like that would be a huge red flag for me, and it would upset me greatly if I found out a government official had done it. It might not be Technically Illegal, but it clearly breaks the citizen-state trust contract, in my opinion.

That she is not alone in doing this is besides the point (although the ride she's been put on over it definitely reveals a difference in treatment/bias against her in comparison to the others that's guilty of the same thing). Really, the fact that it was the Cheney regime that started the practice, or at least that she learned it from, should be an immediate giveaway.

Splitting the country is not a practical, practicable, or desirable solution. First and foremost because the country is by and large split on rural versus urban lines, and you can't get just one or the other. Second, because that's creating bubbles. I understand it's a joke or at least not a serious proposal. It still showcases a sentiment I very much disagree with. I suppose I'm just the sort of Democrat that RedKing wants to avoid being, though, with not believing that the most important thing is winning at all costs and thereby letting someone else get an advantage over me.
Don't waste your time; Baby Boomers are getting old and replaced with immigrants. Give it 20 years, and demographics will change significantly.

This doesn't actually solve anything though! Immigration is not good or bad of itself! Even when it helps individuals, it does not solve the root problems! In certain cases it can spread and perpetuate problems!

They said that about people dying ofd twenty years ago and they'll be saying it twenty years from now.

Not to mention that "I hope my countrymen die" is an awful basis for a national spirit.

I'm Irish! Hi, American cousins!

Go home, Irish, you're drunk.
Love, scriver~

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: November 02, 2016, 07:15:36 pm »

I just don't understand why people accepted the callous deletion of evidence/obstruction of justice. At the very least she should have been punished for that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:18:52 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: November 02, 2016, 07:17:51 pm »

I just don't understand why people accepted the callous deletion of evidence/obstruction of justice. At the very least she should have been punished for that[/i.

Double standard? Bush and other people did that and they didn't get into trouble.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: November 02, 2016, 07:19:08 pm »

Did I say I didn't think Bush should have been too? Bush has more stuff to answer for, too, but Bush isn't currently running for President.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: November 02, 2016, 07:20:11 pm »

Did I say I didn't think Bush should have been too?

No, but you didn't the reverse either.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: November 02, 2016, 07:33:08 pm »

Did I say I didn't think Bush should have been too? Bush has more stuff to answer for, too, but Bush isn't currently running for President.
But Trump is, and Trump deleted/shredded things known to be important, rather than the mostly no-story stuff which is the best the Hillary-hounders can dredge up...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9356 on: November 02, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »

But Trump is, and Trump deleted/shredded things known to be important, rather than the mostly no-story stuff which is the best the Hillary-hounders can dredge up...
Do you see the irony inherent in accusing Trump of deleting important information

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: November 02, 2016, 07:40:25 pm »

Do you see the irony inherent in accusing Trump of deleting important information

In a broad sense, but not acutely, no.

Though I guess in Trump's case it'd be multiple broads.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9358 on: November 02, 2016, 07:41:54 pm »

what a strange world full of odd men this is

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: November 02, 2016, 07:42:54 pm »

No, not at all. Because I was already pointing out the irony inherent in accusing Hillary of deleting important information.  No take-backsies...
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 1249