Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387126 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #855 on: July 22, 2016, 11:02:21 am »

I think the idea of capitalism is allowing people to become admirals of their own capital warships. That's why it's called "capital"-ism.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 22, 2016, 11:23:40 am »

Interesting talk between Yanis Varoufakis and Noam Chomsky at the New York library last month, related to capitalism, the IMF and banks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WG-uEND74E
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:26:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 22, 2016, 11:29:43 am »

I think the idea of capitalism is allowing people to become admirals of their own capital warships. That's why it's called "capital"-ism.
I think the idea of capitalism is allowing sub-international level entities to establish their own local capital sites. That's why it's called capital-"ism".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 22, 2016, 11:30:13 am »

I think the idea of capitalism is allowing sub-international level entities to establish their own local capital sites. That's why it's called capital-"ism".
I think the idea of capitalism is allowing people to write romantic stories shipping various leaders in Washington.  That's why it's called "capital"-ism.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 22, 2016, 11:32:09 am »

Ok you win.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 22, 2016, 11:36:26 am »

Aww, I wanted it to keep going. :(
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 22, 2016, 11:43:23 am »

I tried to find that reaction image of the bearded hipster with crazy eyes and a cigar exclaiming "CAPITAL!" but failed ):
Probably just as well.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 22, 2016, 11:48:48 am »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 22, 2016, 11:53:29 am »

Nah....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 22, 2016, 12:06:10 pm »

So, Hillary is supposed to name her running mate sometime today.

Also, I wonder if the Democrat convention is going to actually talk about how they'll fix things rather than all gloom and doom and 'BURN THE WITCH!!!1!!1!!1!' and not offering any solutions. I thought conventions were supposed to be about how the candidate will change things and what the party wants for the future. Of course though, first time watching either party's convention.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 22, 2016, 12:29:55 pm »

Also, I wonder if the Democrat convention is going to actually talk about how they'll fix things rather than all gloom and doom and 'BURN THE WITCH!!!1!!1!!1!' and not offering any solutions. I thought conventions were supposed to be about how the candidate will change things and what the party wants for the future. Of course though, first time watching either party's convention.
Hillary/Sanders 2016: Unity.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 22, 2016, 12:34:26 pm »

...probably not.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 22, 2016, 12:39:45 pm »

...probably not.
Unlikely to happen this election, or unlikely to unite the party?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 22, 2016, 12:44:48 pm »

Hillary/Sanders 2016: Unity.
So why not?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 22, 2016, 12:49:14 pm »

I thought conventions were supposed to be about how the candidate will change things and what the party wants for the future. Of course though, first time watching either party's convention.

Well this is pretty much the platonic ideal of what you are supposed to try and do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWynt87PaJ0

It's simultaneously doing three things.  He digs up the republican dirty laundry but he always talks about that in the context of moving forward towards some liberal vision and then in turn relates that to broad non-partisan ideals.  Of course that is a pretty high standard as it's arguably the most effective convention speech in american history.  Generally I expect that the democrats will follow the same basic gameplan just without being world shatteringly amazing.  Insert problem in slot A: "youth unemployment".  Insert response in slot B: "free community college".  Insert value in slot C: "opportunity".

So why not?

The job of the vice president is to be the president's most enthusiastic supporter and have zero baggage.  If they come from a swing state that represents swing state values that's a cherry on top.  Bernie Sanders is neither and doesn't come from a swing state.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:18:30 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 1249