Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394333 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8520 on: October 24, 2016, 02:58:02 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34277960
Old news, but I just found this hilarious - Obama's nobel peace prize and how no one, not even Obama, wanted it given to him

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: October 24, 2016, 03:12:14 pm »

So how much do you think the USA should ban and deport Muslims in the advent of Trump winning?
I dunno, but it just hit me that if Trump wins, I may convert just so I can get a free ticket outta Dodge.
Guess I'll be changing my name to Ali al-Newzealandi and hoping they're so eager to get rid of me that they don't check.

I voted with the fury of a thousand suns this afternoon. Closest damn thing to a straight ticket I've ever voted. Good brisk turnout too, especially for a small town on a Monday afternoon.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: October 24, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »

Yeah, lucky you, I have to finally work up the power to either bite the bullet and find the electoral board in the middle of downtown or decipher NC State to use theirs. There's also one on MLK, but fuck that, even downtown is less of a hassle.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: October 24, 2016, 03:18:15 pm »

So how much do you think the USA should ban and deport Muslims in the advent of Trump winning?
I dunno, but it just hit me that if Trump wins, I may convert just so I can get a free ticket outta Dodge.
Guess I'll be changing my name to Ali al-Newzealandi and hoping they're so eager to get rid of me that they don't check.

I voted with the fury of a thousand suns this afternoon. Closest damn thing to a straight ticket I've ever voted. Good brisk turnout too, especially for a small town on a Monday afternoon.

Fury of a thousand sun? Stein?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: October 24, 2016, 03:26:31 pm »

Yeah, lucky you, I have to finally work up the power to either bite the bullet and find the electoral board in the middle of downtown or decipher NC State to use theirs. There's also one on MLK, but fuck that, even downtown is less of a hassle.
State's is at the Creative Services Center (1220 Varsity Dr). They were lucky to get one on-campus, considering one of the Republican members of the Wake Co election board voted against it saying that "students were creative, they'd find some way to get to other polling sites".

@Sheb: Gods no, what do I look like? I voted Democrat for everything but Secretary of Agriculture (NC). The fury thing was mostly for the state races -- I want to see the GOP flushed out of power in North Carolina and relegated back to the professional "bitching and moaning" spot they held for 100 years prior to 2010. It feels a little like in a fantasy novel when some horrible evil is unleashed after a long slumber, and the heroes work to bind the beast back in its prison for another 100 years.

EDIT: Besides, Stein would be the fury of a 1/1000th of a sun -- more potent that way. Homeopathic fury.  :P

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: October 24, 2016, 03:31:42 pm »

My problem isn't with going to State, per se. It's that I have no idea where to park. If they're anything like a lot of colleges, they might try to tow me if I just show up somewhere.

What'd the Republican Agri candidate do to impress you?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: October 24, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »

My problem isn't with going to State, per se. It's that I have no idea where to park. If they're anything like a lot of colleges, they might try to tow me if I just show up somewhere.

What'd the Republican Agri candidate do to impress you?
Steve Troxler's a hoopy frood.

1. He's not an ideologue. He supported registration of recreational poultry farming, much to the outrage of far-lefties and far-righties (because they seem to have a similar mentality to anti-vaxxers). And he mandated a ban on firearms at the State Fair. Which is a fucking no-brainer, but it got him serious hate from the far-right. He broke ranks with McCrory and his cronies on more than one occasion like this one.

2. He understands that tobacco is a dying industry, despite being a tobacco farmer himself. He's pushed rather successfully for diversification of North Carolina's agricultural sector, including wasabi production in the mountains, supporting the state's breweries and wineries (and our fledgling distilleries), and doing a lot of PR work to make NC pork and turkey a sought-after commodity overseas.

3. He's an actual damned farmer, not just some guy in a suit on the board of ConAgra or whatever.

4. Touching back on #1, he's an example of the sort of common sense, non-ideological Republican that's an endangered species in this state and which needs to be championed. If he loses, God only knows what kind of candidate they'd run next time. A preacher who wants to kill the brewing/winery industry because drinking is a sin against Jeebus? The head of Smithfield Farms, so he can remove all rules requiring the pigs to have at least slightly non-shitty lives, and likewise for the workers? Some Duke Energy flack who only knows agriculture from what he saw on his kid's Barnyard See N' Say? ("The cow says....moooooo")

If there's any knock on him, it's that he hasn't staked out a position on the ag-gag law (the one that made it illegal to do undercover taping of factory farms to document animal cruelty). But on the whole, he's done an admirable job.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: October 24, 2016, 07:24:26 pm »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: October 24, 2016, 07:40:06 pm »

Spent 3 and a half hours at the DMV today getting a license so I can vote. Will get a license in about 2 weeks, no clue if this temporary thing lets me vote or not. Will be testing that tomorrow. If not, it's off to the DMV for another 3 hours on Wednesday.

This, by the way, is what Republican voter suppression looks like in a red state.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:55 pm »

But all the people who own cars have a drivers licence!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:15 pm »

Has anybody ever thought the word 'liberal' would ever be associated with Brietbart? well, now it is: http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/breitbart-liberal-activist-230255

I realize this is the stuff conspiracy theories are made of, but sometimes, life can be stranger than fiction. Looks like the project veritas may have actually hit on a real thing, possibly indirectly though.....

Guy comes off sounding more like an attention seeking troll than a liberal activist though.

Not everybody drives you know, for various reasons.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:06:52 pm by smjjames »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: October 24, 2016, 08:08:09 pm »

In news surprising absolutely no one, trump likes to threaten to sue people
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: October 24, 2016, 08:17:04 pm »

Not everybody drives you know, for various reasons.

I think that was part of the joke.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: October 24, 2016, 08:25:06 pm »

In news surprising absolutely no one, trump likes to threaten to sue people
I liked the part where he threatened to sue Ted "True Zodiac" Cruz three times in a row.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 1249