Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393622 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8475 on: October 23, 2016, 11:54:26 pm »

One of the reasons I laughed my ass off during the Republican primaries is that I think at least one candidate called for an end of all government subsidies. Farmers make profits almost exclusively from government subsidies. Such a policy would only screw rural America over even further.

That may have been Trump actually. Or maybe Rand Paul, seems like something Rand Paul would do. Or maybe Santorum. I don't remember which one it was.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:03:10 am by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: October 23, 2016, 11:56:42 pm »

I may have missed what you're trying to prove or disprove here.

Well it started with I wanted to say that the myth that republicans win low income voters is wrong.  I think we covered that?

From there is meandered into a much more open ended thing.  So let me go back and start again.

Republicans dont have an advantage among rural voters.  Rural areas just dont have many minorities, jews, gays and post-doctorate holders.  The really strong republican bastions are with evangelical Christians, racists and rich old white people.  While most rural areas have some of these it's only a few rural areas that have crazy big numbers of these.  It's just rural areas have an overwhelming lack of the democratic groups.

So imagine you have the state of Demographia.  In it you have:
-10 evengelical, racist old rich whites
-10 black gay jewish mexicans
-80 demographically uninteresting people
You hold an election in Demographia and it's a close call with each side getting 50% of the vote.

Now take all the ERROWs from demographia and move them to Alabama.  Now when you hold the election, the liberals win it 50 votes to 40 votes.  So suddenly rural voters are liberal!  But they aren't.  Rural voters are average joes.  It's just they are average joes who are living without ERROW voters.

Now go back and instead take all the BGJMs and move them to New York.  All those rural voters in Demographia suddenly skew really conservative.  But it's the same voters.  It's just the voters contain evengelicals, racists and rich old whites and dont contain any black gay jewish mexicans.

Pretty much all the BGJMs left for new york a long time ago.  But the ERROWs mostly stayed put.  So that means that rural areas skew conservative.  But that doesn't mean rural people are conservative, it just means that all the liberals left rural areas.  But we can see a few places where there aren't any ERROWs.  Vermont is a place where there aren't any black jewish mexicans but there are gays and post-doctorate holders and there aren't many evengenlicals and racists.

The primaries are a horse of a different color but I need to stop staying up so late shitposting.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: October 24, 2016, 12:26:50 am »

I may have missed what you're trying to prove or disprove here.

Well it started with I wanted to say that the myth that republicans win low income voters is wrong.  I think we covered that?

From there is meandered into a much more open ended thing.  So let me go back and start again.

Republicans dont have an advantage among rural voters.  Rural areas just dont have many minorities, jews, gays and post-doctorate holders.  The really strong republican bastions are with evangelical Christians, racists and rich old white people.  While most rural areas have some of these it's only a few rural areas that have crazy big numbers of these.  It's just rural areas have an overwhelming lack of the democratic groups.
Hmmm. I come from Denton County, Lewisville to be specific, and lived all around Dallas as I was growing up.

Parts of Dallas are superduper Democrat, but it's a damn shock to see how purple Denton is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In case you aren't sure where Denton is, see the bluest part of north Texas? That's Dallas, Denton is just northwest of it.

To this day I can't imagine supporting Reagan, and the idea of anyone I grew up knowing, friends or family, doing so is absurd. The guy was literally standing there telling poor people to fuck off and hope some change falls through the cracks, but apparently further from Dallas that shit flies? Course, my mom had a couple of gay friends who I grew up knowing as "Uncles Michael and Steven" and never thought it that odd. Oh, we also had an old black godfather we called Booker-T who ruined his hands digging through a wall to escape a house fire with his little sister, so maybe it wasn't that rural, but we also had a pasture with a mule at the back of the yard, storm shelters on every block, and a Piggly-Wiggly down the road.

Edit to add: Oh, did I mention the corn field next door? Fuck, what a weird place looking back.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:30:38 am by Max™ »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: October 24, 2016, 01:17:23 am »

I can tell where I live without the state borders. It's two purple dots staring west into an ocean of fire.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: October 24, 2016, 01:30:38 am »

To this day I can't imagine supporting Reagan, and the idea of anyone I grew up knowing, friends or family, doing so is absurd. The guy was literally standing there telling poor people to fuck off and hope some change falls through the cracks, but apparently further from Dallas that shit flies?
Reagan won every single electoral vote except Minnesota and the District of Columbia. Apparently, it does.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: October 24, 2016, 01:47:10 am »

I can tell where I live without the state borders. It's two purple dots staring west into an ocean of fire.
Not sure which two purple dots to pick out, there's a lot of them.
To this day I can't imagine supporting Reagan, and the idea of anyone I grew up knowing, friends or family, doing so is absurd. The guy was literally standing there telling poor people to fuck off and hope some change falls through the cracks, but apparently further from Dallas that shit flies?
Reagan won every single electoral vote except Minnesota and the District of Columbia. Apparently, it does.
Yeah, I saw it better when I saw more of the country, confused why NM is so blue though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: October 24, 2016, 03:22:24 am »

Honestly, until they said the "Live from New York" bit I wasn't sure if it was just clips from the debate.

Ooh, ooh, I got bingo!
Oh wow, that Trump impersonator really looks like Trump. They should have gotten another Hillary though, this one looks way too young.

EDIT: Hmm, slightly worrisome that IBD polls show Trump in the lead, not Clinton.
http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-up-2-points-nationwide-while-clinton-campaigns-as-if-the-race-is-already-won-ibdtipp-poll/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:58:39 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8482 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:58 am »

"I can vividly imagine Ed Miliband handcuffed to a radiator."
I DID THIS FOR YOU
THIS IS THE FUTURE YOU CHOSE
I WARNED YOU ABOUT THE MEME MAGICKS BUT YOU DIDN'T LISTEN
NOW YOUR VOTERS DREAM OF RUNNING THEIR TONGUES OVER HIS ORANGE SKIN
I think this extradimensional meme cuckery has actually managed to defeat Mumsnet in terms of pure disturbing lust

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: October 24, 2016, 06:20:48 am »

I wonder if that has anything to do with Bonobo conflict resolution techniques.

Could we have become like the Bonobo in our evolution?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:22:20 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: October 24, 2016, 06:31:32 am »

Our closest cousin in terms of society structure is the Gibbon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8485 on: October 24, 2016, 06:37:19 am »

Our closest cousin in terms of society structure is the Gibbon.
Doubt it, gibbons aren't even sexually dimorphic
Moreover, human society structures are very varied and a great deal more complex than our primate cousins, inevitably comparisons will yield useful observations about ourselves but will not ever provide a satisfactory holistic comparison

Don't know about that but I reckon there's something going on in the West, where significant minorities fetishize whatever their culture opposes most, often to the extreme distress of those aroused by what they hate most. Could be a human thing if it's not just the West, much in the same way that Spanish flu wasn't Spanish, it was just the Spanish who talked about it. There's not much research done on this kind of stuff, in fact I can find nothing on why someone would fetishize everything they stand against so ~o.o~

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:51 am »

Don't know about that but I reckon there's something going on in the West, where significant minorities fetishize whatever their culture opposes most, often to the extreme distress of those aroused by what they hate most. Could be a human thing if it's not just the West, much in the same way that Spanish flu wasn't Spanish, it was just the Spanish who talked about it. There's not much research done on this kind of stuff, in fact I can find nothing on why someone would fetishize everything they stand against so ~o.o~
It's not really a mystery in any way. The very act of repressing a tabooed "bad thought" creates a surplus of desire towards the forbidden thing---and the more you try to repress it, the stronger it gets. For example, the denizens of /pol/ consider miscegenation the greatest sin in the world, and try to actively avoid having bad thoughts about such immorality. And surprise, surprise: they end up spending nearly 100% of their time, awake and asleep, obsessing over the sweet abominable vices of cuckoldry and race-mixing.

If you want more research on this stuff, read Freud.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:41 am »

Freud was a coke head, have you ever listened to a cokehead sober and believed them??
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: October 24, 2016, 07:55:30 am »

have you ever listened to a cokehead sober and believed them??
Can't say I have. Not in the past, and definitely not right now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: October 24, 2016, 07:56:50 am »

Freud was a lot of things, many of the just kinda' wrong. Not a very good source of psych findings. Actively a bad one, really. Best thing the guy ever did was get more people interested in the field, and that was substantially offset by getting them interested with bupkis.

Last I paid attention the taboo thing's only occasionally effective to any degree, and far from universal. Depends a lot on the specific subject.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1249